Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typhoon Usagi

Options
  • 19-09-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭

According to the current predictions on Weather Underground, Usagi is forecast to hit Hong Kong and surrounding Guangdong as a Category 3 typhoon. This is slightly down from the previous Cat. 4 prediction, but it's still potentially serious, particularly because of the flooding and landslide potential. A South China Morning Post article also points out risks to the south of Taiwan and the north of Luzon.

Tracking Map (which should update):
    wp201317.gif

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Impressive system. Wind gusts to 170 kts (nearly 200 mph) according to the latest JTWC advisory.

272611.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Visible wavelength image at 0900Z.

272658.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Visible image - click for even bigger version
    BUoAHoGCYAAJwO9.jpg

It is beautiful, isn't it ..! :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

These kind of storm systems always look so perfectly formed. They belie the power they contain, and their potential for destruction. And yes, I agree with bnt, they also look beautiful. Mind you wouldn't like to be below this baby... hopefully early warnings will keep people safe and sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

It had went under SUPER - Rapid intensification! , definitely haven't heard of one doing that before!

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-sees-super-rapid-intensification-of-supertyphoon-usagi/

1239506_595676627145801_1645786164_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

That's a super graphic Ian!

Typhoon Usagi showing up nicely on this Animated Taiwan Radar Loop (takes a few secs to load)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I Superimposed a radar shot of Usagi over us , and yeah.... ITs a big one i tell ya ! :eek:

272737.jpg

1229959_10151768891939597_1971424547_n.png

"Super Typhoon USAGI is passing through the Luzon Strait at this very moment with winds of 130 knots (150 mph)-- a strong Cat 4 on our scale. As you can see on radar, that intense inner eyewall is passing near or over Bascan Island, which just reported winds of 97 knots (112 mph) and a whopping-low pressure of 912 mb (26.93 in)! " Wow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I'm in Tainan, Southern Taiwan on holidays at the moment and nothing of note to report here yet. Wind picking up a little with no rain. Temp currently 28c under cloudy skies. Track brings the Typhoon in a slight NW direction so it should get closer. Interesting day ahead i would say.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm in Tainan, Southern Taiwan on holidays at the moment and nothing of note to report here yet. Wind picking up a little with no rain. Temp currently 28c under cloudy skies. Track brings the Typhoon in a slight NW direction so it should get closer. Interesting day ahead i would say.

Hope you're safe in the coming hours. Please do take pictures regardless :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A massive none event here in Tainan, Southern Taiwan with more or less calm conditions most of the day and heavy rain just starting a few hours ago. The East of the island got hit worst with the huge mountain range running down the spine of the island keeping the Western half somewhat sheltered.

Edit: Just adding a chart of rainfall distribution across Taiwan. The Max i believe is 538.5mm in less than 24hrs.

272789.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The latest report from the South China Morning Post suggests Usagi will make landfall about 100km NW of Hong Kong.

edit: Usagi rolls past Hong Kong, on RADAR:

Usagi_21-22Sep13_china.gifUsagi_21-22Sep13_hongkong.gif

Advertisement