Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon in Spring 14

Options
  • 19-09-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭

Hey,

As my dreams of DCM13 slowly run (with a limp) away from me due to injury, I was thinking of stepping back training a bit for October, using the training I currently have done as a good base and targetting a marathon in Spring 14. I had a look in race calander for 2013 but didn't see anything before May. Anything out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Doing Rotterdam myself in Apr and Barcelona is on in March as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

crisco10 wrote: »
    Hey,

As my dreams of DCM13 slowly run (with a limp) away from me due to injury, I was thinking of stepping back training a bit for October, using the training I currently have done as a good base and targetting a marathon in Spring 14. I had a look in race calander for 2013 but didn't see anything before May. Anything out there?

It depends on how far you are willing to go! You have Tralee I think in March but other than that nothing much until Great Limerick Run in May.

Unless you are willing to go abroad...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Kildare in April, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

Would have preferred Ireland to be honest, but could always have a city break with herself where I disappear for a day then am a little sore after! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Kildare 27th of april

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Connemara is around that time I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

2014:

Tralee 16 Mar
    Connemara 6 Apr
    Kildare 27 Apr

In addition to that the marathon club usually organise at least one marathon per month, but they are usually self sufficient and I wouldn't really recommend it to a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

As far as I know there is a back2back marathon weekend in Clonakilty (February 14-15th) as well and I think they accepted a small number of entries for single marathons as well over that weekend this year. I might be wrong, but it'd be worth checking out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 pico84

Rotterdam is a great one to go for, really flat, very accessible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I'll jump on the band-wagon as I'm looking for something for the Easter weekend next year, the 100 Marathon Club events page pointed me to something for the East of Ireland marathon series but guess it's a bit early for it to show up there yet.

Anyone know if there will be one at some stage over that w/end (19/20 April)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

opus wrote: »
    I'll jump on the band-wagon as I'm looking for something for the Easter weekend next year, the 100 Marathon Club events page pointed me to something for the East of Ireland marathon series but guess it's a bit early for it to show up there yet.

Anyone know if there will be one at some stage over that w/end (19/20 April)?

You're way too early.
    Keep an eye on their facebook group, that's the best way to keep up to date. https://www.facebook.com/groups/130592073780072/

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

Thoroughly recommend Connemara in April.

272550.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I did the half in KIldare this year and loved it, and set a decent [for me!] PB - would strongly consider doing again, one of the best organised races I've done and in a good loction.

That said, I have unfinished business with the Conn Ultra myself having done a load of training for it last year and having to pull out relatively late. One of those things I want to do for myself, for no particular reason other than.....wanting to do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Paris Marathon takes place on April 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

pico84 wrote: »
    Rotterdam is a great one to go for, really flat, very accessible
    The registration for the 34th edition of the ABN AMRO Marathon Rotterdam is now open! We expect that the interest for our fast marathon will be enormous, therefore we suggest you to register as soon as possible. Then you are sure of your participation in this Golden Label Marathon and you have the benefit of the Early Bird- rate.

We would like to welcome you on Sunday April 13, 2014 at the start in Rotterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    The registration for the 34th edition of the ABN AMRO Marathon Rotterdam is now open! We expect that the interest for our fast marathon will be enormous, therefore we suggest you to register as soon as possible. Then you are sure of your participation in this Golden Label Marathon and you have the benefit of the Early Bird- rate.

We would like to welcome you on Sunday April 13, 2014 at the start in Rotterdam.

Third time lucky BeepBeep? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Since didn't make London am thinking Barcelona or Rotterdam or Paris.

Can get into Barcelona for free I believe but which would people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Trampas wrote: »

Me too. From what I'm reading elsewhere Barcelona seems to get the best reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

blockic wrote: »
    Third time lucky BeepBeep? ;)

Nah I'll wait until I'm only interested in jogging around and do just that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

ull be too scarred after donadea to attempt anudda mara:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

ultraman1 wrote: »
    ull be too scarred after donadea to attempt anudda mara:)

That's grand. Someone must have entered and paid for me already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

That's grand. Someone must have entered and paid for me already
    ur gonna be dissapointed on crimbo mornin now...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Foxychick

I was same as yourself, wanted to do DCM but due to injury and lack of training cant so signed up for Paris in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Are the results of the lottery for London out? I got no notification email telling me i did or didn't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Manchester is on the 6th of April. Supposed to be very flat and really well supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I'm gonna go for Manchester. Was thinking of doing Seville - but it's too much hassle getting there at that time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Did Paris a couple of years ago and cant speak highly enough about it, great race on a great course etc [would do before doing Berlin again tbh]

A huge gang from boards did Barcelona a few years back and seemed to have a great experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Manchester is on the 6th of April. Supposed to be very flat and really well supported.

I did both Barcelona and Manchester this year. Barcelona was good although it was a bit of a bad wet cold day for the Run.
    Manchester is good but there is a period in the "death zone" when you run out around country Field between 19-23miles.
    Both are well supported.

Manchester is flat, Barca has a couple of wee long drags but thats about it. Long drag the last 2km which I didn't Enjoy. No connemara hills mind you.

Enjoyed both and would recommend both, if you have the cash though go for Barca and enjoy the weekend. If your stuck for time, I flew in to Mac the night before, picked up my number on the morning of the race and was home that evening having done a good run with minimum fuss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I am doing Seville. Yeah its a pain to get there in February (no direct flights) but was recommended to me by a couple of people who know what's what in regard to events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

Tempted by the "romance" of Connamara to be honest. And yes I know its hilly!

Advertisement