Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerrard, Lampard, or Scholes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Lampard
    Scholes. I'm a Liverpool fan and might be lynched for saying so, but I always thought Gerrard was slightly over-rated, but that's not to say he isn't an excellent player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

It's quite easy to tell from the reputation of posters on here where the answer lies between Scholes and Gerrard. The ones that can see past their appreciation of their own player to give an informed answer and the militant RAWKRedcafesque types.

Also works ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Lampard
    This says it all really, assuming they're all true quotes (it is the internet after all!)
    In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.
    Xavi

My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder.
    Zinedine Zidane

Rooney is one of the best players in the world and I love watching him play. But if you had to pick out only one, then for their history and for all that they have achieved it would have to be Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs. They are two shining examples for any player.
    Andres Iniesta

Everywhere I go the coaches all tell me that Scholsey is the player they admire. But if they think they’ll get him they’re wasting their time! Paul is a Manc lad pure and simple. He loves the club and there’s no chance of him leaving here. If ever he decided to go there would be a stampede, but he won’t be going, he’s here for life.
    Sir Alex Ferguson (Jan 2003)

I’m not the best, Paul Scholes is.
    Edgar Davids, in his prime

I told Moratti Scholes is a “mission impossible” man. It’s more than money with him. He was born just a few blocks away from Old Trafford. It`s about wearing United’s colours.
    Inter owner Massimo Moratti’s adviser, Pino Pagliara (July 2000)

Out of everyone at Manchester United, I would pick out Scholes – he is the best midfielder of his generation. I would have loved to have played alongside him.
    Pep Guardiola

I tell anyone who asks me – Scholes is the best English player.
    Laurent Blanc

An amazingly gifted player who remained an unaffected human being.
    Roy Keane

I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It’s Paul Scholes. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite. I love his nous and conviction that he will find a way to win, to make the killer pass or produce the decisive volley.
    Sir Bobby Charlton

The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy – Scholes.
    Patrick Vieira

He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League.
    Cesc Fabregas

I can’t understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t seek the limelight like some of the other ‘stars’.
    Thierry Henry

Nobody else in the world can play the way Scholes does. The passes he produces all over the field and the way he changes the game is brilliant. Every manager would like him. But luckily he is here and playing with us. Paul practices that all the time. When he has finished training he always goes out and shoots.
    Dimitar Berbatov

Why isn’t he playing for England? It is crazy. Only in England. Scholes is a great, great player. So experienced and still, for me, one of the best in the world in midfield. Manchester United are lucky to have him.
    Jose Mourinho

Paul Scholes had the best football brain I’d ever seen in a kid. Let’s face it. Paul Scholes is in a class of its own.
    Brian Kidd

Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team – that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. He would have been one of the first players I’d have bought, given the chance.
    Marcello Lippi

Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation.
    Zinedine Zidane

He is a very complete, spectacular footballer. He always fights for the ball and tries to lose his marker to help his team-mates – either to defend or to have a shot on goal. For any football player in the Premiership, Scholes is a player you want to emulate. I would happily end my career with the medals that Scholes has. I am young and I hope that I will be able to surpass him – but it is not going to be easy.
    Cesc Fabregas

Juan Sebasticn Veron while at Chelsea being asked in an interview who’s the best English player : “Paul Scholes.”

Paul Scholes is just fantastic. When you play alongside him, you realise what a special talent he is.
    Michael Carrick

Very few players can do that, but Scholes is one of them – and I knew he was one of them. That’s why, without question, I think Paul Scholes is the best player in England. He’s got the best skills, the best brain. No one can match him.
    Sir Alex Ferguson

England have lost their best player
    George Best after Paul retired from international football

There isn’t a player of his mould anywhere in the world.
    Glen Hoddle

For me, it’s Paul Scholes. He’ll do ridiculous things in training like say, “You see that tree over there?” – it’ll be 40 yards away – “I’m going to hit it”. And he’ll do it. Everyone at the club considers him the best.”
    Rio Ferdinand

I wouldn’t swap Paul Scholes for anybody. He is quite simply the most complete footballer I have ever played with. He is the best.
    Gary Neville

He’s always in the right position, always seems to be at the end of the box when the ball drops in. The complete midfielder – when he’s fit, he’s the best. Some go missing but he’s in the right place at the right time. He’s my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable. If you give him a chance it’s a goal, isn’t it?
    Micah Richards

