Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Child Pageant in Balbriggan this weekend ..

Options
  • 19-09-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm usually a really liberal person but something about these events doesn't sit well with me at all.
    Disappointed to see them taking place in Ireland and I feel sorry for the kids who are being made to look adult before their time.
    Maybe just my observation but having watched some of the shows from the USA it usually seems to me that the mums are living their dreams through the children. Often felt there was hostility there too when the kid wasn't getting some routine right or was just plain tired.
    Any thoughts anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

Should be banned just like they did in France while it is still in its infancy here in Ireland (pardon the pun)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

I'm usually a really liberal person but something about these events doesn't sit well with me at all.
    Disappointed to see them taking place in Ireland and I feel sorry for the kids who are being made to look adult before their time.
    Maybe just my observation but having watched some of the shows from the USA it usually seems to me that the mums are living their dreams through the children. Often felt there was hostility there too when the kid wasn't getting some routine right or was just plain tired.
    Any thoughts anyone ?

We already have them here, do under a different name.

96.jpg

Or does the wig and fake tan really make a difference to the dancing skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

We already have them here, do under a different name.

96.jpg

Or does the wig and fake tan really make a difference to the dancing skills?

That picture is awful - that rubbish must put people off letting their Children do Irish dancing. There are competitions where the costumes aren't a factor - a different school of dancing.

As regards the Child Pageants they are awful and I can't understand people putting their children into them. Hopefully they won't catch on here. In fairness in Ireland they probably won't be as bad as the worst excesses you hear about in USA.
    In the meantime if this is going ahead it might as well make a few quid for our local Hotel and town. I'm just relieved this is a "visiting" event and not one dreamed up by locals.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wow sierra wrote: »

As regards the Child Pageants they are awful and I can't understand people putting their children into them. Hopefully they won't catch on here. In fairness in Ireland they probably won't be as bad as the worst excesses you hear about in USA.

I suspect they will be just as bad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's sad to see Irish dancing costumes becoming so tacky. The older ones were so special and really meant something. It really does look like a pageant.
    As for the pageant this weekend, sadly I think they'll have no shortage of entrants. They should definitely be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Just read that this event has been cancelled by the hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

The Bracken Court has today cancelled a booking made by the Universal Royalty Competition. The event is not keeping with the Hotel ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

eh i dunno wrote: »
    The event is not keeping with the Hotel ethos.

real meaning: the hotel has had such negative publicity that theyve cancelled to save whats left of their good name

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

[QUOTE The event is not keeping with the Hotel ethos.[/QUOTE]

Lol the same hotel that had male strippers on mothers day:rolleyes:

Some ethos
    It just didn't take the money cos theyre going to be on the late late tonight and theres hassle over them

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

Ethos?? Have a look at some of the scum that drink in this fine establishment on any given weekend....you don't have to go in,just walk by and check out the smokers congregating outside,not a great advertisement for such an establishment!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

greatgoal wrote: »
    Ethos?? Have a look at some of the scum that drink in this fine establishment on any given weekend....you don't have to go in,just walk by and check out the smokers congregating outside,not a great advertisement for such an establishment!!

Eh I don't go out in the town all that much I have to admit but I thought the hotel was an alright spot to go for some food/drink? I've never really noticed anyone unsavory hanging around. Have I missed something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

The Hotel get a very mixed clientele. Yeah you will see people who are a bit out of it at times.

But to label people as "scum" is totally unacceptable. Most of the time the Hotel is fine. You get a lot of meetings and functions there and people having a drink in the bar before or after. The Bar does a great food trade - again with a very respectable and mixed clientele.

We are very lucky to have the Bracken Court and I wish people didn't feel the need to insult everything Balbriggan. Maybe Greatgoal would like to go in himself/herself and raise the tone:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I always thought that it attracted a more 'salt of the earth' crowd who migrated over following the demise of John D's and De Bruins but back OT I have to say I was amazed to hear them turn down any potential trade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Even if that was true I'd rather sit beside one of the "scum" having a pint then be in the same room as a parent who thinks it's ok to put they're child in a pageant. Have had friends stay in the Bracken court regularly they love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@greatgoal - Generalisations such as referring to people who drink there as 'scum' is not acceptable. Please refrain from making such comments again.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BalbrigganGirl

Well said - sick of Balbriggan being put down all the time.
    What exactly from seeing someone smoking outside a hotel makes them " scum "
    I like the Bracken Court - never had any issues there - food is nice and the bar was always quiet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

there has been a hotel at that spot for a long long time. The bracken court was a godsend to the town in some respects and we are lucky it has survived the recession that killed off some of the other night spots around. only blemish will be the old (badly managed and run) movitas nightclub (fight club) they used to have there. thankfully it wasnt long lived. The hotel since has improved greatly and is well liked and used by many local community groups and businesses.

Advertisement