Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Trees

• 19-09-2013 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Have some good quality land which is not doing much and is not in REPS or other grant scheme. I am looking at establishing christmas tree plantation of 1000 trees per year; Noble Fir(@1000/acre) for 5/7-Years until crop is ready.

I understand there is a good deal of work in establishing the plantation, weed/pest control and shaping/pruning the trees but the profits look fine - being tax free makes it attractive.

I've canvassed some retaillers locally and been told that they are paying €25/stem and having to travel 4-hrs to Wicklow to get them. I accept that security will be an issue coming up to christmas time. And selling direct an option too.

What I'd like is feedback from people who can advise of unseen negatives. The merits of high quality saplings and where to get them and anything else to look at before commitment.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

Advertisement