Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerrard, Lampard, or Scholes

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Lampard
    This times 1000

really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lampard
    Scholes by a mile.

I'd take Gerrard over Lampard though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Gerrard
    Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Lampard
    My neutral opinion, Paul Scholes by a mile a rare type of player from England. Could influence a game more than any of the three. Lamp is next and Gerard a distant 3rd

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Lampard
    Really.

you don't really know much about the subject then do you

BMMachine wrote: »
    you don't really know much about the subject then do you

I guess this is what 5starpool was talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lampard
    Should have added a poll. It should have been made public too so we could all point and laugh at whoever didn't pick Scholes.
    VRuNeT.jpg
    haha1.gif

Sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Kevin Nolan
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sad

Meh, I can admit to voting with my heart, couldn't give a sh1t whether people "look down on me" for that. Serious business and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lampard
    Meh, I can admit to voting with my heart, couldn't give a sh1t whether people "look down on me" for that. Serious business and all that.
    Just a bit of joking around man. Take it in the light hearted way it was meant.
    I'm definitely not looking down on anybody.
    Don't get sucked into the outrage brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Kevin Nolan
    Im genuinly shocked how scholes has 109 votes to gerrards 40 fcuk me have people any eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Kevin Nolan
    Just a bit of joking around man. Take it in the light hearted way it was meant.
    I'm definitely not looking down on anybody.
    Don't get sucked into the outrage brigade.

As I said, I couldn't give a flute. ;) Outraged doesn't come into it.

I didn't even check to see whether the poll was public or private so either way, I was happy to stand by my choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

If peoples memory of Scholes is his tackling then its says a lot more about the posters than the player tbh.

The bias in this thread is sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Kevin Nolan
    SteG every day of the week :D

Definitely has been the most watchable over the years.

Nolan has had his moments though B)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Lampard
    First, as a United fan it has to be Scholes for me. Nothing anyone says will ever change my mind on that.

But the real worry from this thread is the quality of trolling in the soccer forum. I mean if ever a thread was wide open for a quality troll it was this one. Instead we have people trying to use a blunt force approach which was never going to get any biters. Come on people, have some pride in your work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lampard
    shamrock55 wrote: »
    Im genuinly shocked how scholes has 109 votes to gerrards 40 fcuk me have people any eyes

Yeah it is ridiculous really, Scholes should have at least 85% of votes, allowing 15% for the "I voted with my heart"/ "I don't admit other teams have all time greats" gangs.

Any non biased football supporter who actually watches other teams along with their own, with even just an inkling of football intelligence can see that Scholes leaves the other two far far behind.

Even if you are a '(insert club here) till I die' supporter and only watch that team play, you just have to listen to what the professionals say about him to realise how good he really was.

You'll get one like Zidane, who said Gerrard was one of the best in the world, Madrid wanted Gerrard by all accounts, Zidane is known for doing this. I would have loved to see Gerrard go to Madrid to see what he could do in a team of world class players, which in all honesty he rarely if ever got to do at Liverpool, but he didn't move, he stayed at Livepool had a great career, won everything but the league, and is now a legend at the club, but better than Scholes? Never.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lampard
    shamrock55 wrote: »

Yeah, can't believe there 40 people blinkered enough to vote for Stevie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Kevin Nolan
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah, can't believe there 40 people blinkered enough to vote for Stevie.

Ha ha good man that actually made me laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lampard
    First time actually seeing this. Don't think it was posted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Lampard
    I'm surprised at the difference in votes between Gerrard and Lampard tbh. I think it may be because there are a larger number of Liverpool fans active in the forum and they will obviously vote fir their own cult hero. Both are great players and I don't think the poll gives an honest reflection of how close they are in ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Kevin Nolan
    So many issues with how people judge this that its barely relevant as a thread to be honest.

The trophy cabinet argument is fine..........provided you believe Scholes or Lampard would have won as much if they were transported into LFC's team and Gerrard was transported into United or Chelsea team etc etc.

You have to remove variables for a start otherwise all arguments are pointless.

Gerrard and Scholes was the best England midfield for a long time about 10/12 years ago, that was the pairing in midfield when England beat the Germans 5-1.

Lampard has been a fine player but not at the level of Scholes/Gerrard on an individual basis. Plus he has had the finest players around being brought in to play alongside him for 10 years.

So, in short, pointless thread because its impossible for people to remove those variables in too many cases imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Lampard
    Look if you're talkin about who is the best player out of them three, it's simple. Paul Scholes all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

As i said earlier in the thread scholes was the best of the three imo.However the fact that gerrard would still be first pick if u were to pick a centre midfielder from the 3 teams combined shows how average on a european scale all 3 teams central midfields currently are.

Lampard
    RasTa wrote: »
    First time actually seeing this. Don't think it was posted

That's video really confirms what I thought about the two. Carra biased, hard to listen too, a young Phil Thompson. G Neville excellent, balanced, fair and really educated.

Carra actually contradicted himself at the end said Scholes was the best player I ever trained and played with..... but it's Gerard out of the 3 for me.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Scholes is an old school player. It wasn't uncommon for a Scholes 'special' to arrive a few minutes after an opposing player took liberties with a Utd player. Similar to Keane's approach. Or Carragher's.

Scholes never bitched or fussed over an unfair challenge committed on him. He waited and responded in kind.

Give me that any day over the modern approach of rolling around screaming in response to a tough challenge. Just get up and give the guy the same treatment in return.

Scholes is only considered a dirty player in the modern football cocoon, where diving fannies are two-a-penny on every team.

There's nothing wrong with letting the opposition know you won't be physically intimidated.

Obviously there is a fine line between that and being genuinely dangerous, but for the most part Scholes stayed on the right side of the line.

He is a small guy and relatively unimpressive physically. It's lolworthy to see him being portrayed as some Vinnie Jones type.

• Advertisement

Kevin Nolan
    Soups123 wrote: »
    That's video really confirms what I thought about the two. Carra biased, hard to listen too, a young Phil Thompson. G Neville excellent, balanced, fair and really educated.

Carra actually contradicted himself at the end said Scholes was the best player I ever trained and played with..... but it's Gerard out of the 3 for me.......

The irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Lampard
    Scholes is the correct answer.

Lampard
    daithijjj wrote: »
    The irony.

I follow Arsenal and fcuking hated Neville as a player, really enjoy him analyising and speaking about the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lampard
    I follow Arsenal and fcuking hated Neville as a player, really enjoy him analyising and speaking about the game

That's actually a hilarious response. Good lad Daithijjj.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Lampard
    The irony.

How? It's a fair opinion. Carragher picked Gerrard, and used goals and big game performances as his reasons, which would at least surely put Lampard ahead (on a par at least). He then tried to belittle Scholes using lines like 'Why did Ferguson buy Veron?' Seriously, you'd expect that out of a 10 year old.

Neville correctly stated that they are all great players, and you cant properly compare them. He then stated his reasons for why he thinks Scholes is so great, but never said that made him definitively better than Gerrard or Lampard. Neville made his point well, but he came out so far ahead due more to Carragher's incompetence than his own rational reasoning, which should be expected of any decent pundit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Lampard
    Carragher hasn't a clue what he's on about. He's absolutely atrocious. He's far too biased. I thought he'd be quite direct and reasonably objective. He's no concept of debate and doesn't come across as having any sort of ability to carry himself on television. He also is constantly trying to push his opinion onto Neville where he will interrupt him constantly. He's quite annoying and very poor at his job. His analysis is a bag of sh1te.

Neville is also fairly poor. He's wildly overrated. He does research but he should do considering his job. People have vastly overstated his analysis and he's horribly biased towards anyone in the England set-up. Also his analysis on De Gea against Spurs last year was the worst load of rubbish I've ever heard. People believe every word Neville says and it's sad how impressionable some people are as you get people quoting these lads as if they're some kind of maverick football analysts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think you are talking rubbish on Nev Eli

Who do you rate as a pundit then?

Kevin Nolan

I never referred to who you support, you dont have to defend your point that way. I just find it hilarious in many ways.

Anyway, pointless thread is still pointless.

Kevin Nolan
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    How? It's a fair opinion. Carragher picked Gerrard, and used goals and big game performances as his reasons, which would at least surely put Lampard ahead (on a par at least). He then tried to belittle Scholes using lines like 'Why did Ferguson buy Veron?' Seriously, you'd expect that out of a 10 year old.

Neville correctly stated that they are all great players, and you cant properly compare them. He then stated his reasons for why he thinks Scholes is so great, but never said that made him definitively better than Gerrard or Lampard. Neville made his point well, but he came out so far ahead due more to Carragher's incompetence than his own rational reasoning, which should be expected of any decent pundit

I think they both made very valid points tbh. Some are just too entrenched, especially in here.

We cant compare, but lets compare......right, ok then. :D

It's complete nonsense, all of it. Like i mentioned before, stick Scholes in the LFC team for the last 12 years and stick Gerrard in United's. Most folk in here cant even grasp the use of the hypothetical here. Scholes would have won less and Gerrard more.

No posts in this thread make any sense unless the variables are removed completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lampard
    stick Scholes in the LFC team for the last 12 years and stick Gerrard in United's. Most folk in here cant even grasp the use of the hypothetical here. Scholes would have won less and Gerrard more.

But that completely misses the point of the thread. Scholes would have won less? Who gives a ****, he would have won less at Wigan or Everton as well, thats not the question.

The thread title is about who is the better player and the answer is Paul Scholes.

Kevin Nolan
    But that completely misses the point of the thread. Scholes would have won less? Who gives a ****, he would have won less at Wigan or Everton as well, thats not the question.

The thread title is about who is the better player and the answer is Paul Scholes.

Indeed, it totally misses the point, and people still bring it up, maybe you should tell those people. :pac:

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Lampard
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Stupid argument as Scholes played in a different role to the other two.

Gerrard could never replicate the playmaking of Scholes and Scholes couldn't replicate the goalscoring of Gerrard and Lampard.

I'm surprised the two boys didn't point out as much.

It won't stop lads falling over themselves in a dick measuring competition. All you have to do is read a few posts in.

If Scholes had of continued as an AM he would have scored more goals thn he did. Difference is Scholes was so much more talented than the other 2 he was able to drop back and run the f*cking show, Gerrard is explosive but doesnt have the intelligence to control a game. Lampard is a little more cultured than Gerrard yet not as explosive. All round, no contest. Never heard Zidane, xavi, iniesta etc talk about gerrard or lampard

he was the best in his position in england for 10+ years. Xavi, Zidane,etc looked up to and feared playing against Scholes.

Also as much as people slag his tackling, i bet he won more tackles than lampard during his career. He knew he wasnt the best ball winner but he still went for the ****ing thing rather than stand back and hope some one else steps up and was very underrated in winning interceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Three great midfielders in very different ways. Scholes for me would have the best range of passes and be very good at striking at goal from long range. Lampard is great at getting forward and finding the space in around the box like a poacher and also has a great eye for a long range shot. Gerrard IMO is the closest to the complete midfielder, he has a good range of passes, a great long range of shooting but he knows how to tackle and is more of dictator of the three.

But all three of them would be no use together and any combination of two would need the a good defensive midfielder like Parker or Carrick.

Finally got around to watching the Carra-Neviller debate.

Jamie Carragher put the palm of my hand through my own face. Great player, decent guy I'm sure, not a good pundit at this moment..."you know".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

If Scholes had of continued as an AM he would have scored more goals thn he did. Difference is Scholes was so much more talented than the other 2 he was able to drop back and run the f*cking show, Gerrard is explosive but doesnt have the intelligence to control a game. Lampard is a little more cultured than Gerrard yet not as explosive. All round, no contest. Never heard Zidane, xavi, iniesta etc talk about gerrard or lampard

he was the best in his position in england for 10+ years. Xavi, Zidane,etc looked up to and feared playing against Scholes.

Also as much as people slag his tackling, i bet he won more tackles than lampard during his career. He knew he wasnt the best ball winner but he still went for the ****ing thing rather than stand back and hope some one else steps up and was very underrated in winning interceptions.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/mar/13/zinedine-zidane-steven-gerrard-liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Also, why do people keep on mentioning Xavi? He's just a rich man's Leon Britton.

Lampard
    I think you are talking rubbish on Nev Eli

Who do you rate as a pundit then?

Neville has the makings of a good pundit. But his application is awful. That De Gea crap last year was ridiculous. It was shallow and the only purpose it served was to try and prove that he wasn't afraid to criticise Manchester United. He was completely over the top. He has a good knowledge base and knows his statistics but his application is awful. He never really gets gritty with players from the England set up and you'd have to agree that his role in the England squad prevents him from giving an honest assessment on some of his players.

He's forever giving out about foreigners in the PL. Not cool tbh. I don't like this style of slowing every single play and trying to point out where a player should be. It's always obvious and they spend 15 minutes hammering the one player. There is no big picture. There is no analysis of tactics on a broader level. His analysis is always based on something that he's researched extensively before the game. He will always have a few clips supporting his opinion and he's offer trying to for circles in square holes.

Don't really rate anyone as a pundit as such. Sky try to be too heavy with the analysis and end up focusing on a tiny detail for half an hour. I don't mind this style of trying to break down the key moments but they aren't doing it fairly well. Carragher certainly doesn't suit this style and is absolutely atrocious at it. I can see Neville improving but not while he's in the England set up.

I think Neville is a decent pundit but yeah its got to the point where people are creaming themselves over him. Also I don't think Carragher is as bad as people make out. People just pounce on everything he says.

Wouldn't lose any sleep if I never seen either of them again as pundits or any pundits ever again tbh. Most tell you nothing you wouldn't read or debate on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Lampard
    764dak wrote: »
    Also, why do people keep on mentioning Xavi?

He's the spanish Joe Allen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Gerrard
    764dak wrote: »
    Also, why do people keep on mentioning Xavi? He's just a rich man's Leon Britton.

I've had all that I can stands I can't stands no more. Xavi Hernandez is the greatest midfielder Spain has ever produced. That isn't hyperbole, that isn't a tag line, that is absolutely true. To take place of Pep Guardiola, to put his own stamp on that position and in the process become the embodiment of tiki taka and change how midfielders are viewed and judged. The metronome of Barcelona, the hub of the most successful national side the world has ever known, the man is a bastion of the total football/tiki taka of Michels, Cruyff, Guardiola ect. For me, the greatest midfielder I have ever seen, the greatest midfielder of his generation.

On the debate, Lampard. Statistically his numbers can't be argued, not as naturally talented as either Gerrard or Scholes but his importance to Chelsea under Mourinho under his first reign is unquestionable and I firmly believe that there was a period during that time where he was the best player in the world.

I've had all that I can stands I can't stands no more. Xavi Hernandez is the greatest midfielder Spain has ever produced. That isn't hyperbole, that isn't a tag line, that is absolutely true. To take place of Pep Guardiola, to put his own stamp on that position and in the process become the embodiment of tiki taka and change how midfielders are viewed and judged. The metronome of Barcelona, the hub of the most successful national side the world has ever known, the man is a bastion of the total football/tiki taka of Michels, Cruyff, Guardiola ect. For me, the greatest midfielder I have ever seen, the greatest midfielder of his generation.

On the debate, Lampard. Statistically his numbers can't be argued, not as naturally talented as either Gerrard or Scholes but his importance to Chelsea under Mourinho under his first reign is unquestionable and I firmly believe that there was a period during that time where he was the best player in the world.

Xavi is good but not fit to lace Brittons boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Lampard

What period was this, specifically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Blatter wrote: »
    What period was this, specifically?

When deflected goals and penalties were all the rage;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Kevin Nolan
    Gerrard simples :D

• Advertisement

Lampard
    Lampard was never at any period the best player in the world.

Advertisement