Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerrard, Lampard, or Scholes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lampard
    When was the last time Gerrard had a good season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lampard
    bohsman wrote: »
    But is that more impressive? One played directly behind the striker, one was a central midfielder.
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    One played most of the games behind striker and took penalties while other played in deeper role and (probably) never took a penalty in CL.

Gerrard scored nine goals last year as a CM in the league. He also didn't play as a second striker for all of his CL games. I don't think his goal scoring would have been hugely different if he played as a CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Brian? wrote: »
    Lampard and Gerrard are good players. I'd put them in the category of Glenn Hoddle. Seen as great players by the English media and followers of English football, but no one else.

you, quite literally, just made that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

RasTa wrote: »
    When was the last time Gerrard had a good season?

As recent as last season

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Waiting with my ban hammer...........

Yeah but is it a better ban hammer than Kess and Mars Bars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Kevin Nolan
    Gerrard, Scholes or Lampard is the question and in that order for me. They're 3 completely different types of players, personally I'd go for Gerrard as he's by far the most dynamic, athletic, game changing and versatile out of the three.

Scholes on the other hand is like a metronome, he's the only one of the three that would fit into the modern Barca/Spanish style of playing football. Lampard is an all rounder bit of everything with a knack of perfectly timed runs into the box.

It's interesting that all three of them have never been utilised properly by England, they've been stuck into flat 4-4-2 systems that limit their ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

SlickRic wrote: »
    in his younger years, he was brilliantly dynamic in central midfield. it's how he made his name. it's a bit of myth that's slowly become some sort of fact in people's eyes that he was never a great CM.

what happened was, Benitez wanted to use the explosiveness, while he still had it, where it was most effective. firstly in a free role, then behind the striker.

the fact that his best years were behind the striker does not take away from how good he was as a CM. Gerrard was mooted to be the subject of £30m bids while he was a CM.

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti was hell bent on taking Scholes to Italy, “We tried really hard to sign Paul Scholes, we gave United a blank cheque, we talked to him, his reply for short and simple, “If you want me to play for you, you’d have to buy this club”. One of a kind, he didn’t have an agent, so it was hard enough.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Kevin Nolan
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Gerrard
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah but is it a better ban hammer than Kess and Mars Bars?

It'll be more impartial, most people seem to be saying Gerrard or Scholes. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lampard
    Scholes was a different kind of player to the other two. You could probably have a straight comparison between Lampard and Gerrard. I still reckon Scholes was better overall. I prefer that kind of player.

Tbh, the debate on Sky the other night just reinforced my opinion that Carragher is going to be miles behind Neville in the quality stakes. Overly forceful opinions backed up by flimsy statements like "Why did Sven move him to the left to fit in the other two then?" Neville is far more clear in his thought processes and banks up his point with logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lampard
    Gerrard scored nine goals last year as a CM in the league. He also didn't play as a second striker for all of his CL games. I don't think his goal scoring would have been hugely different if he played as a CM.

How many penalties did he score in CL?

Anyways like I said in my previous post, Scholes is as good as anyone when it comes to scoring goal. So the post I quoted (first) was wrong when someone said Scholes can't match the goal scoring stats.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I have no idea why so many of the utd fans posting here are getting precious about anyone not choosing Scholes. Why do ye care?

As far as I'm concerned anyhow Scholes has been probably the best utd player over the years between 1994-2010 on a fairly consistent basis, and is the better player of the 3. I certainly wouldn't get all dismissive and high and mighty against those who have differing opinions. Seems pretty petty imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Lampard
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    for me the only one that was ever really amongst the worlds best was Gerrard from 05-09

Exactly around the time when Scholes was one of the best in the world.

Aside from the argument here, Carragher came across very clueless when presenting his argument the last night, while Neville managed his in a way without slighting any player. Bit of a schooling. Funny to see Jamie (and others) use goals as the basis of their argument. If that's the case then doesn't Lampard walk it? Take out penalties and the other two's stats are very similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Gerrard
    Neville > Carragher, pundit and player.

/runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kevin Nolan
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Neville > Carragher, pundit and player.

/runs.

Also as a lover. Well until he lost the 'tache.

So far as I pundit I agree that Neville is better than Carragher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lampard
    Carragher is awful so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lampard
    5starpool wrote: »
    I have no idea why so many of the utd fans posting here are getting precious about anyone not choosing Scholes. Why do ye care?
    I don't see anybody getting precious. It's not precious to tell someone their opinion is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think Roy Keane was the more important player for Utd for a number of years, though Scholes made the whole show work between 2004 and 2010 or so.

The hate on here is laughable. Scholes is one of the better midfielders of all time, but you don't need to claim that Gerrard was merely "good" to argue that.

Scholes was consistently graceful, a player who floated at times. Gerrard was inconsistent, but his moments of great intensity are amongst the most heartstopping of the past 20 years in football. Lampard has been brilliant for a long time. I'd probably go:

Scholes
    Gerrard
    Lampard

in terms of overall impact on the game and relative importance to the teams they played for. Scholes International Career is a disappointment when placed beside his club achievements mind - but I don't think he was particularly bothered about the whole thing so fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Lampard
    Scholes easily and it's not even close.

The real question is lampard vs gerrard

I'd go Stevie G personally

I don't see anybody getting precious. It's not precious to tell someone their opinion is wrong.

It is somewhat arrogant though to presume that your opinion is more correct than someone else's opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lampard
    Just checked Premier league.com for stats.

Gerrard scored 25% goals from Spot.
    Lampard scored 34% goals from spot.
    Scholes was 0%, mayb that's just 1 or 2 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Lampard
    I'd have Scholes in my team before Gerrard & Lampard. Near impossible to separate Gerrard & Lampard though, and as England have shown, its rare to get the best out of both when they are in the same team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Neutral to all these teams; Scholes everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Lampard
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Scholes International Career is a disappointment when placed beside his club achievements mind - but I don't think he was particularly bothered about the whole thing so fair enough.

And to be fair it didn't help that England shunted him to LM when Lampard/Gerrard emerged as stars.

Playing one of the greatest playmakers of his generation on the left side of midfield, kind of sums up everything that is and has been wrong with the English national side huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

For all you Scholes haters claiming that Gerrard and Lampard were better goalscorers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Gerrard is streets ahead of both of these players in that he is a more complete player in all regards. the three of them are top class but Gerrard is fair ahead given then he was able to master playing advnaced, holding role or out wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lampard
    If we are talking about as a CM, then I think I would lean towards Scholes. I think he, at his peak, was a more balanced midfielder than the other two.

Gerrard would, at his peak, have been the more adaptable of the three and was capable of playing to a high level in a variety of positions, but Scholes was stupidly consistent as a CM. His passing, positioning, reading of the game, and his ability to playmake were top class imho. He also was better than the other two, again imo, at striking up partnerships with different players. No matter who was put beside him in the Man U midfield he was able to mesh with that players style, the same certainly annot be said for Gerrard or Lampard.

So for me it would be

Scholes
    Gerrard
    Lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I think it very much depends on what sort of team you'd slot them into. If I had a world class team I'd have Scholes in it ahead of the others. If I had an average enough side and I was looking to take one of the three I'd take Gerrard no questions asked.

Lampard is a great footballer, however, I just don't think he'd do as good a job as Scholes in a great team playing Scholes role nor do I think he has the drive to pull average teams through games like Gerrard does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Lampard
    slingerz wrote: »
    Gerrard is streets ahead of both of these players in that he is a more complete player in all regards. the three of them are top class but Gerrard is fair ahead given then he was able to master playing advnaced, holding role or out wide

Gerrard able to master the holding role?

No, just no. As has been said already, anybody that thinks this is just displaying a lack of understanding of football.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

slingerz wrote: »

Gerrard never mastered the holding role or playing out wide.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Gerrard was a box-to-box beast in his youth, and he was a support striker for some of his best year.

his first year as anything approaching a holding midfielder was last season, and he spent one season in an unorthodox wide role where he had a free role. Rafa tried to build a system to better accomodate his explosiveness; that's until until he made him a support striker.

he never "mastered" the holding role or the wide role.

but he's still brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

looking back now do you think there was any formation that would have allowed them to play together for england?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I seem to recall England lacking a suitable sitting midfielder when Scholes was around. Maybe he if he hadn't retired he could have played alongside Carrick with Gerrard or Lampard further forward for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Kevin Nolan
    Scholes gets too much hype and is ridiculously overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

He's underrated more than anything else!

Him playing on the left for England was criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lampard
    5starpool wrote: »
    It is somewhat arrogant though to presume that your opinion is more correct than someone else's opinion.
    Well then say arrogant and not precious :confused:
    How can you argue a point without putting an alternative one across?
    Everybody thinks their own opinion is the right one.

popcorn_yes.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

This is a perfect example of why so many threads end up as clusterf*cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Lampard
    While Lampard and Gerrard are both outstanding players, who will be remembered long after they stop playing, some of the things Paul Scholes could do had to be seen to be believed....simply sublime technique.

When watching him I tended to get a similar feeling (to a lesser degree obviously) to when I watch Messi, as if I am privileged to be observing a genius at work.

You could make a case for him being the best Premiership footballer ever and if I ever have grandchildren I will be able to tell them I was lucky enough to see Paul Scholes play in the flesh three times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lampard
    England criminally underrated Scholesy until it was too late, putting the best central midfielder they had out on the left says it all about England really.

He is a good bit ahead of either of the other two contenders when it comes to central midfield play.

Then, as a personal preference I guess I would have Gerrard ahead of Lampard but there wouldn't be too much in it for me really. Gerrard, for me, is a bit more rounded then Lamps and that would swing it for me.

Again, neither come close to Scholes in the position and they really shouldn't be compared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Lampard
    I haven't seen a popcorn GIF in a while I forgot how annoying they are especially one with a racist under tone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Kevin Nolan
    Scholes is good - very good. On the same level as Xabi Alonso really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Kevin Nolan
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Scoring in league >>>> Scoring in league cups against crap teams and few more in Europa league.

You forgot to mention the Champions League there but I'll forgive you, it has been awhile since we graced the competition. ;)

Also, the dissing of the Europa League never ceases to amaze me, look at the last 16 in that competition every year and point out a crap team to me...and when I say crap, I mean worse than your average relegation/lower mid table fodder in the PL.

That is, afterall, what you implied. :)

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I haven't seen a popcorn GIF in a while I forgot how annoying they are especially one with a racist under tone

AFAIK, it's a banable offense or some sort of offense. Probably explains the lack of them!

Scholes is good - very good. On the same level as Xabi Alonso really.

Similar type players alright.

Liverpool still haven't replaced him ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Kevin Nolan
    This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oranage2 wrote: »

You and I must have a different understanding of the word racist.

:confused:

Well then say arrogant and not precious :confused:
    How can you argue a point without putting an alternative one across?
    Everybody thinks their own opinion is the right one.

Arguing the point and putting across your opinion is fine. It's when people are using phrases like the below that they are being precious/arrogant about people not agreeing with them.
    Oh and anyone that thinks Gerrard or Lampard were better players than Scholes was needs their head examined.
    This one not by a utd fan, but same type of thing.
    Neutrals - Scholes the best.
    There was too much between the 2 in level for the opinion of those who pick Gerrard to be viewed as anything other than delusion.
    Forgive me, but I think I will take the opinion of these guys ahead of the opinions of Jamie Carragher.
    Should have added a poll. It should have been made public too so we could all point and laugh at whoever didn't pick Scholes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Lampard
    As ACMs there's little between the three. They were all top class at it.

As central midfielders proper neither Gerrard nor Lampard are top class. They're fairly average CMs in reality (at the Champions League level anyway). They've got athleticism and leadership qualities that stand out, but they don't have good enough close control to be considered near the top bracket.

Scholes was great as a CM, because of his control and passing. His goals were an added bonus. His awful tackling was a big flaw, but it still didn't prevent him from being great.

Advertisement