Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 3 week old in Special Baby Unit.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

Hi guys,
    Just another update on Darragh. He got his peg surgery last Monday. He spent 4 days in recovery and came home on Friday. On Saturday Morning my partner was changing his dressing and noticed the skin wasn't healing around the wound. We brought him to Mullingar maternity hospital because it was the closest to us. The surgeon said that is quite normal and that it will heal in a few days. Yesterday morning again my partner was changing the dressing and we noticed the hole was actually bigger that the peg and any thing we were giving him threw the peg was flowing back out the hole. I said **** this and brought him straight back to Crumlin where the surgery was done.
    At the moment they think the inside of the peg has gone missing and they think it could have lodged in his bowel. They are doing an x ray on him at the minute and if this is the case he is going straight in for open surgery.

To be honest guys, I really don't know how much more of this Darragh can take. He is nearly 5 months old and is only 8lb weight. He is just not strong enough for all this. I really hate myself for thinking like that but this is a huge step backwards for my boy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My heart goes out to you and your family Egan.. Poor little Darragh, I can only imagine the pain it's causing for you all :(

I hope things improve soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Egan2012 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Just another update on Darragh. He got his peg surgery last Monday. He spent 4 days in recovery and came home on Friday. On Saturday Morning my partner was changing his dressing and noticed the skin wasn't healing around the wound. We brought him to Mullingar maternity hospital because it was the closest to us. The surgeon said that is quite normal and that it will heal in a few days. Yesterday morning again my partner was changing the dressing and we noticed the hole was actually bigger that the peg and any thing we were giving him threw the peg was flowing back out the hole. I said **** this and brought him straight back to Crumlin where the surgery was done.
    At the moment they think the inside of the peg has gone missing and they think it could have lodged in his bowel. They are doing an x ray on him at the minute and if this is the case he is going straight in for open surgery.

To be honest guys, I really don't know how much more of this Darragh can take. He is nearly 5 months old and is only 8lb weight. He is just not strong enough for all this. I really hate myself for thinking like that but this is a huge step backwards for my boy.

Oh god you poor things. Are you and your wife ok? I am in Dublin and if there is anything you guys need just ask. There are enough of us on boards in Dublin who could bring food, clothes, company etc

We are thinking of you guys x

That is such a nice thing to offer. I think we are pretty much on top of everything. We just need to get this man better. I can't see what else could go wrong. He has fought off everything that has been thrown at him. I don't see what else could be thrown at him to be honest.
    The supportive messages on Boards have been unbelivable and it is nice to sit down for a few minutes in the day and go through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I hope with all my heart your little boy improves soon. I can't imagine how difficult it is for you and his mam. As already said, anything we can do, please just ask. I know you don't know us but don't be afraid to ask. Keep your head up and stay positive..that's the best thing you can do for you little boy right now.

• Advertisement

You have a very determined little boy who just loves his family so much he is fighting for them.

Keep posting if you need to, we are all here to listen and give any comfort humanly possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Thinking of you and your little boy. He seems to be a fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

I am here at work today moaning about January and how hard business is etc. etc. I came across this thread for the first time and I feel awful for the moaning I was doing when people have much more serious problems.

I am SO sorry to hear how much ye have been through and can only hope that things improve for ye soon. I really do hope there will be a happy outcome for ye - sounds like ye really deserve it.

Guys I just have to say that all these messages mean a lot to me and my family , and it is raising awarness for Darraghs condition. There is not much awarness out there for this syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

My heart goes out to ye all. Poor wee darragh. Just to second what bp said... Just post if there's anything ye need.

• Advertisement

Guys I have another update for you on Darragh. He is after been booked in for emergancy surgery tonight. They have found a hole in his bowel. It dosn't rain but it pours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Just to say I'm thinking of all of you. Your little fella is a fighter. I'm not that far from Crumlin so as others have said let me know if you need anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

The poor wee man. Fingers crossed he'l be on the road to recovery soon. Thinking of you all ...

Guys I have another update for you on Darragh. He is after been booked in for emergancy surgery tonight. They have found a hole in his bowel. It dosn't rain but it pours

Poor boy :-( we will all be sending positive thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Heartbreaking to read all little Darragh's struggles in his short life. My thoughts are with your little fighter & also your family, may he continue to fight as hard & bravely as he has up until now x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Thinking of you all please God Darragh will be ok.
    Stay strong everyone on here is wishing your family well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

That's so sad, certainly puts the silly moans and groans of my mundane life into perspective. My thoughts are with you.

Darragh is out of surgery thank god. They didn't have to remove any of his bowel. It's just another hectic day in the life of Darragh Egan lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Darragh is out of surgery thank god. They didn't have to remove any of his bowel. It's just another hectic day in the life of Darragh Egan lol

Delighted to hear that! I hope this time he makes a full recovery. He just needs the chance to be allowed to grow and thrive.... I hope this time he gets it. Hope you and your partner get some rest tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Great news. He's a little fighter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Hopefully he'll fly it now. Bless him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The poor little pet:(
    He definitely sounds like he is a fighter.
    I am near Dublin too and have loads of baby stuff etc so if you need anything please ask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

He is a great little boy and you are a great dad. You will get through this. Will be thinking of you all x

That post made my morning - I am so glad he got through it and didn't need to lose any of his bowel

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Chara1001

Oh poor little Darragh,
    He's a fighter op, and you're doing a wonderful job,
    I'm thinking of you and wishing you all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I can't begin to imagine the heartache and stress you and your family have suffered the past five months. I hope little Darragh makes a speedy recovery. You sound like wonderful parents. Wishing you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I've just read this thread from start to finish, and I am hanging my head that I ever dared feel hard done by at my lads very normal newborn behaviour. I don't know how you are coping, fair play to you both. Wishing Darragh a speedy recovery x

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Glad to hear that Egan :) great news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Just found this thread and wanted to say that little Darragh is clearly a fighter, in his short life he has had so much to overcome but nothing seems to stop him! It sounds like it has been a crazy few months for your family. I really hope things turn out okay for everyone :)

• Advertisement

Hi guys,
    Another update on Darragh for you. Looks like he is in for another leanghtly stay in Crumlin. Back in earlier posts at the start of this tread I said that he couldn't keep his food down. Now they think his stomach wasn't the problem at all. They think it could have been because of the hole in his bowel. They said that the hole could have been getting blocked and that was the reason for this. At he moment he is still very weak. I don't know how much more surgery he can take to be honest. I just hope he keeps his spirits up and keep on fighting. He is just so fagile at the moment I don't know how he is still going.

Advertisement