Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trying to trace my dads Mack F Series

Options
  • 19-09-2013 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm trying to track down my dads old Mack F Series tractor unit. 16YII was the reg.

The truck started out with Roadstone in I think 76, my dad then bought it and hauled with the B&I Line through the 80's right up to the end. I think he sold the truck in and around 87/88/89. The guy that bought the truck I'm told put two Hino rear drive axles under it but never worked out the gearing and that limited the truck to about 45mph.....prior to this my dad had been pulled by the cops for doing 90 in it!!! :) From what I remember it was a white cab with a black and red stripe. I think it had the three piece wheels on the front and single axle on the back. As mentioned I think it was either stretched or the drive shaft shortened and two odd axles fitted after he sold it.

Haligans in Wicklow didn't scrap it nor did Joe Mooney out in Meath, I had heard a report it was in Behans Quarry outside Rathcoole but that was false. Any clues as to where she might have ended up?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I think you may have the reg number wrong . I don't think any county used II

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FR85

corktina wrote: »
    I think you may have the reg number wrong . I don't think any county used II

16yii is what I have been told, I cannot make head nor tail of the old reg numbers in Ireland at all but this is the reg he gave me.....

Taken from Wiki:

1 ARI to 999 YRI (Jul 1974 - May 1975)(note reverse GRI IRI SRI VRI and ZRI not issued);
    1 AIK to 999 ZIK (May 1975 - Mar 1976)(note reverse GIK SIK and VIK not issued);
    1 AYI to 999 YYI (Mar 1976 - Jan 1977)(note reverse ZYI not issued);

So maybe it's 16 YYI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

YI would be more likely I think

The system is in fact the old UK system and survived until 1986, the NI system is still based on the old UK system. The UK did not issue I and Z and most Irish numbers seemed to incorporate one or the other.

corktina wrote: »
    YI would be more likely I think

The system is in fact the old UK system and survived until 1986, the NI system is still based on the old UK system. The UK did not issue I and Z and most Irish numbers seemed to incorporate one or the other.

I had a free look on cartell.ie and none of the above numbers show up anything. I have typed in some original reg's of some of the Fiats and other classics I have and they came up so it seems likely the truck hasn't been taxed in maybe 15+ years.....
    I think it was bought by someone in the north west, Longford/Leitrim is ringing a bell........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

If you pop down to the ferry terminal you'll see where most old trucks are heading - to AFRICA :eek:

I'd be in Vietnam a bit and (strangely enough considering it's past ) Macks and all US and Korean trucks are very popular there

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2713/4269805286_8519d578f7.jpg

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/35814052@N06/popular-interesting/

http://static.commercialmotor.com/big-lorry-blog/Vietnam%20Mack.jpg

• Advertisement

Capri wrote: »
    If you pop down to the ferry terminal you'll see where most old trucks are heading - to AFRICA :eek:

I'd be in Vietnam a bit and (strangely enough considering it's past ) Macks and all US and Korean trucks are very popular there

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2713/4269805286_8519d578f7.jpg

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/35814052@N06/popular-interesting/

http://static.commercialmotor.com/big-lorry-blog/Vietnam%20Mack.jpg

Where was the Roadstone picture taken??

Yeah, my dad sold a Daf 1992 2300 flat bed to an African chap who then loaded it with a Transit tipper and something else and put it on the boat. The guy told him the reason all the older stuff is liked is because of 1 the price and 2 how easy it is to fix with out the need for laptops etc.
    You can see it with all the early 90's Hino FY and GS's when they pop up on donedeal that add states they are ideal for export.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

FR85 wrote: »
    Where was the Roadstone picture taken??
    Belgard Quarry in 1984 according to the caption.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35814052@N06/4269805286/

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Great link Capri - thanks for posting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

This it?

If not log in to IrishRigs.com and you may find it.
    I'm still hoping someone there might post a pic of my Dads Hino 336, also ex B+I.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Did Roadstone import them to sell or did someone else have the agency ??

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »
    Belgard Quarry in 1984 according to the caption.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35814052@N06/4269805286/[/QUOTE]

I'll put my hands in the air there.....blind idiot I am!!! :confused:

Hermy wrote: »
    This it?

