Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Marys renomvations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

road_high wrote: »
    Long as not a penny of taxpayers money goes towrds a private church then i don't see a problem.
    It's also a tourist attraction in KK. See they have even opened a tea room now which is a good idea.
    So if it's a tourist attraction (is it? ... it's a fairly mehhhhh building tbh, especially placed against Canice's) surely that's an argument for state subvention?

#catamongthepigeons :D
    femur61 wrote: »
    We are discussing the €12 million to do up the church when places like Crumlin children hospital , people are homeless on the streets, how many suicides have there been this week in Kilkenny not Ireland just Kilkenny. I think there are more worthy services that €12 million could be spent, I am not saying not to do it up but it is fairly expensive to sit in an few hours over your life.
    catbear wrote: »
    That's the responsibility of the RCC and its supporters, not secular society. If the RCC wanted to transfer ownership of the building to the state and then rent it from the state with conditions for general access then that would be somewhat productive.
    Seriously, can I ask where the idea that the state or the taxpayer were paying €12 million to renovate St. Mary's Cathedral came from? :confused:

I'm not familiar with the St. Mary's Cathedral project, but some knowledge of such projects in the past would suggest it's very unlikely ... some small few bob under the heading of "preservation of historic building" possibly, and I honestly doubt that Mary's would qualify for much, and the bulk left to the parish and diocese and fundraising ... as has always been the case. And as should be the case.

Or is the confusion between the two different St. Mary's still ongoing in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I wouldn't worry, it's their age you know, something to do with confusius.
    Foxy

Advertisement