Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerrard, Lampard, or Scholes

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Kevin Nolan
    Liam O wrote: »
    Is picking the only 2 major trophies Scholes didn't win on multiple occasions supposed to trick us? The reason England haven't done better is because of playing their Gerrard's and Lampards over their Scholes and I'd be tempted to say Carrick. The best they've looked that I'm old enough to remember is when they had Hargreaves in there. It's no coincidence that they looked so good when that was the case and it's a shame Scholes didn't get to play at more WCs.

What the f*ck is this sh*t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Lampard
    eagle eye wrote: »
    You don't know what you are talking about as per usual. A country mile is much longer than a mile but doesn't have an exact distance. Its a reference to people from the rural parts who say that something is a mile away when its actually farther.

Key word is distance plus it was a joke. You have a notion what your on about. Same as always.

Key word is distance plus it was a joke. You have a notion what your on about. Same as always.

Lol, ironing mixed with a gaff :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lampard
    No you see Rooney is what I'd call a tweener, he is a midfielder/forward. A great player in his own right albeit inconsistent.

There is nothing illogical about what I said. Gerrard was the complete midfielder and always one of the best in the world for quite a long period. Scholes was great at spraying the ball around the pitch but he could not tackle. If they had been playing for the other ones teams I think United would have been better while Liverpool would have been worse IMO.

That's the thing, Scholes wasn't a bad tackler. That's just wrong. He was a dirty tackler at times but perfectly good the rest of the time. And again, your parameters are ridiculous. Liverpool would be a better team with Ronaldo than they would be with Messi. Ronaldo doesn't require good players around him as he is an individual. Ronaldo>Messi?

Also, Gerrard wouldn't have been the same player had he played for United. He'd have been just another great player amongst many. He would have had to greatly improve his discipline and positional sense and be willing to let others take centre stage and drive the team forward a lot of the time.
    Vanolder wrote: »
    :eek:

FFS! I've heard it all now.

Of course you have. Notwithstanding the fact that Xavi himself would probably agree with me, could you at least argue your point? Scholes\Xavi is more of a straight shoot-out than Scholes\Gerrard.

Both were great passers, both dictated the play for their respective teams. Neither was super athletic but used the space around them so well that most players couldn't get near them. Scholes is the better goalscorer, Xavi probably the better when it comes to assists (haven't checked the stats.

There's not much between them but I suspect that your Liverpool bias will make you come out with another wonderful response like your last one.

It never ceases to amaze me in comparisons like these that the United players always seem to fare so badly in the eyes of some Liverpool fans. There's a reason why United have been the most dominant team in England over the last 20 years. Paul Scholes was a huge factor in all of this. He knitted the whole team together with cultured passing and managed to impose his continental style onto a team that has always been fundamentally British - hell for leather attack with wingers and fullbacks bombing on - in such a way that he was probably the most consistent performer Ferguson has ever had.

And here's the thing, I would have loved Gerrard to have played for United. To replace Keane. Perfect replacement. Scholes and Gerrard could have been amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What the f*ck is this sh*t?

It's saying that Carrick and Hargreaves are/were better defensive, more technical players in a midfield 2 than Gerrard and Lampard. Quite clear I thought.

Kevin Nolan
    Liam O wrote: »
    It's saying that Carrick and Hargreaves are/were better defensive, more technical players in a midfield 2 than Gerrard and Lampard. Quite clear I thought.

It's quite clear alright, clear that you're incredibly biased. Carrick and Hargreaves aren't fit to lace Lampard's or Gerrard's boots, regardless in which area they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It's quite clear alright, clear that you're incredibly biased. Carrick and Hargreaves aren't fit to lace Lampard's or Gerrard's boots, regardless in which area they play.

Whoosh. Do you seriously not grasp what I'm saying or are you being thick on purpose?

Lampard

You're spectacularly missing the point. They're a different style of player that helps the team to do well. Spain wouldn't win the World Cup if their midfield was Xavi--Xavi--Xavi. they need Busquets to screen and Iniesta to drive forward. Lampard and Gerrard together lack positional discipline, something Carrick and Hargreaves would have improved. A midfield of Carrick + Lampard\Gerrard would be better than a midfield of Lampard and Gerrard alone. This is surely a logical argument, no?

Kevin Nolan
    Gerrard can and has done a better job than Carrick and Hargreaves can do. Defensively or attacking wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Gerrard can and has done a better job than Carrick and Hargreaves can do. Defensively or attacking wise.

No he has not so stop kidding yourself your talking nonsense.