If not log in to IrishRigs.com and you may find it.
    I'm still hoping someone there might post a pic of my Dads Hino 336, also ex B+I.

Jesus, I think you did good!! Send me a PM and I'll see if my dad has info on your dads 336, my dad and grandfather had wagons on the docks for years. My grandad had a small fleet of Hino's until his passing in 85.

The only 336/ZM I've seen lately is Jennings one a year or three ago.
    The 336 tow truck Harris's had, is that still about? My dad and a chap called John Fox (if memory serves) stretched that originally from a tractor in Fox and Geese's years ago

I've tried setting up an account with irishrigs there, hopefully it's shed some light!!

Many thanks Hermy!!! Keep in touch

Did Roadstone import them to sell or did someone else have the agency ??

I think Roadstone had the agency, they built for themselves and sold to the public too. I think RS is where my dad had to go for spares.

How many they had, sold and exported is a good question. I know in the mid 90's Joe Mooney had three ex-circus examples, 2 x cabovers and one long nose. I think they were all broken up, the roof had given way on one cabover, the long nose was in a bind altogether and the other one if memory serves, the cab had sagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I recall going to a motor show in the late 70's in the NEC and there was a Mack stand there with an F700 on it. There were a good few cab overs in the UK and Ireland at the time but never saw a conventional on the road. I used to build AMT kits of American trucks and built an F700 tractor unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The Mack I remember seeing in the mid 70"s or so was a cab over belonging to Pardrig (sp?) Nestor Transport from Galway.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

This thread here mentions a few Macks
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68097868

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

FR85 wrote: »
    I had a free look on cartell.ie and none of the above numbers show up anything. I have typed in some original reg's of some of the Fiats and other classics I have and they came up so it seems likely the truck hasn't been taxed in maybe 15+ years.....
    I think it was bought by someone in the north west, Longford/Leitrim is ringing a bell........

Fr 85, I had a Mack, a four year old post of mine has been linked here
    there was a haulier in the NW ,like Longford,Leitrim /Rorcommon way who had a number of Macks. they operated a few miles eastward off a National trunk road ,and had yokes lined along the road, like it was their yard. the name Mc Cann rings a bell also, though that is not the name of the NW haulier

I gave 2500 punts for mine and loved it , drove it all over the Uk and a bit of Europe, sold it for 1000 punts and the new owner failed to check oil, engine failed, and it was sold for export. ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

FR 85, it might be worth contacting the Ulster Vintage Commercial Vehicle Club, in the Nov.2012 issue of Irish Vintage Scene one of their members was featured with an Oshkosh of similar vintage 573 BRI which was owned by McCormic McNaughton .The current owner is Ml. Fee who is a club member, maybe someone up there might be able to shed some light as to the whereabouts of the Mack

Thanks Redace and Rugbyman.

I'll see what he want's to do now, he can't use a computer so this was my job, phone calls and the like he can make.

I think at this stage it must have been parted out or left in a hedge. I think he would like to find her but I doubt there would be much left!

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

FR 85,
    very few trucks were left lying around, there has always been an export market
    for trucks, and unfortunately quite a few tonnes of scrap in anything that was not wanted for export.
    have you verified the reg no? if so ,can you check the last registered owner with the authorities?
    Is the picture that someone put up here ,showing a Mack ,hooked out, beside a trailer, your dads one?
    Good luck

• Advertisement

Rugbyman,

That is/was the reg. The picture he isn't sure about, his had a black stripe but perhaps it was painted post sale.

I think he has been down the reg raod and tracing. Has never mentioned it going fro export.

Irish Rigs site, I have registered but Jez Louise they take their time activating my account!! Any mods on here for irishrigs.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jimmy diesel junior

I am 95% sure that the picture is Road stone Hunts town and not Belgard.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

John A Wood Ltd, a Cork subsidary of Roadstone had an F series tractor unit in the 70's and early 80's. It was supplied by Roadstone and was used for hauling gravel. I recollect that it was sold to the Circus some time in the mid 80's

Just a bump on this if that is ok........

Advertisement