Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from/to Carlow town

Options
  • 19-09-2013 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Anyway commuting from Carlow town to Rathcoole/Newlands cross/J9 of M50 general areas or visa versa on daily or regular basis for work

How long does journey time take on average both at peak and off peak times

Any places that are hold ups/bottle necks?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I went into the office on Monday last and from Ballon to Newlands cross took just under an hour, it is motorway 99% of the way and is generally free flowing in the morning on the way up until you hit just before green isle hotel @ 7:45-8 where is slows down due to backlog from newlands traffic lights.

On the way back you may get some slowdown from Kill to Newbridge but traffic tends to keep moving. Again from newlands to Ballon generally take ~90 minutes so to carlow town maybe 75-80?

I think the key thing with commute to Dublin is the time you need to be there at and where specifically you will be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Tailbacks tend to go as far back as Rathcoole lately which is about 45-50 mins from Carlow town. On the way home traffic between Naas and M9 junction can be slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 buttercupno5

It takes me about 30/35 mins to get to the ball at Naas from Carlow town (give yourself about ten mins to actually get onto the motorway)then I meet people I work with at Johnstown and we car pool into City Centre. On a bad day the traffic can start to slow down at the turn off for Citywest (Browns Barn). I would def give yourself the hour! Coming home can be a nightmare on Thurs or Fridays especially in the rain fecking people crashing on the M7 from anywhere between Rathcoole and the Naas Junction. Alas its not all bad theres always the summer hols :) no schools that should see you fly up in about 45mins especially on a crunchy Friday... happy commuting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Tailbacks tend to go as far back as Rathcoole lately which is about 45-50 mins from Carlow town. On the way home traffic between Naas and M9 junction can be slow.

Have to endure these growing tailbacks every Monday. Return trip on Friday is equally as frustrating.

Interesting to see what the impact of planned roadworks at Red Cow will be :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Interesting to see what the impact of planned roadworks at Red Cow will be :confused:

It will just move all the traffic down to the next bottle neck at Naas. It'll be quicker to go down through Blessington before long.

Not a traffic light to be seen between Newlands cross and Carlow yet everyday at Naas there's a hold up and especially on Fridays I'm beginning to doubt our ability to drive over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    It will just move all the traffic down to the next bottle neck at Naas. It'll be quicker to go down through Blessington before long.

Not a traffic light to be seen between Newlands cross and Carlow yet everyday at Naas there's a hold up and especially on Fridays I'm beginning to doubt our ability to drive over here.

Ugh, not liking the thoughts of that. Any idea when the disruption will kick in?

I lived in Naas for a while and worked out that if you take left of the N7 at Castlewarden or any other the other stops before Naas theres a parallel road to the N7 which can be useful to get around it.

Similarly northbound, I usually exit at Grangecastle to get over to N4 and onto M50.

Advertisement