We won’t ever see another one like Paul Scholes. He is a legend and a real benchmark. He is not interested in the modern-day footballer’s life off the pitch, but he is a world-class player on it. He has probably never really got the true recognition he deserved outside of Manchester United because he never did the media. He didn’t do interviews and never put himself out for things like that. I cannot believe he has never been nominated for World, European or domestic individual honours because in his prime he was scoring 20 goals a season from midfield. It is astonishing he has never won a personal award, but given the choice of winning something and then having to get up and do the speech, I think he would rather not have won them!
    Darren Fletcher

He’s the best one- or two-touch passer in the country. He sees the game unlike any other player.
    Terry Venables

If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. He’s the most consistent and naturally gifted player we’ve had for a long, long time.
    Alan Shearer

Paul Scholes has been the best England midfield player for 30-odd years. You’d probably have to go back to Bobby Charlton to find someone who could do as much as Scholes. When the ball arrives at his feet he could tell you where every player on that pitch is at that moment. His awareness is superb.
    Gordon Strachan

Paul, for me, is the best player in the England team. It worries teams. Speak to any other international team and they will single Paul out as England’s key player. For me, he doesn’t get the full credit that he deserves. He is a world-class player and deserves to be up there with the likes of Zidane and Figo.
    Phil Neville

Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I’ve ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him.
    Eidur Gudjohnsen

For years Paul Scholes has been one of the best players in the Premiership. He’s incredible. He has always been under-rated throughout his career. He’s a team player, a one and two-touch footballer who makes good decisions on the pitch and makes his team play.
    Thierry Henry

He has an awareness of what’s happening around him on the edge of the box which is better than most players. As a kid he always had a knack of arriving in the penalty area just at the right time, but he’s proving just as effective from outside the box because he’s using his experience in the right way. It doesn’t matter who I am thinking about bringing into my midfield, Paul Scholes will be included, as he would in any side in the world.
    Sir Alex Ferguson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Lampard
    I am pie wrote: »
    Strongly disagree with Beckham and Keane. Not even nearly as good. If the English push Beckhams claims then the Irish are equally as guilty of overstating Keanes.

Disagree with Rooney and Cantona, only on the basis that Scholes was operating on a higher level to almost everyone he played with.

Giggs, had some poor patches of form, latter day performances haven't been as awesome as his younger self.

Ronaldo. Ok, possibly. His record speaks for itself. 2nd only to Messi in the attacking players in the world right now.

Keane?? honestly how old are you? from 1996 to 2004 he was the first name on the team sheet, watching United in that period in a big game if he wasnt playing you were very worried.

Fergie
    "If you were looking for the player you would replace [Roy] Keane with, it's Gerrard without question," said Sir Alex Ferguson. "He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. Gerrard is Keane; he is now where Keane was when Roy came to us in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

MagicIRL wrote: »
    This says it all really, assuming they're all true quotes (it is the internet after all!)

Zidane also said Gerrard is better than both Messi and Ronaldo in 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lampard
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fergie

Never said he could replace Scholes though! :pac::pac::pac:

Never said he could replace Scholes though! :pac::pac::pac:

:D

I wonder did he ever consider a bid on Gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I have no doubt he did why wouldn't he although it would never have come off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lampard
    Also works ;)
    It does in other arguments. I'm just talking about this one.
    Luckily the vote is public anyway. A few of the most active posters here didn't bother voting, I'm guessing if it was private they would have ;)

Lampard

No question he would have wanted to. It would be the same as Inter wanting Scholes though, it could never have happened, Gerrard as a scouser would never have crossed that divide.

Even when Gerrard seemed close to joining Chelsea United didn't make a bid, they must have gotten clear signals that it was never a goer. Pity though, would have loved to have had Gerrard at United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

dfx- wrote: »
    Given the choice, I'd take Iniesta over all three combined.

I`d take Pirlo ahead of any of them too, any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Lampard
    Roy Keane :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

3 great players but for me its scholes gerrard lampard in that order. Scholes could do all the things the other 2 can do and control the tempo of a game which the other 2 cant. Gerrard and lampard are dynamic players scholes was the complete midfielder. Im a liverpool fan by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lampard
    Can any non-Liverpool fans who voted Gerrard make themselves known? Would like to know how he fares among the neutrals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Gerrard
    3 different players that could easily play as a midfield trio together. If I had to pick 1 of the 3 to improve a team of mediocre footballers it would be Lampard. Scholes and Gerrard would need decent players around them to do what they do best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lampard
    I'd have Lampard a clear 2nd, very underrated CM for someone with over 200 goals for his club.

Rooney just hit that figure the other night

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's amazing that this is being ignored.

It's akin to comparing full backs and centre backs maybe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Scholes
    Gerrard
    Lampard

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Lampard
    Got to love the part where Carragher agrees with Neville that Scholes was the best player at England training. Defeats his whole argument. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Lampard
    Not a United fan and not a Liverpool fan but, for me, Steven Gerrard is one of the most over-rated players of recent times.

Great for a Hollywood ball but frequently even if the intended recipient can get it under control, he can do little with it because he's isolated up top while Stevie G and the rest of the batallion race the 30-40 yards that he's launched it to offer support.

He's scored some incredibly vital goals with a regularity that means it isn't just a fluke but for me, he's a good player that sometimes does great things. No more, no less. Scholes was a far better player.

Lampard
    DeanAustin wrote: »
    Not a United fan and not a Liverpool fan but, for me, Steven Gerrard is one of the most over-rated players of recent times.

Great for a Hollywood ball but frequently even if the intended recipient can get it under control, he can do little with it because he's isolated up top while Stevie G and the rest of the batallion race the 30-40 yards that he's launched it to offer support.

He's scored some incredibly vital goals with a regularity that means it isn't just a fluke but for me, he's a good player that sometimes does great things. No more, no less. Scholes was a far better player.

DeanAustin, love the username!

dfx- wrote: »
    It's akin to comparing full backs and centre backs maybe

Zabaleta >>>>>> Vidic

Lampard
    bullvine wrote: »
    DeanAustin, love the username!

An absolute legend of the game :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

cournioni wrote: »
    Got to love the part where Carragher agrees with Neville that Scholes was the best player at England training. Defeats his whole argument. :D

They probably don't tackle too much in training :D

Lampard
    I love this "Scholes wasn't good at tackling" rubbish.

The truth is that Paul Scholes was a dirty player. (Rafa might even have called that a "fact")
    Are you trying to say Gerrard was a dirtier player than Scholes?

If so then you are incorrect.
    I'd like to compare their red/yellow card stats.

For me Scholses was very cynical and consistently dirty throughout his career. Often at a cost to United.
    He is the most booked player in Champions League history....but he's not a dirty player :rolleyes:
    Throw in all Scholseys red cards from other competitions please.
    You'll find he has a lot more than SG... and most others too.
    Scholsey's disciplinary record is particularly shocking when you input the % of time that ManU would have been in possession of the ball.
    They probably don't tackle too much in training :D

Did he tackle your sister or something?

Lampard
    Scholes could tackle no doubt about it but he chose not to on occasion, as did Keane, Souness and perhaps even Zidane.. It shouldn't really tarnish his legacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Kevin Nolan
    To be honest scholes was a quality player, some of his dirty tackles where awful. It's immediately what I personally think of when you mention scholes,
    his own fault really. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Lampard
    The first leg against Barcelona in 08, when United were under the cosh, was one of the best defensive midfielder performances ive ever seen. Scholes' intercepted and knicked a ridiculous amount of the ball that night. Scholes couldn't time a slide tackle (if he was truly mistiming it). A very small portion of tackling consists of slide tackles, so it's simplistic and inaccurate to judge someone's tackling on late slide's alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

If he did he'd certainly come off second best in that challange :)

Seriously though, Paul Scholes was one of the dirtiest players of his generation. His skill with the ball (and the UK media of course) have helped brush a lot of it under the carpet. I've made my point now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Lampard
    Scholes gets too much hype and is ridiculously overrated.
    I would consider Alonso a much better player, at Alonso can tackle and doesn't pass 9 out of 10 balls backwards.
    To be honest scholes was a quality player, some of his dirty tackles where awful. It's immediately what I personally think of when you mention scholes,

So he's ridiculously overrated, passes 9/10 balls backwards, yet is now a quality player? The only thing worse than a troll is a crap troll. The fact that it's school time and your still posting makes me worry for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Scholes could tackle no doubt about it but he chose not to on occasion, as did Keane, Souness and perhaps even Zidane.. It shouldn't really tarnish his legacy.

