Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store in Navan gets compliance notice for overcharging...

Options
  • 19-09-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I was reading through this thread in the ripoff section...

http://http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86615842#post86615842

and I spotted in the link to the NCA non compliance section on that thread...

http://corporate.nca.ie/eng/About/Enforcement/Compliance-Notices/Compliance-notices.html

that a navan store got compliance notices for overcharging more at the till then the price listed on the shelf.

It takes a few complaints to the NCA to act on a retailer so this must have gone on for some time.

I have noticed other instances of this happening to myself when in different shops in navan, particularly in one certain store (dont know if i am allowed to name the store in my post), but now instead of constantly pointing out price errors on things I buy there to the cashier, I think I will be banging off a quick email to the NCA listing the store name and the example I found.

It may come across as being a bit harsh, but the last time I was in there, one item I bought was shelf priced at 3.49 and when I went to the till it scanned as 7.49!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

It's not just Navan I can assure you. It can be fun in Trim too.

I didn't know the NCA had powers in this area (but then again, I don't know much about them tbh). Do they take peoples word or investiagte themselves? I presume they'd have to investigate.

It appears to happen often in supermarkets - i see on that Tesco have been named at a number of locations on their web site.

I probably wouldn't know myself though I know my wife regularly returns to the till with her receipt after paying for goods and being overcharged. The same shop time and time again - regularly enough for us to be ultra suspicious about when we buy anything there. Why do we keep going back? Small town and there aren't too many options to vote with our feet. Though Lidl are getting a significantly increased portion of our shopping (ie. it's not them that we have had the difficulty with) - unfortunately, they don't have everything that we want to buy though.

I think many of us just wouldn't notice - particularly if you have a number of goods being bought, or just think that you must have miscalculateed as you went around the shop.

While i'm on a bit of a rant, the other thing that drives herself that does the majority of the shopping in the household absolutely mad, is the placement of products where 'offers' are concerned - same shop as above (not Lidl) - a variant of the same product put next to the ones on offer without clear distinction / deliniation of what is and what isn't on offer.

So you end up picking up something that you think you've gotten a decent deal on only to find out at the cashier it was only on product a and b but not c that you've picked up from the same location. And that's only if you cop it being scanned through at a higher price. The product may only have been a slight variant - different flavour of product or the like.

In fairness there may be nothing illegal about this -- you just have to study - and I mean study long and hard, the labels where you are shopping. If you were a suspicious individual you might suspect that there was purpose to this form of product placement.

I think retailing in larger chains/multiples is more of a science than an art.

Caveat emptor I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Regularly have this overcharging issue with a store near me, one with real food, and real people. 3 weeks in a row I had to go back to the same shop with my receipt and a copy of the current offers. Had a big barney with one of the managers there over the placement of the wrong sized dishwasher tablets boxes over a special offer on a smaller box.

Check my receipts every time now, and I ask the check out attendant to do a price-check for me on anything that should be on special, but has no price displayed....

Advertisement