Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad took plastic cover off box

Options
  • 19-09-2013 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi all
    My Dad bought an iPad in Argos yesterday. He got the wifi/3g one instead of wifi one.He had it opened but not used.

Argos said they wont take it back for an exchange as the plastic wrapper is off it??
    Is this correct ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

depends on whats wrong with it? Or did you just decide you didnt want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

As the poster said, they didn't want the wifi/3g one and wanted the wifi one instead, however bought the wifi/3g one in error.

Argos operate a "30 day money back guarantee" on certain products, specifically items which hold any kind of internal memory (I.E. Mp3 players, hard drives, cameras, ipads, ipods etc.) are exempt from this guarantee as directed from their suppliers. It states this on your receipt, it states it in the catalogue, on their website and anywhere else you would have seen this product, the cashier may have even told your Dad this when purchasing it (Even though they are not legally required to do so as it states it in the catalogue/online).

Therefore you are not entitled to change this product once you have purchased it due to the fact you bought it in error / changed your mind.

The only warrenty that exists on this product is a manufacturing warrenty which covers it for one year in case of any manufacturing faults with the item, however this does not apply as there is nothing wrong with your item.

It is also important to note that no retailer is legally required to have a "bought in error / changed your mind" policy in place and is under no obligation to take any goods back for this reason, however some retailers (including Argos) do operate this guarantee for the good of the customers, however unfortunatly it does not apply to this product.

Unfortunatly due to your fathers error, you cannot return this product for this reason.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP, Argos don't have to legally do anything here as its your mistake....well your dad's mistake.

You are at the mercy of their return policy which is -
    http://www.argos.ie/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm
    Why not take advantage of our great 30-day money-back guarantee?ˆ
    To get your money back, simply return your unwanted item(s) to any store. The item(s) must be unused, in the original packaging and in a saleable condition. Bring your receipt with you* and we'll give you a refund.

However, it goes on to clearly state:
    Important information
    ˆIf a product is excluded from our 30-day money-back guarantee, it is clearly marked with a †
    Our 30-day money-back guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.

*If you don't have your receipt, as long as you have proof of purchase, we'll exchange the item or give you a refund with vouchers.
    + If you had your item delivered your order number counts as your receipt/proof of purchase
    We're sorry but some items like earrings, foot spas and dental products can't be exchanged or refunded for hygiene and safety reasons, unless they're faulty.
    To protect your personal security, we're also unable to accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products such as MP3 players and digital cameras.
    Please note all video games consoles are excluded from the Argos 30 day money back guarantee. Please ensure you read the specification on the box before installation. We also cannot accept returns for video gaming software under our 30 day money back guarantee if the plastic wrapping has been unsealed – this does not affect your statutory rights.

The item you've mentioned is excluded as it is marked with a †,

So your options are to keep it or sell it to somebody else,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

It's an Apple product; it'll sell on adverts for stupidly near it's new price.

I take it the issue is you've over paid in comparison to the wifi only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What product is listed on the receipt?

If the receipt lists the 3G/WiFi model, then that's what he ordered and it's what he received. In this case, it's his own fault unfortunately, and Argos do not have to take it back.

If the receipt lists the WiFi model, and he received the 3G/WiFi model, then the issue is with Argos and they should provide the correct model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

My Dad bought an iPad in Argos yesterday. He got the wifi/3g one instead of wifi one.He had it opened but not used.

Is the WiFi/3G model not more expensive than the Wifi only model...?
    What did he pay for it? If he only paid the price of the WiFi only model he's got a bargain. He doesn't have to use the 3G feature if he doesn't want to....

Obviously since Argos refused the replacment it wasn't their mistake by giving a more expensive model, read the OP lads

Eh...?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

YourName wrote: »
    Onviously since Argos refused the replacment it wasn't their mistake eoth giving a more expensive model, read the OP lads

what replacement?
    They refused an exchange,

A replacement would suggest the op wanted the item replaced with the same thing. They didn't, they wanted it exchanged with another item.

Eh...?

My last post was in response to you, obviously I wasn't clear enough.

You were asking the OP did Argos mistakenly give the customer the more expensive model for the price of the cheaper model.

My point was, that it states in the original post that Argos had refused to take the item back, therefore it is obvious that they couldn't have given the customer the wrong item as Argos would have noticed it at this point and held onto the item.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    what replacement?
    They refused an exchange,

A replacement would suggest the op wanted the item replaced with the same thing. They didn't, they wanted it exchanged with another item.

Cabaal, you have also missed my point completly, on re-reading my post it isn't very clear.

Regardless of weather the OP wanted an Exchange, Replacment, Refund, Repair or anything else, they are entitled to none of this as I have explained at the top of this thread so I don't undersrand what point you are trying to make by distinguishing what the OP wanted????

My point was, that it states in the original post that Argos had refused to take the item back, therefore it is obvious that they couldn't have given the customer the wrong item as Argos would have noticed it at this point and held onto the item.

It's not at all obvious, maybe they took one look at it and declared they couldn't take it back as "the plastic was off" without realising that it was the more expensive model which had been inadvertently given to them in the first place.

If he'd been given the wrong model in error but charged the correct price he should have noticed it at the time as he would have been charged €100 more than he was expecting, if he'd been given the wrong model in error at the cheaper price I'd call it a result...!

Advertisement