Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Found his Bark

• 19-09-2013 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

So our 18 week old puppy (miniature schnauzer) has found his bark, and now he doesn't seem to want to stop using it. He is a very vocal, communicative dog, does a low growl at the door to let you know he needs to go out, barks excitedly and quietly (I now realise) when he knows his food is coming. Whines for a belly rub in the morning when we are rushing around for school run. A 30 second dose of affection and he is happy out!

Up until yesterday he hadn't barked aggressively, or at anyone at all, postman, junk mail etc. I fed him at lunch time and let him out to wee, and all of a sudden I heard almighty barking, and looked out to see him in an aggressive stance, back legs out, chest forward, giving it socks! The house behind us was having a satellite dish fitted, and he was barking at the Sky man on their roof. I brought him in, and he kept it up at the door, until I closed the curtains.

The problem is, he has done it every time he has gone out since, barking up at what is now only a dish! Barked the place down at 11.30 last night, and again at 7.30 and 10 this morning! Will he forget about this now non existent work man? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

Hi OP, it sounds to me like he is actually barking at the dish, rather than the man (now non-existent). My dogs will sometimes do it too, if they see something suspicious (to them), for example couple weeks my neighbour and his kids were flying a kite and the dogs were barking mad at it.
    What I did was I distracted them with playing their favourite game (fetch) and they stopped barking even after we quit playing, I think they realized the kite is not a threat.
    Maybe you could try something like that?

Advertisement