Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SanDisk cruzer switch seen as a hard drive not a removable disk

Options
  • 19-09-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

hi all i have 2 SanDisk cruzer switch 64GB, image below
    269899-sandisk-cruzer-switch.jpg

and when i plug it into my computer i shows up as local disk not a removable drive see attached picture

i need to make this a Ghost bootable NTFS disk so it can hold the images i require on it as well as being botable

i cant seem to find and way make the system see it as a removable disk

any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Is it a U3 drive? See any software called U3 Launchpad?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

hi all i have 2 SanDisk cruzer switch 64GB, image below
    269899-sandisk-cruzer-switch.jpg

and when i plug it into my computer i shows up as local disk not a removable drive see attached picture

i need to make this a Ghost bootable NTFS disk so it can hold the images i require on it as well as being botable

i cant seem to find and way make the system see it as a removable disk

any help is greatly appreciated

Have you tried plugging it in to another machine if possible? Does it have the same issue? I'm guessing it could be the OS detecting a 64GB drive as a SSD hard disk but I'm not sure

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

apparently is something to do with win 8 compatibility.

YES i think i have to remove the U3 launch pad from the drive

thanks but i have the removal tool but it says there is no U3 on the disk.

im thinking of booting into Gparted and see what happens from there :-)

• Advertisement

No joy I have removed everything and still sees it at a hardrive I might need to modify the device ini. Any thoughts?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

No joy I have removed everything and still sees it at a hardrive I might need to modify the device ini. Any thoughts?

Did you try nuking all partitions on it in GParted and formatting again? What happens if you format it as FAT32? It might be enough for it to detect as a removable disk

Nick

Ill try that but it cabe as fat 32. I refirmated using gparted by deleting everything then creating a ntfs in gparted. I think this is going to be a battle but Im up for a challenge. And think ill post a guide when I get it working. :-)

Maybe I should look into how to set a internal drive as a removable like in a caddy hot swapable drive and not worry about it thinking its internal.

And it does that on other computers as well?

Yes apparently its a win 8 compatibleaty thing. Will try some linux OS soon on it too.

Miggt be interesting to see how my phone sees it also

But in theory I can change the device to be removeable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement