Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valuation of ring

• 19-09-2013 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Would be grateful for recommendations of shops/persons who do valuations of rings in Dublin city center or Dublin 15 area please and thank you.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most jewellers in Dublin city do valuations. My parents use Applebys as all there jewellery was brought there and are most flexible on the price. Make if the ring has diamonds in it, that the jewellers tightens them. I know someone who was afraid to get them tighten as she thought the jewellery might switch her expensive diamond with a lesser one. Eventually her good diamond fell out and she had to spend a fortune to get it replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

I can highly recommend David Dupuy at http://www.irishvaluations.com/. Really nice guy to deal with and very happy with the service and valuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Got ours done with Carol Clarke off Dawson St in Dublin city. She values it right there while you wait, it doesn't have to be sent off anywhere or anything. Great service...
    http://www.dublinjewelleryvaluations.ie/

PS: it's also a flat rate that you can ask for beforehand if you want as I hear lots of valuers go by a percentage of valued item, which in my mind can only skew their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Myxi and Gatica,

Thanks for your replies.

€100 for a valuation is high IMO - wish there was cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

It is expensive. I can say tho that the Report is excellent, pictures, measurements, dimensions all recorded. We bought the ring abroad so we were happy to have everything verfied by an independent valuer. At the time I called a few jewllers in Dublin and they were all quoting around the €50 - €70 mark for a valuation and it was not as indepth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

They do a metal test as well to verify gold/silver/platinum. We got report on all items with pictures sent to us a few days after the valuation.

Apparently cost of valuation will also differ a little depending on size of a diamond and number of diamonds, as it's calculated "by hand" since the diamonds are not removed from setting to be weighed/measured. A larger diamond requires more accurate calculation as margin for error is more critical than in smaller diamonds, and if you've lots of small diamonds for example that also means there's more work than if it's just one.

We got 3 ring and a pair of earrings valued for 120 Euro. It was good value for all of that, but you're less likely to get a good deal per item if it's just one you're valuing.

Advertisement