Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broken external hard drive

Options
  • 19-09-2013 1:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi I let my WD external hard drive fall the other day and the port where the small USB goes snapped off... I can hear it rattling inside it. Ive heard that you can buy a new casing for hard drives.... Would it work if I cracked open the case and took the hard drive out? Can anybody recommend any casing or any other suggestions would be great thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi I let my WD external hard drive fall the other day and the port where the small USB goes snapped off... I can hear it rattling inside it. Ive heard that you can buy a new casing for hard drives.... Would it work if I cracked open the case and took the hard drive out? Can anybody recommend any casing or any other suggestions would be great thanks

Some western digital drives have the USB port soldered to the board, so if this is the case you can't just buy a SATA enclosure for it. Best crack open the hard drive enclosure and have a look and see before buying any enclosures

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

Thanks Nick. If its separate will there be any problems buying a new case and what should I be looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF its sata 3.5 buy a 3,.5 inch sata enclosure caddy with a power supply ,cost 30 euro approx in bricks mortar shop, eg maplins,pcworld,

usb caddy will not supply emough power for 3.5inch drive.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/probox-3.5-inch-sata-usb-3.0-enclosure-506614

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Or buy one from ebay. Much cheaper than ripoff Maplin or PCWorld.

Advertisement