Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Treacy Dungarvan 10 2014

Options
  • 19-09-2013 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

A thumbs up-entries for the January 26th 2014 John Treacy Dungarvan 10 mile road race will open a month earlier this year .the online and postal entries will open on Tuesday October 1st.last year the race filled really quickly and many were disappointed.:)

www.dungarvan10mile.org

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

scout33 wrote: »
    t.last year the race filled really quickly and many were disappointed.:)

www.dungarvan10mile.org

I don't get this kind of message from race organisers/ websites etc.
    It seems like the race organisers are suggesting that the people who actually went to the trouble of registering early effectively take the place of a disappointed/ disgruntled punter?
    Equally there were many who were satisfied that they had registered early and got "in".
    What does the race organiser care who gets "in" as long as the allotted spaces are filled (presuming ther are a number of slots set aside for a competitive race at the pointy end)??

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Registration opened today. I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Fairplay cianc , you can be my wind gaurd on the sub 60 brigade.....

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Fairplay cianc , you can be my wind gaurd on the sub 60 brigade.....

Fool me once... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Ah il be going for sub 59 anyway:-) love this race, cant wait for it really....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mylifetoday

A very fast ten miler with only one hill/drag from 8-9mls... definitely a PB course.

What does it take to break 70mins ie..
    mileage wkly
    lsr pace
    tempo runs pace
    intervals pace

Thanks in advance for any help/advice... please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

mileage wkly
    lsr pace
    tempo runs pace
    intervals pace

Probably best to open a separate thread for above. As it will only clog up the thread for the event itself.

Great event but can't do it next year due to date conflict! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mileage wkly
    lsr pace
    tempo runs pace
    intervals pace

Has been asked a couple of times in recent weeks, e.g.:
    here and
    here.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

From West Waterford facebook page

As of tonight Thursday we have recieved 1.500 entries for the race.

we have just 500 entries remaining and we expect these to fill in a short few days.If you intend running please get your entry in now.

WHEN ITS FULL ITS FULL NO EXCEPTIONS.

• Advertisement

:eek: There has been a large number of entries for this following a reminder to the 600 participants atthe 1st night of the west Waterford winter league on Wed night. There are now about 300 places left

eliwallach wrote: »
    I don't get this kind of message from race organisers/ websites etc.
    It seems like the race organisers are suggesting that the people who actually went to the trouble of registering early effectively take the place of a disappointed/ disgruntled punter?
    Equally there were many who were satisfied that they had registered early and got "in".
    What does the race organiser care who gets "in" as long as the allotted spaces are filled (presuming ther are a number of slots set aside for a competitive race at the pointy end)??

WWAC do care who gets in.... as many as possible from the local area

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

:eek: There has been a large number of entries for this following a reminder to the 600 participants atthe 1st night of the west Waterford winter league on Wed night. There are now about 300 places left

298 now !!
    Mr.W + 1 :D

50 places left as of 1pm... will be full before day is out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

Has closed now...I could swear the only reason this sells out is because of people posting regarding the number of spots left...It almost drives people into a frenzy thinking they wont get a spot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

:( ....feck... In anyone's experience, do they ever reopen this for more entrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Muppet Man wrote: »
    :( ....feck... In anyone's experience, do they ever reopen this for more entrants?

No. But I wonder what they do with postal entries already in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Wow that filled up quick! Glad I'm in

Muppet Man wrote: »

Seriously dude, how could you have missed the boat on this one!!!!
    The count down begun in earnest about 3 weeks ago!!
    I even "gave up" my spot to accommodate the likes of you ;)

• Advertisement

I hope the organisers take note of this and do more next year to warn people...just an idea , but how about counting down the amount of places left to motivate people to sign up earlier ??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    I hope the organisers take note of this and do more next year to warn people...just an idea , but how about counting down the amount of places left to motivate people to sign up earlier ??:confused:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

It's a pretty popular race especially among the Munster clubs and growing in popularity every year. It sold out in early December last year. West Waterford AC had updates on their FB page since the end of October about the number of entries left.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fowler1

Its great to see a well run good value race like this sell out'
    I am from KK and W Waterford organise the best races around.
    A lot of the greedy race organisers could learn something here'

Dude ( as I remove tongue from cheek ) that is exactly what I don't want.
    If the race is selling out so quick why do the organisers feel the need to come on here crowing about it. Seems to me the race will sell out anyway. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

Agreed. Counting down the spots is a ploy to rush people into signing up as opposed to just being a helpful reminder.

I believe its called the Ballycotton affect - if people know a race will sell out they are more likely to sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Agreed. Counting down the spots is a ploy to rush people into signing up as opposed to just being a helpful reminder.

I believe its called the Ballycotton affect - if people know a race will sell out they are more likely to sign up

Dungarvan is possibly in the top 3 races of the year behind Dublin marathon and .....I have it at number 2. The spread after it leaves me a happy round bunny going home....value for money 10/10....
    Anyone know the mallow date here for nxt year ?

Dungarvan is possibly in the top 3 races of the year behind Dublin marathon and .....I have it at number 2. The spread after it leaves me a happy round bunny going home....value for money 10/10....
    Anyone know the mallow date here for nxt year ?

Not sure....., but dont worry, they'll let us know how many places left in the weeks leading up to it !! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Not sure....., but dont worry, they'll let us know how many places left in the weeks leading up to it !! ;-)

Do you want a place mr wiggle ???

Then you should have signed up in the last 2 months. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Or maybe they could do something crazy like allow people to transfer their entry to a friend!

Advertisement