Carrick and Hargreaves?

Loooks like we've gone into another dimension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I love how people always come up with the 'I was joking' when they were completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lampard
    No but what you wrote there is complete dross. Either you are too young to remember or just completely delusional but Scholes wasn't even a nailed on starter for United until the end of the 90s where he shared time on the field with Nicky Butt. Roy Keane was the superstar in that team and the year he missed was the year United won nothing even with Scholes who you claim never had a poor season.

Scholes really didn't become a top player at United until about 2002 and from then until 2008 he was a truly world class player.

No, thats just dross, and you must be very young if you don't remember how influential Paul Scholes was in 1999, the year United managed to dominate football and win a little thing called the treble.

Lampard

Thats the sort of thinking that has served England so well over the years...:pac:

Lampard
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Carrick and Hargreaves?

Loooks like we've gone into another dimension

Do you ever actually discuss anything or do you just pass comment on what everybody else posts and the general tone of the thread?

• Advertisement

Do you ever actually discuss anything or do you just pass comment on what everybody else posts and the general tone of the thread?

Yeah, you obviously don't pay attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Lampard
    About time someone else said it.

About time someone else said it.

It's 100% wrong but carry on aboard your high horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seems one side of the argument here is taking it fierce personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Lampard
    Enough, guys. Back to the discussion without slagging each other off or I'll give the thread a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Tackling is the least important part of the game in Spain and better technical countries.

Amazing how its so much more important to people here.

Says a lot.

This is nonsense propaganda. La Liga has more tackles and fouls per game than the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No, thats just dross, and you must be very young if you don't remember how influential Paul Scholes was in 1999, the year United managed to dominate football and win a little thing called the treble.
    Keane was the influential one in that team. Giggs and Beckham were fantastic in that team. In fact I remember it being said by many pundits at the time that United potentially had three of the midfield picks in a world xi, those being Keane, Giggs and Beckham.

Lampard
    Keane was the influential one in that team. Giggs and Beckham were fantastic in that team. In fact I remember it being said by many pundits at the time that United potentially had three of the midfield picks in a world xi, those being Keane, Giggs and Beckham.

You are remembering what you want to be true. And nobody said Keane was not the influential player in the team, but you do realise that more than one player can be influential, don't you?

You said that Scholes was not an influential player until 2002, that in the late nineties he was just a squad player sharing time with Nicky Butt. That is a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

764dak wrote: »
    This is nonsense propaganda. La Liga has more tackles and fouls per game than the Premier League.

have you got stats?..not saying your wrong. I would be interested to read.

I remember it was Alonso who said he thought tackling was not something you worked on and was shocked at the attention it got in England.

I remember it was Alonso who said he thought tackling was not something you worked on and was shocked at the attention it got in England.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3853/Stages/7794/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2013-2014

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/206/Tournaments/4/Seasons/3922/Stages/7920/TeamStatistics/Spain-La-Liga-2013-2014

Under "Team Statistics" go to "Defensive" and compare them. You can copy it into a spreadsheet application and analyse them.

If you want you can also look at the passing stats you would notice La Liga has less short passes and more long balls compared to the Premier League. The Premier League also has higher pass completion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3853/Stages/7794/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2013-2014

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/206/Tournaments/4/Seasons/3922/Stages/7920/TeamStatistics/Spain-La-Liga-2013-2014

Under "Team Statistics" go to "Defensive" and compare them. You can copy it into a spreadsheet application and analyse them.

If you want you can also look at the passing stats you would notice La Liga has less short passes and more long balls compared to the Premier League. The Premier League also has higher pass completion.

cheers for that.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Gerrard

Alonso had the highest number of tackles in the entire league in one season in the prem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Lampard
    Have to say all three are great players but I would give it to Scholes. An interesting note, when asked the question, you can tell the difference between a good analyst and a poor one. Carragher when asked the question jumped in straight away and said Gerrard without hesitation or explanation. Neville commented on all three, praised each individual and then said why he would have Scholes. I found Nevilles analysis very interesting while found Carragher to be still wearing his Liverpool jersey, wouldnt mind if he has maybe tried to comment why but instead tried to put Scholes down as a player by using Veron as an excuse, laughable. I dont support either of the three clubs either.

They are retired now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

They are retired now.

just like this thread was until you decided to revive it for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Lampard
    They are retired now.

And Scholes is still the superior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Lampard
    enzo roco wrote: »
    And Scholes is still the superior

See this great goal he scored in a five a side about four years ago.
    He still has the skills (start @42 secs)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement