Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternator or Electrics?

• 19-09-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have ~12V battery in my bike and I took the bike out for a ~15mile rounds spin last week. Then when I went to start it 7 days later the battery didn't have enough juice to turn the starter over. It was close but just not enough. I hooked it up to my battery charger and there's 6-9V left in it.

The question is what's causing the battery to drain so fast? I have an alarm on the bike alright and it's kept outside but 7 days seems like a very short time for the electrics to drain 3 - 6 volts. Could it be that my alternator isn't charging the battery?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

battery is knackered and cant hold a charge, imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If that battery is only showing near 6v then it's Donald Ducked. Replace it, and put a multimeter across the terminals while the bike is running to verify that at least the charging voltage is correct. It should show in the region of 14.6v as you blip the throttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

I was told a very easy way to check your regulator by lookbehindyou off this forum

1: Start your bike up and turn on full beam lights
    2: Rev up the motorbike, if the light gets brighter the regulator is ok, if it gets dimmer as you are revving the bike the regulator is not working properly as the battery is not being charged

Handy way to find out if that is causing your problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Wossack wrote: »
    battery is knackered and cant hold a charge, imo
    Definietely not this as it's a brand new battery that charges fine on an external charger.

Thanks for the other advice. I'll check the regulator later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Definietely not this as it's a brand new battery that charges fine on an external charger.

Thanks for the other advice. I'll check the regulator later.
    Charge the battery fully, fit it and see what it reads under load. (while starting)
    New batteries have been known to fail.
    Don't rule the battery out until you know its good and holds a charge for a decent time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement