Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking Bad Episode 15: Granite State

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Not sure what I make of the whole Grey Matter thing. On one hand I think it'd be a bit convoluted at this point to bring it in, but on the other the whole thing was never really resolved (why Walt left etc), and it doesn't make sense to bring it up and have it go nowhere either.

The Grey Matter scene was an echo of the scene where Hank is praising Gale as a genius and Walt, overcome by his own ego, needles him, insisting that the real genius is still at large. The idea of the scene isn't to imply that Walt is going after Grey Matter; it's to show that, despite his world collapsing, he's still an ego-driven lunatic who will get back in the game as soon as he feels like someone has undermined him. He had given up. His son hated him and was ashamed of him. He had nothing left worth keeping his freedom for. Then someone said "Walter White is dirt" and the flip switched back the other way...

I'm assuming the music being played over the interview and realisation (the theme tune) is a way of saying he's now really 'Breaking Bad'. As if he hadn't been up to this point, and he's finally going over the edge?

Love the show, but kinda get the feeling like the next episode (the finale) is going to feel a little bit like a rush job. Which is saddening considering how long and drawn out the story has been so far.

They really took the time to develop the characters and story, it just feels like they're now under pressure to wrap it up in 45 minutes. An additional episode/week would be a good idea, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

bellinter wrote: »
    Still fully behind Heisenberg strutting off into the sunset with Flynn's principal.

Speaking of which, is she the same teacher Walt tried to pull the moves on after Skyler told him she was shagging Ted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Love the show, but kinda get the feeling like the next episode (the finale) is going to feel a little bit like a rush job. Which is saddening considering how long and drawn out the story has been so far.

They really took the time to develop the characters and story, it just feels like they're now under pressure to wrap it up in 45 minutes. An additional episode/week would be a good idea, in my opinion.

Personally, I feel as if the true finale was really last week in a sense. Hank's death, Walt Jr. discovering the awful truth and Skyler's final banishment of her husband, Jesse being effectively sold into servitude to the Manson family etc. All Walter's chickens finally came home to roost.

This week's episode felt like the epilogue to the last chapter in a splendid book. Next week, we get final closure on the Breaking Bad story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Loved it, loved it, loved it, loved it. Watching that episode was like my reward for sitting through the Dexter finale.

I was all prepared to watch Walter start to repent for what he'd done and try make amends somehow, but he's still there on the phone trying to justify himself to his son. He still doesn't get it, and it's fantastic. Then the scene with Elliott and Gretchen, and we see that he's still ruled by his ego. Yes, it was slightly contrived to have them on television the exact moment he's watching for the first time in months, but I've had bigger coincidences happen in my own life so I'll let it go.

Todd and the others in Holly's room was terrifying.

Oh, and Todd giving Jesse ice cream was weirdly hilarious. It's like he's keeping Jesse as a pet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

:eek: If Jesse gets killed by that lot ..... I will be VERY annoyed - NO ONE could have so much bad luck!

Just finished watching - sorry if all said before ...... My thoughts - after calming down - were that all characters (bar Jesse) are seeking redemption - Walt does still love his family, wedding ring, phoning Flynn etc., Skylar won't "dob" him in, his old business partners feeling guilt IMO and I think Junior/Flynn is worried about his Dad's health that's why he said those things too - but apart from the hurt he still cares:(

BUT SERIOUSLY - SONOT FAIR ON JESSE ........:mad::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

So many comments.

With regards to whether they'll bother with Grey Matter in the final episode or whether it's just a catalyst - in many ways, Grey Matter is the reason Walt became Heisenberg. After watching that episode I wouldn't be surprised if the final scene concerns it. The Nazis are scum but they're really just blow-ins. Grey Matter is at the heart of everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

ElizaT33 wrote: »

BUT SERIOUSLY - SONOT FAIR ON JESSE ........:mad::eek:

At the end of the day, jesse is a meth producer (willingly most of the time), and never stopped Walt after any of the murders, and his meth has presumably helped destroy thousands of lives. If he was in the papers in real life there'd be no sympathy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I reckon walt is going to:

a) Try and get back his cash from the Nazi's
    b) Invest Said Money in Gray Matter for Skylar

Seeing as the Share Price on Greymatter Skyrocketed due to his recent meth dealings it would be a way to "be involved" with something he created (or take them down), get the money to his family and feel it was all worthwhile in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Am I the only one who wan't mad about it? I think I'll need a re watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Find it odd that no-one thought jessie would take out the nazis. He has literally nothing left. I reckon there's going to be a big boom that takes out Jessie, jack and todd.

