Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacOS - Internet Dropping Out?

Options
  • 19-09-2013 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wondering is anyone else having this problem. My MacBook is dropping its network connection every 10 mins or so, it quickly rejoins but it does appear to be losing connectivity. Happens on both Eduroam and WaveLAN, and it happens in nearly all buildings. Hence why I think its the MacBook. Seems to only occur when I'm actually loading anything i.e. Uploading an email attachment etc.

Running 10.8.5 in case anyone else can do a comparison.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

That sounds more like a problem with your WiFi (Airport) card or antenna.

Is your machine still under warranty / in the AppleCare programme?
    If so, you can send it back to Apple.

If not, I'd suggest maybe taking it into an Apple dealership / repair centre.

The boards.ie Mac forum is also possibly helpful : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=108

It could be as simple as a broken / loose antenna connection.

Is it happening on other WiFi networks or only in UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

SpaceTime wrote: »
    That sounds more like a problem with your WiFi (Airport) card or antenna.

Is your machine still under warranty / in the AppleCare programme?
    If so, you can send it back to Apple.

If not, I'd suggest maybe taking it into an Apple dealership / repair centre.

The boards.ie Mac forum is also possibly helpful : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=108

It could be as simple as a broken / loose antenna connection.

Is it happening on other WiFi networks or only in UCD?

Yeah, that was my first thought that it was the AirPort card. But it doesn't appear to be happening at home. That said, I'm downloading a big file now (At home) and I think it just happened as the download dropped. However, its more prevalent in UCD. Might get on to Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

@OP how did you get access to Eduroam?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Vorophobe wrote: »
    @OP how did you get access to Eduroam?

Its all here: http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/eduroam/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

ironclaw wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Just wondering is anyone else having this problem. My MacBook is dropping its network connection every 10 mins or so, it quickly rejoins but it does appear to be losing connectivity. Happens on both Eduroam and WaveLAN, and it happens in nearly all buildings. Hence why I think its the MacBook. Seems to only occur when I'm actually loading anything i.e. Uploading an email attachment etc.

Running 10.8.5 in case anyone else can do a comparison.

Anyone else?

I experience the same problem. Mine is a Packard Bell Laptop.

I think it depends on your location. I'm mostly in Arts block and there are some bad wifi areas there.

If you move into a lecture theater or classroom or near the IT centre they are strong locations.

Was told by an IT guy that they are starting to update the wifi service across campus. They have already done the Daedalus building.

• Advertisement
Advertisement