Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to i set up first.lastname@mydit.ie email?

Options
  • 19-09-2013 9:49am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From the The Definitive Guide to DIT 2.0 - Now with Links! thread does the following still apply for changing your email to first.lastname@mydit.ie?
    How to send from first.lastname@mydit.ie

Not sure if someone has put this up before. When you log into your account, up the top right there should be number@mydit.ie and a wheel. Click the "number@mydit.ie"

You should see under Email addresses 4 emails
    pick which one you want to send emails from and copy it.

Now if you look below you will see under "My Products" some links. One of them is gmail. Click the settings link beside it. Alternatively you can get here by clicking the wheel icon while in your inbox view.

Go to accounts tab. Now click "Add another email address you own". Paste this address in and hit next step.

Now check your inbox for the confirmation code and type it in.
    Once all that is done, you can click the link to the right of any email address that says "make default" in the accounts tab. You can also edit info and select what name you want to send as.

Now you can select who you want to send as. Go to compose message from your main email page. See the drop down menu that says "From:". You can select who you want to send from here.

BE WARNED. You can see the originally email address in the email headers. If you're paranoid and absolutely need to hide your student number, this won't do.
    If you want to see someone elses, just open their email in gmail. At the top where the reply button is there is an arrow. click that and click see original email. It'll probably look like rubbish but their originally email will be in the return path. Just have someone send you an email and look for your student number in there. Mine appears in the return path, received-spf and authentication-results.

I cant seem to select an alternative email address through the gmail app.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

godtabh wrote: »
    From the The Definitive Guide to DIT 2.0 - Now with Links! thread does the following still apply for changing your email to first.lastname@mydit.ie?

I cant seem to select an alternative email address through the gmail app.

It worked for me, but I did it on my laptop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'll try it on the laptop when i get home

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

It was already set up when I first signed into MyDIT/Google Apps (on the laptop, not mobile). I sign in as A12341234@mydit.ie but send & receive mail as firstname.surname@mydit.ie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Seem to have it working now. Thanks for the help

Advertisement