Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon in Spring 14

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I'm booked on for Tralee full in March and Conn ultra in April.
    There was a "special" when registering for Tralee - book the full for €60 for March and get a place on the ultra in August for €40...I'm a sucker for a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Only a day after DCM, but I'm starting to lean towards Paris in April. Shouldn't be too hard to convince Mrs C to tack on a little run to a romantic weekend away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

cianc wrote: »
    Only a day after DCM, but I'm starting to lean towards Paris in April. Shouldn't be too hard to convince Mrs C to tack on a little run to a romantic weekend away :)

Really??? I tried that argument once, didn't get far. My arguments about post race rub downs weren't really believed. :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Trevster

I want to run either the Kildare or the Limerick Marathon next year. Has anyone here ran both and can tell me which is the 'easier' course in terms of a PB? I realise Limerick had some organistation issues but I just want to know about the course.

Thanks

Ye are tempting me with Paris and Rotterdam too! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Trevster wrote: »
    I want to run either the Kildare or the Limerick Marathon next year. Has anyone here ran both and can tell me which is the 'easier' course in terms of a PB? I realise Limerick had some organistation issues but I just want to know about the course.

Thanks

Ye are tempting me with Paris and Rotterdam too! ;-)
    Having paced both races (and raced Kildare), I'd suggest that Kildare is a quicker course, particularly if it is a windless day. The course has probably changed a little since I ran it, but if you compare the number of turns you need to make (Limerick, Kildare), then factor in the water/sports bottles handed out in Kildare, I'd be leaning towards Kildare as having the greater PB potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

I want to run either the Kildare or the Limerick Marathon next year. Has anyone here ran both and can tell me which is the 'easier' course in terms of a PB? I realise Limerick had some organistation issues but I just want to know about the course

I ran the half in Limerick this year which is run along vastly the same course as the full. In previous years, I was informed that Limerick is a flat-ish marathon and not too bad overall. However, last year was NOT flat. It was quite tough and hilly and I was quite surprised by this.

I never really looked into it, but I heard something that they changed the course this year due to road works etc which added in some hills...

I felt sorry the people running the full this year as it genuinely looked hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Having paced both races (and raced Kildare), I'd suggest that Kildare is a quicker course, particularly if it is a windless day. The course has probably changed a little since I ran it, .
    same course(s) as this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I ran the half in Limerick this year which is run along vastly the same course as the full. In previous years, I was informed that Limerick is a flat-ish marathon and not too bad overall. However, last year was NOT flat. It was quite tough and hilly and I was quite surprised by this.

I never really looked into it, but I heard something that they changed the course this year due to road works etc which added in some hills...

I felt sorry the people running the full this year as it genuinely looked hard

ran limerick and cant recall a single hill,,all marathons are hard...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

ultraman1 wrote: »
    ran limerick and cant recall a single hill,,all marathons are hard...

There was a bridge to negotiate around the 18 mile mark (near the Crescent Shopping Centre) but apart from that it was pretty benign I thought too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have paced both Kildare and Limerick last year and both are mostly flat. There was a sharp wind in Kildare which could hamper a fast time, but obviously I can't tell you what conditions will be like next year at either race.

There was one short sharp climb on each marathon, Kildare around the halfway mark and Limerick around mile 20 I think (the road up to Thomond Park), but overall both of them would qualify as flat and potentially fast in my book.

• Advertisement

I have paced both Kildare and Limerick last year and both are mostly flat. There was a sharp wind in Kildare which could hamper a fast time, but obviously I can't tell you what conditions will be like next year at either race.

There was one short sharp climb on each marathon, Kildare around the halfway mark and Limerick around mile 20 I think (the road up to Thomond Park), but overall both of them would qualify as flat and potentially fast in my book.

Cheers for that. I'm going to plan for Kildare, as I've ran the half there before, so this probably makes sense for my first Marathon. Aiming for under 3:10 so maybe you might be pacing! It's fu**k or dance time!

If the weather is looking ridiculous for it, at least Limerick might be a back up as it's the week after. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Cheers for that. I'm going to plan for Kildare, as I've ran the half there before, so this probably makes sense for my first Marathon. Aiming for under 3:10 so maybe you might be pacing! It's fu**k or dance time!

If the weather is looking ridiculous for it, at least Limerick might be a back up as it's the week after. Thanks.

Might be wise to give that particular pacing job a second thought Thomas!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Any opinions as to which irish spring marathon is best overall event? Did connemara this year and will do it or one of the others next year. I assume Limerick or Belfast are busier than Tralee or Kildare.

Cheers for that. I'm going to plan for Kildare, as I've ran the half there before, so this probably makes sense for my first Marathon. Aiming for under 3:10 so maybe you might be pacing! It's fu**k or dance time!.
    belcarra wrote: »
    Might be wise to give that particular pacing job a second thought Thomas!!:P

:D:D:D

I don't think they have 3:10 pacers in Kildare anyway, last couple of years it was every 15 minutes just like almost all other paced marathons, but maybe they will copy Dublin.

This year Anto didn't even invite me back for pacing, the bastard! :rolleyes:

conseng wrote: »
    Any opinions as to which irish spring marathon is best overall event? Did connemara this year and will do it or one of the others next year. I assume Limerick or Belfast are busier than Tralee or Kildare.

Connemara is the best in my books, but definitely the toughest course (which is why I like it so much, I guess). Depends what you're looking for and how you define best. Buzz? Fast? Organisation? Price?

I've done all the mentioned ones and would consider all of them again, expect Belfast probably. Cork is a good one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Limerick is certainly not a hilly course, few bumps here and there but broadly similar in difficulty to Dublin. First half is really flat, the second half less so but I wouldn't go so far as to say there were any real climbs apart from maybe the drag up to Thomand around 20 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Connemara is the best in my books, but definitely the toughest course (which is why I like it so much, I guess). Depends what you're looking for and how you define best. Buzz? Fast? Organisation? Price?

I've done all the mentioned ones and would consider all of them again, expect Belfast probably. Cork is a good one as well.

Can i ask why you would not consider Belfast again? I'm planning one for late April/May and its a toss up between that/Limerick or maybe going earlier and Paris/rotterdam.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

crisco10 wrote: »
    Hey,

As my dreams of DCM13 slowly run (with a limp) away from me due to injury, I was thinking of stepping back training a bit for October, using the training I currently have done as a good base and targetting a marathon in Spring 14. I had a look in race calander for 2013 but didn't see anything before May. Anything out there?

loads of marathons here....http://www.runireland.com/active/all-events

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Can i ask why you would not consider Belfast again? I'm planning one for late April/May and its a toss up between that/Limerick or maybe going earlier and Paris/rotterdam.

I can only go by my own experiences, so this is completely subjective. Your own views might be completely different.

I ran it in 2005, the organisation was questionable, I hated the course (going through deserted industrial areas and along a dual carriageway for almost all of the second half), I hated the relay runners coming past me after each station and the fact that I had a bad day (still my personal worst) just magnified everything that was wrong with it.

They have since changed the course, but from what I keep hearing year in year out the organisation still isn't there. There have been massive issues with the luggage, they have run out of water (or given dirty looking water to runners, allegedly) , the pacers are running all sorts of paces except the one they are supposed to be pacing, and so on.

I can only go by my own experiences, so this is completely subjective. Your own views might be completely different.

I ran it in 2005, the organisation was questionable, I hated the course (going through deserted industrial areas and along a dual carriageway for almost all of the second half), I hated the relay runners coming past me after each station and the fact that I had a bad day (still my personal worst) just magnified everything that was wrong with it.

They have since changed the course, but from what I keep hearing year in year out the organisation still isn't there. There have been massive issues with the luggage, they have run out of water (or given dirty looking water to runners, allegedly) , the pacers are running all sorts of paces except the one they are supposed to be pacing, and so on.

Thanks, had a few friends run it last year and they had no issues. As this is my 5th attempt at sub 4, the pacers will be crucial to me.

Thanks for your thoughts - perhaps ill splach the cash and head to Edinburgh/Paris or Rotterdam. Liverpool Rock n Roll is another option but not great reports from their US marathons although i had no issues with their Dublin half.

• Advertisement

:D:D:D

I don't think they have 3:10 pacers in Kildare anyway, last couple of years it was every 15 minutes just like almost all other paced marathons, but maybe they will copy Dublin.

This year Anto didn't even invite me back for pacing, the bastard! :rolleyes:

Yeah probably could have structured my earlier outburst slightly better :D

Cheers, 7.10 on the Garmin it is so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks, had a few friends run it last year and they had no issues. As this is my 5th attempt at sub 4, the pacers will be crucial to me.

Thanks for your thoughts - perhaps ill splach the cash and head to Edinburgh/Paris or Rotterdam. Liverpool Rock n Roll is another option but not great reports from their US marathons although i had no issues with their Dublin half.

I think Oisin11178 ran it a few years ago and he said the 4hr pacers were all over the shop. One ran 3;52 and the others about 3:55ish.
    They employ very fast guys up there as pacers and give them very a 'liberal' brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Set a half PB in Kildare last year, really enjoyed the race and the course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Thanks, I suppose I am just scoping out the overall experience of each. To date I have done DCM 2011 and Connemara this year. Very different and really enjoyed both. I think I would like something a bit less challenging than Connemara for my next one but am struggling to make up my mind. I enjoyed the buzz of Dublin for my first and the whole experience of Connemara is great and I definitely will be back there soon. I am not hugely influenced by the price as long as the organisation is decent which I found to be the case in Dublin and Connemara.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think Oisin11178 ran it a few years ago and he said the 4hr pacers were all over the shop. One ran 3;52 and the others about 3:55ish.
    They employ very fast guys up there as pacers and give them very a 'liberal' brief.

Anyone have any info on the quality of the Limerick Pacers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The limerick pacers are mostly off here so obviously they are excellent :D

Limerick, just like almost every marathon in the republic that uses pacers, use pretty much the same group as everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

As other's have said,i'd say limerick is on a par with Dublin.A few hill's,but nothing that would break you,once you have done the training.I like the fact that its less conjested than Dublin,and you spend less time and energy focusing on trying to avoid other runner's.Also,they usually hold,one hell of a after party in the lock bar afterwards,with fello runner's swaping stories of their earlier race day experience, and of course,gosling pint's.:D

Advertisement