Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan Outdoor Storage - Frost Damage?

Options
  • 19-09-2013 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi,.
    We are thinking of buying a caravan and are looking at storage options. I don't fancy leaving a 17ft caravan on the drive year round.

If a caravan was left in an outdoor compound for the winter would it suffer from frost damage??

Nic Nac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

nicnac wrote: »
    Hi,.
    We are thinking of buying a caravan and are looking at storage options. I don't fancy leaving a 17ft caravan on the drive year round.

If a caravan was left in an outdoor compound for the winter would it suffer from frost damage??

Nic Nac

No, but the water pipes and taps will if not fully drained down.

You can safely leave your caravan or motorhome out in the cold so long as you drain off all water.
    Don't forget to make sure any filters are also empty of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

There's 2 other hazards to think about, the first is "water ingress" i.e. leaks that let rain water in & general damp, and the 2nd is wind.

On water ingress having it in a shed (even haybarn) to keep the worst weather off it would be good, of course it shouldnt matter but the less you test these things the better. If you can get a shed then get a good aluminised breathable cover, should be some help.

To combat damp you can have dehumidiers, salt packs/containers (some in Lidl or Aldi early this year but missed them), put on the heating now and again OR leave out a plate of salt which is meant to soak moisture in the air. Make sure you leave any submersible pumps etc in the sink as opposed to anywhere they might drip onto cupboards etc.

Re wind - basically in a storm it could be at risk of toppling over. So find somewhere with good shelter, dont put it "side on" to the prevailing wind, consider tying it down with ropes over the top but watch you protect the caravan from any chaffing that might occur if there's occasional "play" between the rope/ratchet strap and the caravan. I suppose in theory lots of weight left low in the caravan, or even hung off the axle(s) of the caravan, will lower the centre of gravity and make a topple less likely.

There are various theories about the leisure battery, how letting it discharge fully is fatal etc etc, I havent found it to be a big issue, just try to have it on full charge and then disconnect one of the terminals before you leave it. That should do. I also take all the cushions/certains etc out - no point having stuff that could get damp damaged left there, it shouldnt matter but no extra marks for taking unnecessary changes.

Betsy Og wrote: »
    There are various theories about the leisure battery, how letting it discharge fully is fatal etc etc, I havent found it to be a big issue, just try to have it on full charge and then disconnect one of the terminals before you leave it. That should do..

These aren't theories they're well documented fact. It's not always fatal, consistently just accelerated permanent loss of capacity and shortening of life-cycles. A healthy lead acid self-discharges at 5% per month, one suffering with sulphation will discharge faster. They also don't like being frozen as they can crack or buckle and short. Now charging a frozen battery is often fatal.

If they're fully charged to begin with, they won't freeze until about < -20°C
    Best take them indoors and check them every now and again, charge every time it drops below 12.4v.
    You don't have to take my word for it, just look at the back-catalogue of any year for Jan - April and observe the abundant "leisure battery kaput!" threads.

Advertisement