Exactly, who's to say that Jesse isn't the one to do a Scarface? He's lost everything. I can see a bloodbath going down.

If Jesse escapes, he's going to want white hot revenge against Walt now. I can see a confrontation between WW's real and virtual sons, and it ain't gonna be pretty :(

was.deevey wrote: »
    I reckon walt is going to:

a) Try and get back his cash from the Nazi's
    b) Invest Said Money in Gray Matter for Skylar

Seeing as the Share Price on Greymatter Skyrocketed due to his recent meth dealings it would be a way to "be involved" with something he created (or take them down), get the money to his family and feel it was all worthwhile in the end.

i think the shares took a dive rather than skyrocketing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

It was a fairly weak episode overall, especially when compared to the last few weeks.

Shout Dust wrote: »
    At the end of the day, jesse is a meth producer (willingly most of the time), and never stopped Walt after any of the murders, and his meth has presumably helped destroy thousands of lives. If he was in the papers in real life there'd be no sympathy :)

Did you have to take me back to REAL LIFE so soon .....??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I wasn't either, but i guess it was always going to be a 'letdown' after the last two episodes. But the final scene had me on the edge of my seat, with the anticipation for next week's episode at an all time high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Another cracking episode.

I absolutely hate when posters come on here saying it was a filler/set up/slow episode just because it didn't contain a gunfight or train heist.

This show is about so much more than action.

Finally meeting the vacuum man.
    Saul appearing to leave after advising Walt to give himself up.
    Terrifying Todd in the house with Skyler.
    The scenes of Walt in the cabin were intriguing, sad and depressing and showed how he has lost everything. Money, health, family and freedom.
    Him paying for company and the conversation about giving money to his family if he died.
    The phone call between the two Walts. Great scene, great rebuff by Jnr and showing Walt at his worst as he seems think his money will solve everything.
    One of the most chilling killings on any show ever.
    Todd's creepy liking of Lydia.
    The bar scene with Walt.

I really don't know what more people could want.
    It was a fantastic exploration of Walt's character and showing how far things had gone.
    Next week though is going to be big one.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Another cracking episode.

I absolutely hate when posters come on here saying it was a filler/set up/slow episode just because it didn't contain a gunfight or train heist.

This show is about so much more than action.

Finally meeting the vacuum man.
    Saul appearing to leave after advising Walt to give himself up.
    Terrifying Todd in the house with Skyler.
    The scenes of Walt in the cabin were intriguing, sad and depressing and showed how he has lost everything. Money, health, family and freedom.
    Him paying for company and the conversation about giving money to his family if he died.
    The phone call between the two Walts. Great scene, great rebuff by Jnr and showing Walt at his worst as he seems think his money will solve everything.
    One of the most chilling killings on any show ever.
    Todd's creepy liking of Lydia.
    The bar scene with Walt.

I really don't know what more people could want.
    It was a fantastic exploration of Walt's character and showing how far things had gone.
    Next week though is going to be big on

Todd's creepy liking of Lydia made my skin crawl - UGGGHHH!!! But worse though she put up with it ......!

Thought Vacuum man was great character - reminded me of Mr. Walton ..!:)

Hazys wrote: »
    I wasn't either, but i guess it was always going to be a 'letdown' after the last two episodes. But the final scene had me on the edge of my seat, with the anticipation for next week's episode at an all time high.

i don't think it was a letdown at all, thougth it was fantastic episode. Sauls gone, Walts in hiding and now going on the rampage with several possible targets, Jesse was punished and his girl killed, Gray matter is reintroduced, we met Sauls disappearence guy and we see the main characters at their lowest ebb

Some episodes sow things, some reap them. Both can be good but they're very different.

Last week, there was a crap load of reaping. This week was a lot more sowing.

Looking forward to some serious reapage next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Magnetics

I'm hoping for an absolute blood bath next week, as sick as that sounds!

Then the last scene should be Walt, the only survivor, suddenly working out the cure for cancer as he chokes to death on a fly in a meth lab

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Walter is back to taking his whiskey neat, he was having it on the rocks like Mike after he killed him.

Hank drank his neat...

(Oops, should have read the rest of the thread first :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

So, here's something hasn't been mentioned yet. Brock will kidnapped by the Nazis. There is no way Jesse is making things go boom boom if Brock is there. Walt will take out Nazis. Brock will get his hands on a gun and point it at Walt. A teary-eyed Jesse will get next year's Emmy for his three-minute talking Brock out of pulling the trigger. This will lead Walt to assume that Jesse still feels a bit of love and respect for him. Next scene is Walt, Jesse, Brock, Skyler, and Flynn.The ricin will be involved in some kind of slight-of-hand trickery (this time, by Jesse). Not sure how it ends though. Just, please Mr Gilligan (Mr Gilligan, please): give me a scene where Jesse kills the hell out of Todd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

It's setting up for the grand finally, after last weeks crazy episode it would be hard keep it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Nazi's to meet their death by WW and his M60. Walter then pops his risin and dies.

Jesse to stay a bitch yo.

A few mentioning Jesse having a happy ending with Brock. How do you see that happening exactly? Are social services gonna let some junkie meth producer wanted by most of the south west to adopt him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Can anybody estimate how long Walter was in hiding for?

6 months but i ain't sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Lydia's answer to everything --- Kill everybody. I hope Todd and Lydia get shot together.

And not to sound like a broken record, but: if Lydia never mentioned the lack of blue colour to Walt, then Walt has no way of knowing that note-taking, star pupil Todd cannot replicate the colour (low percentage yield or no). Therefore, the Schwartz TV appearance would not lead him to think Jesse was back alive and well and cooking in Nazi-camp. So, Walt has no reason to think Jesse is alive. He will spot something in the paper about Andrea, though, and then he will know. He may also realise that Jesse is going through Hell and, well...

The only way Walt will take the ricin is if it's part of a bigger plan in which he has to die a couple of days after something else happening - like if he sets himself up to be captured by somebody, having already taken it. He's not going to use it as a suicide method when he has access to guns, a car, tall buildings or any number of chemicals - ricin is too horrible a way to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Nazi's to meet their death by WW and his M60. Walter then pops his risin and dies.

Jesse to stay a bitch yo.

People need to stop saying this. Suicide by ricin is not going to happen. Why would he not just shoot himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

Was vacuum man the janitors dad in scrubs. I think it was him and he appeared in one episode.

Was vacuum man the janitors dad in scrubs. I think it was him and he appeared in one episode.

He's Robert Forster, acting legend - Max Cherry himself.

Can anybody estimate how long Walter was in hiding for?

6 months but i ain't sure

2 months, I'd say.

Holly was 18 months old when he went into hiding (according to the police officer who sent out her description). She was born about four months after the first episode. So 22 months would have passed between then and when he went into hiding - another two months brings us to his 52nd birthday, and it also fits with the fact that the vacuum guy seemed to have made two trips to Walt's cabin. We saw the second one there.

Talking Bad gave it as around three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

He's Robert Forster, acting legend - Max Cherry himself.

I was wrong. Just found the guy I'm on about and he's called Robert Lee Ermey.
    They do not look alike :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    People need to stop saying this. Suicide by ricin is not going to happen. Why would he not just shoot himself?
    Plus we know he's capable of it, he pulled the trigger during the very first episode. If the gun hadn't jammed, he would be dead.

You must mean Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann, in Full Metal Jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Enjoyed this episode a lot slower than last week but that's no bad thing sets up the ending very nicely. Really liked when grey matter appeared on the TV and jolted Heisenberg back into action, when they discredited him on TV that was the final straw.

Its hard to believe Jesse could be so stupid, even if he did manage to escape, chances are he wouldn't have got to Andrea in time, and he already knows what a psyco Todd is. Also I wish they showed him actually getting out of the cage it was like seeing half magic trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Its hard to believe Jesse could be so stupid, even if he did manage to escape, chances are he wouldn't have got to Andrea in time, and he already knows what a psyco Todd is.
    He obviously really, really doesn't like Ben & Jerry's.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Plus we know he's capable of it, he pulled the trigger during the very first episode. If the gun hadn't jammed, he would be dead.

Yeah, can you imagine. We'd have spent the last five seasons just watching Skyler and Walt Jr eating breakfast together and Hank and Marie popping over for steaks. For me, the series would definitely have lost something if Walt just killed himself in the first episode. In many ways, it would actually be a totally different show IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Great episode, I burst out laughing when Lydia and Todd were in the cafe and she said that the 92% was "Heisenberg class" or something to that effect and Todd just looked away with this big "awww shucks!" grin on his face. Like he's the star pupil.

Jesse is at rock bottom now, and he's been at rock bottom before.

Strange to being the Grey Matter couple back in, they havent been seen since what season 2? Was a good way of showin how much of an egomaniac Walt is though, was that story about the name of the company true or made up? I can't remember back that far tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The story about the name was true, but it was implied at the beginning of the show (season 1 loike) that he played a 50% role in founding the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Brilliant episode, I thought. Brilliant way to tie in Gray Matter and highlight the real crux of the Heisenberg issue. I don't think that Walt is coming for Gretchen and Elliott, I think it's simply a catalyst for what's to come. It serves as a trigger for Walt. He doesn't want to die, alone and pathetic in a cabin in the arsehole of New Hampshire, with his whole empire collapsed around him. He wants to have a legacy and would rather go out in a blaze of glory than to just fade away. Having the Gray Matter stuff rubbed in his face on television is just reigniting a fire in him. He wants to be remembered as somebody.

I feel so bad for Jesse. He's really getting a hard time of it. How much worse can it possibly get for him? I can't see him having any fight left in him now. I'd love to see him kill Todd and get vengeance, but I don't see how that's going to happen now. His only hope is some escape involving Walt, whether a deliberate rescue plan or just by chance.

Todd is an absolute psychopath. It's a brilliant character, played so well. Every time he's on screen, my skin just crawls, especially any scene with Lydia. She still seems somewhat oblivious to his intense liking of her, which could land her in a bit of trouble. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Todd could turn his back on his boys in favour of Lydia and then she throws him under the bus or something?

Can't wait for the last episode now. So much to get through!

And not to sound like a broken record, but: if Lydia never mentioned the lack of blue colour to Walt, then Walt has no way of knowing that note-taking, star pupil Todd cannot replicate the colour (low percentage yield or no). Therefore, the Schwartz TV appearance would not lead him to think Jesse was back alive and well and cooking in Nazi-camp. So, Walt has no reason to think Jesse is alive. He will spot something in the paper about Andrea, though, and then he will know. He may also realise that Jesse is going through Hell and, well...

When Uncle Jack was asking Walt to tutor Todd in exchange for killing Jesse, he mentioned that the colour needed to be put right - 'Apparently that blue touch that you put on it, it's all the craze with those Slavic types'.

krudler wrote: »
    Great episode, I burst out laughing when Lydia and Todd were in the cafe and she said that the 92% was "Heisenberg class" or something to that effect and Todd just looked away with this big "awww shucks!" grin on his face. Like he's the star pupil.

Jesse is at rock bottom now, and he's been at rock bottom before.

Strange to being the Grey Matter couple back in, they havent been seen since what season 2? Was a good way of showin how much of an egomaniac Walt is though, was that story about the name of the company true or made up? I can't remember back that far tbh.

Not made up. They called the company after the "chemical bonding" of their names. They do seem to be lying about it being Walt's only contribution to the company, as it is made very clear in the Schwartz birthday party episode that Walt was a bit of a chemistry genius and destined for glory back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

WHO THE FüCK IS THE RICIN FOR ???????????????

its keeping me up at night, I cant wait 6 days

vitani wrote: »
    When Uncle Jack was asking Walt to tutor Todd in exchange for killing Jesse, he mentioned that the colour needed to be put right - 'Apparently that blue touch that you put on it, it's all the craze with those Slavic types'.

Thanks. That clears that up.

I'm really beginning to think Brock might be the Kenard of Breaking Bad... Gilligan wouldn't do that to us, would he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I have no idea how this will work out.

Walt has three motivations that i can make out now:

Revenge on Jack and his gang

Get money to his family

Restore reputation involving grey matter

Who the fcuk knows how it will play out?

Very impressive that the show keeps you guessing until the end but i can't see myself being satisfied this time next week.

Right now Walt can't make contact with anyone, can't get in touch with family, can't find where Jesse and Todd are.

All he can really do is get the gun, get the ricin and then either go after Grey Matter or Lydia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I've actually been dreaming about Breaking Bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement