Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry cleaner ruined my jacket

Options
  • 19-09-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

I left a black jacket into a dry cleaner to collect it today to see the jacket is destroyed. Its faded badly and no longer attractive to wear. The man in the cleaner said it might fade a little bit but its faded beyond wearable now.
    What are my rights here? Is it tough luck or are dry cleaners insured for this kinda thing?

He mentioned the 'P' label on the jacket which is for the chemical used for dry cleaning and pointed out to me to bring the jacket back to where I bought it from and tell them after dry cleaning it the jacket is now unwearable. I don't have the receipt anymore to prove where I bought it so what do I do? I loved this jacket :-(

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It seems like you accepted that it could fade and if they used the right chemical. I can only find info for UK but it says take it back to the shop if the dry cleaners did the correct job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

It seems like you accepted that it could fade and if they used the right chemical. I can only find info for UK but it says take it back to the shop if the dry cleaners did the correct job.

Unfortunately I can't find the receipt to go back to the shop it with. It was a very nice Diesel jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

'Diesel' is a good quality brand. I'm in the business and I can't recall ever having an issue with their garments. It strikes me as funny how he knew it might fade a little prior to cleaning it. Garments don't really fade in dry cleaning. I have a technique whereby I use suede oil to replace colour loss on worn silk garments which might help with your jacket. You might not find anyone as good as me in Dublin though :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Diesel as in the Italian brand or Diesel as in the Monaghan-based knockoff who hold the rights to the Diesel name here?

Italian Diesel are only available in Brown Thomas and Arnotts from memory. Any Diesel branded shop is owned by a firm called Montex - http://www.patentsoffice.ie/PDF%20Documents/147773-diesel.PDF . Their products are not of particularly high quality from experience of having serious colour run issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

MYOB wrote: »
    Diesel as in the Italian brand or Diesel as in the Monaghan-based knockoff who hold the rights to the Diesel name here?

Italian Diesel are only available in Brown Thomas and Arnotts from memory. Any Diesel branded shop is owned by a firm called Montex - http://www.patentsoffice.ie/PDF%20Documents/147773-diesel.PDF . Their products are not of particularly high quality from experience of having serious colour run issues.

Colour run happens all the time in dry cleaning but if handled properly will have absolutely no affect on the overall colour of the garment. But if the garment is washed............ well, that's different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement