Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunch

Options
  • 19-09-2013 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

Can anyone recommend some good places in town to get a nice lunch..? Looks like I've long days, ( 9 to 5) so would love to have something filling at lunch! Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Mongolian BBQ - Big stir fry + rice for €5

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

Is Avoca any good..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Is Avoca any good..?

Good but a bit expensive.

KC Peaches is 3.80 with student discount for a small takeaway box of salad, a bit more for hot food. It's closer than Avoca.

Tolteca do decent burritos/fajitas for 6.50 with a drink, chips and salsa with a discount card. GBK is 6ish euro, Bobos is 7 euro for burger and chips if you say you're a Twitter/Facebook fan. Crackbird, Jo Burger and Skinflint do 2 for 1's with the Ents card.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

Thanks! Can you think of anywhere that makes nice sandwiches or something..?

Thanks! Can you think of anywhere that makes nice sandwiches or something..?

KC Peaches, Walter Mitty and Lemon do nice sandwiches (definitely not "student budget friendly" though), the Pav also do paninis and salad/chips.

Cheaper alternatives within walking distance are Tesco, Londis, Centra, Spar, Dunnes, Maguires, O'Donovans and the JCR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 shopgirl195

Yum Thai box €5 euro with student card - will fill you up for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

This is a common thread topic here - try searching for it.

All the burrito places do student discounts. The Runner Bean n Nassau St also does excellent sandwiches if you can get past the owner's unpleasant manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Amy teehee

how expensive are all the campus places for **** like chicken and chips and all? specifically the hamilton cafeteria one, that looks nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Amy teehee wrote: »
    how expensive are all the campus places for **** like chicken and chips and all? specifically the hamilton cafeteria one, that looks nice?

I remember it being roughly 5 quid for a plate of chips, 2 sausages and some beans in the Hamilton cafe. Just get yourself a plate of curry cheesy chips from the Pav, terribly unhealthy but so worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 guineylab

what food does the pav serve for lunch??

• Advertisement

guineylab wrote: »
    what food does the pav serve for lunch??

Normally chips and a selection of either chicken breast, chicken curry, or fish...nothing too special really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned chicken fillet rolls for 2 euro in Centra on Dame Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Walter Mitty arguably does the worst coffee in Dublin.

Three I'd recommend:

Cup (South Leinster street), Carluccio's (Dawson street) and the Pig & Heifir (Pearse street).

None of the above would be really student friendly price wise. Spar is pretty good value in fairness.

Oh if you bring in your own mug into any one of the cafe's in college its just 90c for tea or coffee (the caffeinated ash water. It does the job).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 guineylab

Normally chips and a selection of either chicken breast, chicken curry, or fish...nothing too special really.

okay so same as the buttery i guess?

The Buttery has a much bigger selection, the Pav doesn't really have much tbh. Its pretty much just food you'd have with a few cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

The Pav is not part of the college catering department so you will find them serving different stuff to the Dining Hall/Buttery/Hamilton.

I used to bring a packed lunch and eat it with my friends in the Buttery until the staff there started kicking me out for eating something they weren't serving... It's actually very annoying trying to find somewhere to sit down (inside) and eat something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I used to bring a packed lunch and eat it with my friends in the Buttery until the staff there started kicking me out for eating something they weren't serving... It's actually very annoying trying to find somewhere to sit down (inside) and eat something...
    You can bring your own, home made lunch into the JCR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

The dining hall does a serious student special each day and a big dessert for 6 quid, not sure why everyone doesn't go there.

Burritos n Blues was a favourite of mine, 6 euro burrito and can. Subway on Grafton St, Mongolian BBQ another fav.

The Atrium is open for this purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Science gallery cafe do unreal lunches.
    Pizza is 8 quid but are amazing. If you join as a student (9 euro for the year, first coffee free, 10% off cafe purchases, entry to the new exhibitions on launch night so theres free beer as well) it makes it even cheaper.
    For food on campus, the science gallery is the place to go.:cool:
    Pig and Heifer is really good for sandwiches. expensive but well worth it.
    The real bargain I find is Cafe Sols house soup on lincoln place, 3.10 for a large soup and a bread roll. The soup is really tasty as well (none of the packet ****e).

For coffee theres two places that are worth speaking of, coffee angel and 3Fe.
    yes they're both expensive but are leaps and bounds ahead of their competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Scortho wrote: »
    Science gallery cafe do unreal lunches.
    Pizza is 8 quid but are amazing. If you join as a student (9 euro for the year, first coffee free, 10% off cafe purchases, entry to the new exhibitions on launch night so theres free beer as well) it makes it even cheaper.
    For food on campus, the science gallery is the place to go.:cool:
    Pig and Heifer is really good for sandwiches. expensive but well worth it.
    The real bargain I find is Cafe Sols house soup on lincoln place, 3.10 for a large soup and a bread roll. The soup is really tasty as well (none of the packet ****e).

For coffee theres two places that are worth speaking of, coffee angel and 3Fe.
    yes they're both expensive but are leaps and bounds ahead of their competitors.

There are a half dozen other places which do the same coffee as 3fe, for much cheaper prices. Eg. Kaph, Cup, Yogism. Kaph is probably the cheapest, and the barista there (it's always been the same guy for me) is excellent.

There are a half dozen other places which do the same coffee as 3fe, for much cheaper prices. Eg. Kaph, Cup, Yogism. Kaph is probably the cheapest, and the barista there (it's always been the same guy for me) is excellent.

I haven't tried kaph or yogism (being in the Hamilton means it's too far a trek with full days of lectures).
    I did however try cup and the coffee was burnt. In fact I tried it twice and got the same result the second time round.
    It might be slightly more expensive, but I'd rather spend that bit more to get a persistently good coffee every time.
    I used to go over to the old 3fe on abbey st. (Vice) but serving me an extremely bitter aero press coffee put me off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

No mentions for O'Donovans yet? Small sandwich/panini shop across the road from the JCR. Everything's €3.50-3.80. I like the place.

TheAmateur wrote: »
    No mentions for O'Donovans yet? Small sandwich/panini shop across the road from the JCR. Everything's €3.50-3.80. I like the place.

Mentioned it already :)

The chicken tijuana panini is everything good in one lunchtime food item.

bscm wrote: »
    Mentioned it already :)

The chicken tijuana panini is everything good in one lunchtime food item.

Chicken Tijuana is great. Has to be a panini though the bread roll isn't half as nice.

Scortho wrote: »
    Chicken Tijuana is great. Has to be a panini though the bread roll isn't half as nice.

It also melts the cheese and is a great handwarmer during winter.

bscm wrote: »
    It also melts the cheese and is a great handwarmer during winter.

Favourite lunch is a science gallery pizza for 8 euro.
    Really filling and if you bring a girl and share half you get the bigger half!:D

The Science Gallery student deal was a lot better when they still toasted the sandwiches. Now they give you a regular ham, cheese and tomato sandwich, which they clearly remove directly from the industrial fridge as the order comes in, given the off-putting cold temperature of the bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Fringe wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned chicken fillet rolls for 2 euro in Centra on Dame Street.

Found this out when ENGSOC gave every new member a voucher for a free one. :)

Great value, but not something to eat every day

Advertisement