That will be his legacy with a lot of non United fans tbh. The Mick Foley of the premier league hardcore 'tackling' and a WWE retirement. :pac:

Lampard
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    That will be his legacy with a lot of non United fans tbh. The Mick Foley of the premier league hardcore 'tackling' and a WWE retirement. :pac:

Your probably right in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Roy Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lampard

That's your hang up tbh

Lampard

I think he spoke about it before, he played with the idea of attempting to sign him, but didn't really pursue it as it is an impossible one

Lampard
    luketitz wrote: »
    Roy Keane

Saw someone post that Keane wasn't all that earlier.

I detest Roy Keane but he was a hell of a footballer and to say anything else just makes no sense. He was vitally important to United during his time there - moreso than any of the three players in this thread title have been to their clubs.

Lampard

I hear his sister was a fan of his tackle anyway

Lampard
    You know, I realy enjoyed threads like these with public polls etc, they make excellent filters

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Lampard
    kryogen wrote: »
    You know, I realy enjoyed threads like these with public polls etc, they make excellent filters

i really don't understand a lot of the behavior in this thread

Lampard
    BMMachine wrote: »
    i really don't understand a lot of the behavior in this thread

Use that though and remember it for future interactions with posters :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

It's a silly comparison as I think all three players are different styles of midfielders.

Scholes was a striker, turned attacking midfielder, turned deep lying possession player, as his career progressed. His all around technical skill is superior to the other two I think, especially awareness, ball control and passing. But obviously his tackling left a lot to be desired, and he couldn't run as long as the other two (being asthmatic didn't help), but then again that wasn't his game. He's one of the best players I've ever seen for both ghosting into a box and scoring a goal, and receiving the ball in a tight situation and maintaining possession. His shooting is top class too. For a scrawny little asthmatic kid he turned into one of the best midfielders of his generation. His England career wasn't as accomplished as it should have been, but I think that's because his style didn't suit the England teams of his era. If he was Spanish he would have been an absolute star at international level.

Gerard is a box to box midfielder and up there with the best of them. He's quick strong, a good tackler, a good passer and can score goals. He's also a natural leader, and I'll always remember his performance for Liverpool in the Champions League final. It's a shame his loyalty to Liverpool wasn't repaid with a period of sustained success for the club, otherwise he would have had many more trophies and medals in his cabinet.

Lampard is a good midfielder but a great goal scorer. His shooting technique is fantastic and his technique, passing and tackling aren't too bad either. Another good all rounder and his goals made him a must-have in midfield.

Put all three together and you'd have a super player, but individually there's no way to compare them. Each is a star in their own right.

Lampard
    I'd say the player that reminds me of Gerrard the most is actually Bryan Robson, funny the way they had similar successes at club level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Kevin Nolan
    It's a silly comparison as I think all three players are different styles of midfielders.

Totally agree but voted Gerrard 'cos I'm a Liverpool fan.

I'd say the player that reminds me of Gerrard the most is actually Bryan Robson, funny the way they had similar successes at club level.

Not sure what I'm missing here. Maybe just a bad joke.

Robson won every trophy bar the European Cup with Utd AFAIK. Gerrard won every trophy bar the league.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Totally agree but voted Gerrard 'cos I'm a Liverpool fan.

Why vote if you think the poll is flawed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Kevin Nolan
    Why vote if you think the poll is flawed?

Because I want Stevie to win?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Because I want Stevie to win?

Not sure if you're serious.

Sometimes you can't tell around here!

Lampard
    Not sure what I'm missing here. Maybe just a bad joke.

Robson won every trophy bar the European Cup with Utd AFAIK. Gerrard won every trophy bar the league.

Your missing nothing, they had similar careers, playing for great clubs, clubs that underachieved for the most part while they played for them. Winning a few major trophies in between barren years.

Two players who were by far best players in their respective teams during these periods.

Its not meant as a dig at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Gerrard
    Scholes is miles ahead, lampard is second and Stevie is nowhere near the two of them

This times 1000

• Advertisement
Advertisement