Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distorted Estate Agent Advert Pictures

Options
  • 19-09-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Something that is really beginning to annoy me is the use of special camera lenses that distort the shape and size of a room on daft and myhome etc..

Its really obvious in some pics but others that a better at it are really misleading.

Would this practice be viewed and misleading advertising or am I just being super sensitive?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumer_advertising.html

"The main legislation concerning advertisements in Ireland is the Consumer Protection Act, 2007. This Act sets out, among other things, various rules that apply to claims made about goods and services. In particular this Act protects consumers from misleading advertisements and ensures that trade is fair. Under the Act it is an offence for an advertiser/trader to make false claims about goods, services or prices. All types of communications that promote goods or services are covered by the Act. This includes advertisements, a notice in a shop or even a claim made by a sales assistant about a product or service. EU laws also ensure that misleading advertising is forbidden in all Member States. Under SI 134/1988 (European Communities (Misleading Advertising) Regulations, 1988), any person can apply to the High Court for an order prohibiting the publication of misleading advertising."

Should we report these adverts on the sites as misleading?

One house I viewed in particular really p!ssed me off. The living room looked quite spacious in the pics but seeing it in reality was another story.

Is it only me or do others share my views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

It's very annoying as you can really be wasting your time going to view these places, but what can you do about it really, saying the room looks a lot more spacious in the photos is very subjective, I doubt there's a case for false advertising tbh. The estate agent could just point to the room measurements in the ad and say they are accurate so that's what you should be judging from, for your own sake try to get an idea of what those figures equate to in terms of furniture etc, how many sq. metres of space you want and so on.
    I say this as someone who viewed a place a few months ago that was beautifully decorated and spacious in the photos, but in reality was beautifully decorated and feckin tiny! When I went back and looked at the ad I made a point of keeping those measurements in mind when looking at other ads

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

completely agree about the use of wideangle lenses or even panoramic shots! one EA even joked about the practice at a recent viewing.

whether there is anything in reporting, i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

To me this practice is a deliberate attempt to mislead people. why else would they do it?

I'm might drop daft and myhome an email to see what their views are.

I can see an argument in favour of it in that you can see more of the room, but perhaps if there was an icon of symbol on the photo saying its panoramic or wide angle at least people would know. it would at least create a level playing field with those who post traditional/normal photos.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Complain. The estate agent is licensed by the Property Services Regulator. There is a defined complaint process. Visit www.psr.ie for further information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I don't see it as misleading.

In fairness if Im paying an EA Id expect things to look as perfect and as appealing as possible. Using a wide agnle lens doesn't change that it shows it in its best light.

Its not like they are photoshopping things. It is what the picture shows. How can people be annoyed at somebody marketing something in the best way possible ?

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    Its not like they are photoshopping things. It is what the picture shows.

It is like touching up photographs in Photoshop. They look a hell of a lot better than they do in real life- and they also present an image that you simply can't see with normal vision. Its not false- but its also not what you'll encounter.

With wide-angle photography- its presenting an image in a manner that isn't native to our natural vision. Aka- its distorting the image visually- so it appears to the untrained eye as something that it is not. I can tell when a wide angle lens has been used- because I've done photography courses, and indeed habitually use a 28mm lens- most people walking down the street- can't tell the difference though. I use wide angle lens particularly for taking pictures of trees- in an enclosed space you can see a lot more than you would otherwise be able to see. Its the same as an estate agent is doing. Its not natural though- and unless you expressly advise that a wide angle lens has been used, you are misrepresenting the scene to people viewing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

D3PO wrote: »
    I don't see it as misleading.

In fairness if Im paying an EA Id expect things to look as perfect and as appealing as possible. Using a wide agnle lens doesn't change that it shows it in its best light.

Its not like they are photoshopping things. It is what the picture shows. How can people be annoyed at somebody marketing something in the best way possible ?

There are some that take the mickey though, there must be a bit of photo shop-ing going on. ie Furniture re sized or something.

The property I looked at that prompted the thread had a living room that looked massive with a large window. but when I saw it in reality the sofa took up half the room and the window was 4' by 5'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

It is like touching up photographs in Photoshop. They look a hell of a lot better than they do in real life- and they also present an image that you simply can't see with normal vision. Its not false- but its also not what you'll encounter.

With wide-angle photography- its presenting an image in a manner that isn't native to our natural vision. Aka- its distorting the image visually- so it appears to the untrained eye as something that it is not. I can tell when a wide angle lens has been used- because I've done photography courses, and indeed habitually use a 28mm lens- most people walking down the street- can't tell the difference though. I use wide angle lens particularly for taking pictures of trees- in an enclosed space you can see a lot more than you would otherwise be able to see. Its the same as an estate agent is doing. Its not natural though- and unless you expressly advise that a wide angle lens has been used, you are misrepresenting the scene to people viewing it.

Its nothing specific to housing.

Go into McDonalds and order a Big Mac look at it then look at the picture of it on the menu behind the counter. Its exactly the same thing.

Its called marketing, anybody or company that doesn't try and make their product look as appealing as it can be isn't doing their job. People should be aware of this when viewing a visual representation of a product weather it be a house or a burger and their expectations should be adjusted accordingly.

It would help a lot if every advertisement was obliged to include dimensions and floor plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I don't think you will have any joy.

A few years age I complained (I think it was to Advertising Standards) about showing pictures of lovely houses when in fact the sale was just for building land. I was informed that there was no problem with the advert.

So much for truthful advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

whatnext wrote: »
    There are some that take the mickey though, there must be a bit of photo shop-ing going on. ie Furniture re sized or something.

I think the average agent seems to struggle just to take a reasonable photo let alone operate PS to a level that would enable masking and layer resizing.I am actually amazed at how bad some of the photos are that agents put up since these are effectively their 'shop window' where they are supposed to attract custom; it is like Tesco's displaying rotten fruit.

Not sure whether the use of wide lenses is intended to be misleading or just intended to capture more of the room but one of the notable applications for a w/a lens is for photgraphing interiors so I am guessing you would have a hard job proving misrepresentation if the agent is taking interior photos with equipment designed for that purpose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

whatnext wrote: »
    Something that is really beginning to annoy me is the use of special camera lenses that distort the shape and size of a room on daft and myhome etc..

Its really obvious in some pics but others that a better at it are really misleading.

Would this practice be viewed and misleading advertising or am I just being super sensitive?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumer_advertising.html

"The main legislation concerning advertisements in Ireland is the Consumer Protection Act, 2007. This Act sets out, among other things, various rules that apply to claims made about goods and services. In particular this Act protects consumers from misleading advertisements and ensures that trade is fair. Under the Act it is an offence for an advertiser/trader to make false claims about goods, services or prices. All types of communications that promote goods or services are covered by the Act. This includes advertisements, a notice in a shop or even a claim made by a sales assistant about a product or service. EU laws also ensure that misleading advertising is forbidden in all Member States. Under SI 134/1988 (European Communities (Misleading Advertising) Regulations, 1988), any person can apply to the High Court for an order prohibiting the publication of misleading advertising."

Should we report these adverts on the sites as misleading?

One house I viewed in particular really p!ssed me off. The living room looked quite spacious in the pics but seeing it in reality was another story.

Is it only me or do others share my views?

Of course it's annoying but that's why you should always view and see the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

To be fair you're not being tricked into buying (/renting) something...While I understand nobody likes wasting their time. However of course the agent is going to paint the property in the best possible light.

I would of thought wide angle lens photos are obvious that that's what they are, but maybe thats just me with an amateur interest in photography.

If you check out some of the top end properties..(millions+) those photos are generally the same...ie wide angle lens etc.

For the future, as previously said try to get accustomed to the measurements, get a rough idea of your current property and compare it to that. I wouldnt waste your time complaining to anyone.

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Another thing that annoys me is people using the same photos for every house/apartment in a development.

It's always the same - they go to the biggest apartment, the most expensive one thats kitted out to the highest standard and use the wide angle lens and then use those photos for every single apartment available.

You may as well attach no photos to an ad - that's how much use those ones are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Why are we surprised????

Estate Agents were every bit as guilty in helping fuel the property bubble.

Their clever marketing and bubble speak drove prices to the point of bust.

Chelsea Demesne,'Executive homes in a sylvan setting only an hour from Dublin' translated to inferior quality housing in some hole of a place with no facilities,travel time based on driving a car at 120 mph during the wee hours to reach the Dublin County border!

So with improved digital or trick photography they are now promoting distorted photos to draw in their prey.

Any group who are self regulated...........well what more can we say. oh and buy the way Phase 1 sold out from plan, Phase 2 sold out completely, and finally we are taking names from interested parties for those interested in phase 3. Form an orderly queue now please, don't forget to bring your sleeping bags and thermos flasks!:D

Beware of the shiny suited, hair gelled Estate Agent, ask yourself would you buy a second hand car from them let alone a property , with a mortgage for 20 years

Buyer beware!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Ortiz

Why would an EA not try and use all at their disposal (wide angle cameras, photoshop etc.) to shine a property in its best light?? If I was selling my property I'd be pretty annoyed if my EA was using a €60 digital camera!

Some of ye are are seriously delusional:
    So with improved digital or trick photography they are now promoting distorted photos to draw in their prey.

Ya their good photos are really going to make someone part with hundreds of thousands...Come on - they are taking photos and editing them as well as they can to get people in the door. From that point on they're not forcing you to do anything and it's your decision from there. If you were selling with an EA would you not want this service?? Or would you give them your iphone and ask them to use that?
    To me this practice is a deliberate attempt to mislead people. why else would they do it?

To make the photos look as well as they can - to get people in the door.
    Furniture re sized or something

Resizing furniture??? I can't even comment on this.

I completely agree that room dimensions should be mandatory though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It's very annoying, but its not like you are required by law to start renting or buying when you get there.

I don't think it's any more annoying than someone putting pictures up of a stunning (if small) sitting room, with a large, clean tiled kitchen and a gorgeous back garden, and when you come to view you realise that the carpet upstairs is covered in stains, bleached a different colour in places, and most of the beds are broken and there are marks and chips and even cracks on the walls. They're showing you what they think will draw you to the place, because a lot of naive and new renters will totally override the bad with the good.

Have been renting for years, but my partner and I moved in together about 6 months ago and the place our estate agent showed us was gorgeous outside and inside (downstairs) and pretty okay upstairs. My partner was delirious to take it despite the garden being shared, the main room being up two flights of very dangerous stairs and the house being next to a nightclub. We saw the pics of the downstairs and its what drew us there, but when I got a look around we saw why it was empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Ortiz wrote: »

Anyone who has viewed a "showhouse" on anything like a regular basis will notice that the furniture is often about 85% full-size, and will be somewhat odd - half-tables, 30cm-deep drawer units etc. It's a very well-known trick. I viewed a BtL studio flat a while back which, bearing in mind it's a studio flat, didn't have any indication that anyone would have to sleep there. It had a crying chair too.

As for the photos, as long as they are of the property itself, I can't see any issue. You may as well complain that they change the aspect ratio of the pictures. It's a non-issue to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Why would an EA not try and use all at their disposal (wide angle cameras, photoshop etc.) to shine a property in its best light?? If I was selling my property I'd be pretty annoyed if my EA was using a €60 digital camera!

Ya their good photos are really going to make someone part with hundreds of thousands...Come on - they are taking photos and editing them as well as they can to get people in the door. From that point on they're not forcing you to do anything and it's your decision from there. If you were selling with an EA would you not want this service?? Or would you give them your iphone and ask them to use that?

Well, BER Certs are mandatory sine the beginning of this year - but how many adverts on Daft and Myhomes (among others) still don't have the required information.

In the current climate I don't understand why anyone would give their house to an EA to sell it for them. Why would they part with several thousand pounds to some Johnny Come Lately , who is a self regulated asshole.
    Surely the seller is capable of taking a few photos and advertising the property on Daft himself or use the Owners Direct facility and save himself thousands of euros!:D

• Advertisement

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=452866

See link above, photo of a nice house and a mere €95k wow!

One I came across recently!

1. The photo is not the actual house for sale

2. Number 19 , the actual house for sale is one of four semid's in shell format.

3. The cost to complete the houses to be at the purchasers expense may be circa €40k

Amazing , delusional ? Don't think so.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=452866

See link above, photo of a nice house and a mere €95k wow!

One I came across recently!

1. The photo is not the actual house for sale

2. Number 19 , the actual house for sale is one of four semid's in shell format.

3. The cost to complete the houses to be at the purchasers expense may be circa €40k

Amazing , delusional ? Don't think so.

Complain......
    There is a regulator- their website is www.psr.ie

Advertisement