Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hkc Alarm/ Hkc Gsm Advice wanted

Options
  • 19-09-2013 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi, I got my hkc alarm/gsm fitted approx 5 years. It dosen't mention model number just secure watch and alarm company name.
    The problem arose when my sim on my gsm expired and 80 euros on sim as well lol! All attempts to get sim activated has failed.
    I purchased a new tesco sim put some credit, set call forward to my mobile and put no password on sim and then I put the sim in the gsm.
    I then texted my sim with my alarm password and Arm but the alarm did not activate.

Would I need to enter my new sim phone number on the alarm panel, if so any idea how this would be done in laymans terms, thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

I don't think you have to change any settings but you may have to power down the alarm system and power it up again.
    What do you mean by set call forward to your mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pat1981

Thanks for your reply and advice and apologies for not explaining myself properly. I meant to say when I purchased my new sim card before I placed it in the gsm, I put this in my mobile phone first then went into menu, call settings, call forwarding and entered my mobile number so I would be able to receive notification if my alarm went off.

I forgot to mention a light appears beside fault on my alarm panel but i think this is related to the fact my old sim card on the gsm was deactivated.

I'll try the power off as you mentioned thanks.

I don't understand why you set it to forward calls to your mobile. If you send a command to the sim in the alarm wouldn't it simply redirect back to yourself? I have installed a fair few of those and I never set any call forwarding so you shouldn't have done it afaik.

ok thanks didn't realize, i assumed the sim in the gsm would need my mobile number to text me if alarm went off hence the automatic call forwarding. Ive disabled call forwarding on the sim.

I hope this dosen't sound stupid but how will I receive message if alarm goes off and the new sim card in the gsm does not have my mobile to contact me.

I tried setting alarm but didnt work thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You need to power down the GSM & them put in the sim card. Like a mobile phone the unit must power up with the sim in place for it to initialize .
    The text messages & numbers are then programmed into the unit via the alarm keypad.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    unfortunately I haven't succeeded in getting my new sim card to work with my alarm.

I tried powering down my alarm by turning off the mains, four hours later and still hearing the beep noise from the alarm, turned mains on as was worried about food in freezer.

I opened my gsm panel where I put my sim card seeing if there was a battery but couldn't find one.

I then came up with the brain wave of opening the alarm panel on the wall next to the mains.
    I unscrewed the panel just about to remove the lid and my alarm went off, great 2 in the morning my neighbors are going to love me.

I turned alarm off, went to set alarm night setting and it wouldn't set. A message appeared line fault, open tamper (s) panel lid tamper system unset.

Now my alarm not working, any advice with a code to enter to get rid of this so my alarm will work.

Thank you in advance for any assistance given.

sounds like you have gsm-p which has its own cabinet.
    The alarm backup battery is in the alarm control panel, not the gsm cabinet and when powering down you must disconnect this by removing one of the leads as well as turning off mains supply. it only takes a second to power down and then power up so it can register the sim.
    the fault you are getting is because you don't have the lid of the cabinet on properly. there is a spring inside which must be depressed or you will get the message 'panel lid tamper'.

Thanks for your advice secured the panel correctly and that solved the problem with the tampering fault.

The actual alarm panel I couldn't access, i couldn't see any screw to unlock. I opened the door to the keypad area and couldn't figure out how to open that part to gain access to where the battery would be.

Any suggestions very greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That's the keypad you are at. The alarm panel is a bigger metal boethius probably located at the fuse board, in the hot press or in a utility room. When you open it up you will see the battery sitting in the base of it. If there is a fused spur beside it turn the power off from there, if not turn it off from the fuse board.

Thanks for all replies and advice, did find battery in the end, disconnected briefly and noticed power off to alarm panel. Reconnected battery but unfortunately when I texted my sim to set alarm, alarm did not start. Interestingly it is still showing a line fault on the alarm panel, think its time to ring around. thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

pat1981 wrote: »
    Thanks for all replies and advice, did find battery in the end, disconnected briefly and noticed power off to alarm panel. Reconnected battery but unfortunately when I texted my sim to set alarm, alarm did not start. Interestingly it is still showing a line fault on the alarm panel, think its time to ring around. thanks guys.

That would indicate a problem with the sims network or the sim itself.
    I would buy a ready to go sim and try again with the security code turned off and see if that works. No setting in the control panel need to be changed if they have being set up from the start.

Advertisement