Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerrard, Lampard, or Scholes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lampard
    You forgot to mention the Champions League there but I'll forgive you, it has been awhile since we graced the competition. ;)

Also, the dissing of the Europa League never ceases to amaze me, look at the last 16 in that competition every year and point out a crap team to me...and when I say crap, I mean worse than your average relegation/lower mid table fodder in the PL.

That is, afterall, what you implied. :)

I have already mentioned why I considered only league stats (level playing field, players play against same teams).

Scholes scored more in CL too.

And again I repeat I posted stats not to prove Scholes is a superior goal scorer, just that he is as good as Gerrard in goal scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I haven't seen a popcorn GIF in a while I forgot how annoying they are especially one with a racist under tone

2uOBamR.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So England could have had all 3 in the same team and still won nothing - just saying :P

For me Scholes and Gerrard really are neck and neck, it really is so close between them.
    My Liverpool heart says Gerrard but my football head says Scholes just about.
    Lamps is/was also a great player, great attitude at all times,i never understood the hate towards the guy.

People saying Scholes is miles ahead are simply deluded or blinkered manc fans or both :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lampard
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Utter rubbish. In the lead up to the 1999 European cup final the absence of Paul Scholes was felt just as keenly as the loss of Roy Keane. Even then he was rated as one of the best midfielders in the Premier league, as well as a part of what many at the time considered one of the best ever club midfields, Giggs, Keane, Scholes and Beckham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Lampard
    Scholes is good - very good. On the same level as Xabi Alonso really.

Scholes>Alonso

Scholes was world class.

Alonso had two fantastic seasons; his last at Liverpool and his first at Madrid. Ever since then he's been pretty average for Madrid. He hasn't had a big game performance at club level for years now. He's deteriorated rapidly over the past 2 and a half years. When teams have pressed him he's been ineffective. He's also been awful in the CL for Real Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Kevin Nolan
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Kevin Nolan
    Scholes is good - very good. On the same level as Xabi Alonso really.

I would consider Alonso a much better player, at Alonso can tackle and doesn't pass 9 out of 10 balls backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lampard
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    I haven't seen a popcorn GIF in a while I forgot how annoying they are especially one with a racist under tone

lol

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86584308&postcount=5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I would consider Alonso a much better player, at Alonso can tackle and doesn't pass 9 out of 10 balls backwards.

bjpFO.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lampard
    5starpool wrote: »
    Arguing the point and putting across your opinion is fine. It's when people are using phrases like the below that they are being precious/arrogant about people not agreeing with them.

This one not by a utd fan, but same type of thing.
    Still no sign of anything precious there...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Still no sign of anything precious there...

Ah well, if you disagree that's your perogative, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

I'm a Liverpool fan but it has to be Scholes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Which player would have been transfered for the highest amount (at their peak)??

Kevin Nolan
    Which player would have been transfered for the highest amount (at their peak)??

Gerrard clearly, there was alot of clubs chasing him at one stage. I don't recall anyone significant ever showing an interest in Scholes tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lampard
    Anyone looking it objectively would say Scholes was the best player of the 3, and by a distance.

When he played AMC he was more effective than both and then he dropped back be become one of the 3 best in the deep laying play maker role of the last 15-20 years.

Scholes, Pirlo and Xavi are/were the 3 best in that position in my memory and at different times each one of them was top dog.

Scholes played that diagonal ball from the middle to the winger/full back perfectly.

Gerrard clearly, there was alot of clubs chasing him at one stage. I don't recall anyone significant ever showing an interest in Scholes tbh.

I'll just leave this here

BQAtwKsCEAE7MIt.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Lampard

Inter Milan offered 31 million for him in August 2000, google it and you will see.

If United thought for a second that they could get more than their own value of Scholes, then he'd have been out the door faster than you could say Jaap Stam!

Blank cheque me arse! - Does that mean 100 million or nothing!??

bullvine wrote: »
    Inter Milan offered 31 million for him in August 2000, google it and you will see.

See above. Its was a blank cheque apparently but an offer of 31 millions in 2000 shows how highly he was regarded.

Also mentioned above was the fact Scholes didn't have an agent making it hard to contact him and make an offer. Who knows how many have tried and failed to even get in touch with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

to be fair to Scholes, if you've ever seen any interview with him, or know anything about him, you will know that he never had any interest in ever leaving Manchester United.

• Advertisement

He is the most booked player in Champions League history....but he's not a dirty player :rolleyes:

If United thought for a second that they could get more than their own value of Scholes, then he'd have been out the door faster than you could say Jaap Stam!

Blank cheque me arse! - Does that mean 100 million or nothing!??

It means name your price and we will negotiate from there.

Scholes was there and an influential and key player for one of UTDs most successful. Fergie knew this only too well and his attitude is above and beyond Stam's. Selling Scholes would never have even entered Fergies min, he was key to our trophy and financial success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

SlickRic wrote: »
    to be fair to Scholes, if you've ever seen any interview with him, or know anything about him, you will know that he never had any interest in ever leaving Manchester United.

Didn't he want to finish his career at Oldham at one point?

Lampard
    Didn't he want to finish his career at Oldham at one point?

Think that's a bit of a myth.

He's a united fan but his dad used to take him to Oldham games when he was a kid because they were close and the tickets were a lot cheaper, so he had a soft spot for them and would go to a lot of games, so someone made some story up about Scholes being a hardcore oldham fan and wanting to play for them for a season before he retired.

He never said it himself, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lampard
    He is the most booked player in Champions League history....but he's not a dirty player :rolleyes:

Gerrard - 5 red cards. Mins per red card -6964

Scholes - 4 red cards. Mins per red card- 8826.

http://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeRedCards?comp_code=EPL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Lampard
    Liverpool fan, Scholes for me, then Gerrard then Lampard but not by much. Lampard is very intelligent footballer and was completely critical to the better Chelsea teams. Gerrard ahead of him for his superior athletism. Scholes gets a black mark for his apalling tackling, something he never quite mastered!

Scholes was criminally underused by a succession of England managers who didn't have the balls to build a team around his short passing game. Scholes was consistently the better player however when inspired Gerrard was more able to change the course of a game on his own. Scholes made the team he played in work like a Rolls Royce. Shame on the people who consider Keane a better footballer than Scholes !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Never mind who is the better of the 3.

Scholes, in my opinion is probably the best player I have ever seen live.

His ability to spray a 30,40,50 yard pass onto the toe of his fellow teammate is unsurpassed.

Absolute quality player. Forget about the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Seaneh wrote: »

He's a united fan but his dad used to take him to Oldham games when he was a kid because they were close and the tickets were a lot cheaper, so he had a soft spot for them and would go to a lot of games, so someone made some story up about Scholes being a hardcore oldham fan and wanting to play for them for a season before he retired.

Fair enough, just heard it mentioned a few times. Not from himself, seeing as he isn't exactly known for talking anyway.

Kevin Nolan
    Seaneh wrote: »

Any proof of this?

• Advertisement

Lampard
    Any proof of this?

I can't prove a negative, can I?

I've never seen him quoted directly or heard him say it.

Lampard
    Any proof of this?

Err...how do you prove someone didn't say something?

Lampard
    The problem with Scholes lack of recognition is because he was surrounded by so many other great players, he has almost always been vying for credit in a team when he had equal peers. Gerrard has been without a doubt Liverpool best player in the premiership and Lampard has arguably been Chelsea's.

Scholes has played with 6 or 7 other players in the united team who could be considered as good as him. The others don't have that. It's like when no United player won the Footballer of the Year in the treble season, the reason for it being the votes were shared between the team as so many players were playing so well.

Lampard
    The problem with Scholes lack of recognition is because he was surrounded by so many other great players, he has almost always been vying for credit in a team when he had equal peers. Gerrard has been without a doubt Liverpool best player in the premiership and Lampard has arguably been Chelsea's.

Scholes has played with 6 or 7 other players in the united team who could be considered as good as him. The others don't have that. It's like when no United player won the Footballer of the Year in the treble season, the reason for it being the votes were shared between the team as so many players were playing so well.

Who were the 6 or 7 other United players as good as Scholes? Only Giggs comes close as far as I am concerned.

I am pie wrote: »
    Who were the 6 or 7 other United players as good as Scholes? Only Giggs comes close as far as I am concerned.

Keane?

Err...how do you prove someone didn't say something?

Just ignore, its a typical argument used by someone who can't have a constructive argument.

"You can't prove he didn't say it? Well then he must have said it."

• Advertisement

Lampard

Keane, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, Cantona and Beckham(most wont agree with him but a lot of English fans/media would have him in there)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lampard
    It's quite easy to tell from the reputation of posters on here where the answer lies between Scholes and Gerrard. The ones that can see past their appreciation of their own player to give an informed answer and the militant RAWKesque types.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think it very much depends on what sort of team you'd slot them into. If I had a world class team I'd have Scholes in it ahead of the others. If I had an average enough side and I was looking to take one of the three I'd take Gerrard no questions asked.

Lampard is a great footballer, however, I just don't think he'd do as good a job as Scholes in a great team playing Scholes role nor do I think he has the drive to pull average teams through games like Gerrard does.

It takes four pages to read this.

You can't compare Scholes and Gerrard or Lampard, both with specific and different roles. You can compare Gerrard and Lampard.

Given the choice, I'd take Iniesta over all three combined.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Lampard
    very close call
    id say scholes nudges to the top. too hard to call between gerrard and lampard.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Gerrard - 5 red cards. Mins per red card -6964

Scholes - 4 red cards. Mins per red card- 8826.

http://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeRedCards?comp_code=EPL

Throw in all Scholseys red cards from other competitions please.
    You'll find he has a lot more than SG... and most others too.

• Advertisement

Scholsey's disciplinary record is particularly shocking when you input the % of time that ManU would have been in possession of the ball.

Lampard
    Keane, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, Cantona and Beckham(most wont agree with him but a lot of English fans/media would have him in there)..

Strongly disagree with Beckham and Keane. Not even nearly as good. If the English push Beckhams claims then the Irish are equally as guilty of overstating Keanes.

Disagree with Rooney and Cantona, only on the basis that Scholes was operating on a higher level to almost everyone he played with.

Giggs, had some poor patches of form, latter day performances haven't been as awesome as his younger self.

Ronaldo. Ok, possibly. His record speaks for itself. 2nd only to Messi in the attacking players in the world right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

A poll has been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    While Lampard and Gerrard are both outstanding players, who will be remembered long after they stop playing, some of the things Paul Scholes could do had to be seen to be believed....simply sublime technique.

When watching him I tended to get a similar feeling (to a lesser degree obviously) to when I watch Messi, as if I am privileged to be observing a genius at work.

You could make a case for him being the best Premiership footballer ever and if I ever have grandchildren I will be able to tell them I was lucky enough to see Paul Scholes play in the flesh three times.

Scholes is famous among mathematicians and financial analysts but for non-footballing reasons.
    http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm?catid=15&threadid=54352

dfx- wrote: »

You can't compare Scholes and Gerrard or Lampard, both with specific and different roles. You can compare Gerrard and Lampard.

It's amazing that this is being ignored.

Scholsey's disciplinary record is particularly shocking when you input the % of time that ManU would have been in possession of the ball.

Tbh, who cares about his disiplinary record. Doesn't matter a fcuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

rarnes1 wrote: »

Nope all it does is highlight how ingrained in the consciousness of the sport the whole 'lol it's only Paul Scholes trying another tackle, lets laugh it off' mentality became.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Moratti says a lot, but i`d put this with Galliani saying Xavi`s mum blocked a Milan move in the :rolleyes: stakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Nope all it does is highlight how ingrained in the consciousness of the sport the whole 'lol it's only Paul Scholes trying another tackle, lets laugh it off' mentality became.

spot on

Lampard
    dfx- wrote: »

Scholes > iniesta

• Advertisement
Advertisement