Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Treacy Dungarvan 10 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

John Desmond has a course preview now up

http://munsterraceroutes.blogspot.ie/2013/03/waterford009.html

Looking forward to this to see where I am fitness wise for the Limerick Marathon. Aiming for 65min

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Jeepers, feeling a bit scared now after reading that. Is the course really that fast? Training was a no no before Christmas due to calf injury. I'm back doing a bit for the last 4 weeks & all this talk of a 'fast course' has me thinking I'll be the last woman home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

denis160 wrote: »
    Jeepers, feeling a bit scared now after reading that. Is the course really that fast? Training was a no no before Christmas due to calf injury. I'm back doing a bit for the last 4 weeks & all this talk of a 'fast course' has me thinking I'll be the last woman home :(

Don't be worrying, just go run and have fun :) It's a nice course, and has a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

spare number can be collected from me in south dublin. If interested PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

vinny1313 wrote: »
    The first thing I thought when I read that yesterday was to wear the biggest headphones I could find, however I think I'll refrain! :)

a lad swapped numbers last year.. came high up 55odd - dqf... they have spotters on route checking for headphones .. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

John Desmond has listed the pacers on his blog

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2014/01/preview-of-dungarvan-10-mile-racesun.html

Noel Murphy 60 Unattached
    Brian Byrne 65 West Waterford AC
    Gerry Cantwell 65 West Waterford AC
    Michael Dunford 70 West Waterford AC
    Anthony Whelan 70 West Waterford AC
    Mark Cliffe 75 West Waterford AC
    Nicky Connolly 75 West Waterford AC
    Conor O Neill 80 West Waterford AC
    Niall Collins 80 West Waterford AC
    Ian Robinson 85 Waterford AC
    Trevor Murphy 85 Waterford AC
    Joanne Dunford 90 West Waterford AC
    Trevor Walsh 90 West Waterford AC
    Michelle Byrne 95 Waterford AC
    Tony Keogh 95 Waterford AC
    John Dunphy 100 Midelton AC

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Best of luck to all tomorrow - hopefully the rain will have moved on by start time. Unfortunately had to send race pack back due to injury :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck to all tomorrow.
    Apparently a great race from all the reviews I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Anyone know if gear bags can be left at the sports centre,? seeing as there's shower facilities after the race it would be handy to have leave it there. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

denis160 wrote: »
    Anyone know if gear bags can be left at the sports centre,? seeing as there's shower facilities after the race it would be handy to have leave it there. Thanks.

At your own risk only I'd say. Try park as close as possible to the sports centre and grab your bag when you're finished the race. Head for showers and food then. Leaving your bag there probably not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I hope the 70 Minute guys are big as we are going to need some shelter from the wind in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

In the car on the way down with a bunch of crazy b's looking to push me to a pb...Im just out to enjoy it...one of them out for a sub 60...
    Good luck to us all, hope the wind stays away...

Edit-shagging wind :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

That start was an absolute disgrace. 13 minutes in hail, sleet and gale force winds. I guess james dean, whoever he is didn't want to stand out in either. Anyone know what went on? I'm sure it ruined some times

• Registered Users Posts: 4 runnerdee

I wasn't there but I believe there was a funeral so the race organisers were waiting for the go ahead for the guards to get the race underway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Heard on another forum from two lads that Maria Mc had a nasty fall and seemed quite upset when they passed her. Hope it was just a heavy tumble and that she's ok.

Jaysus, there's always something with Irish races. If it's not one thing, it's another. Funeral today, a parked bread van tomorrow and a Junior B football match up the road the day after.

Sounds like a tough outing anyway, weather wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

The race start was unfortunate and quite frustrating alright, but I guess these things happen. It was quite testing doing the first 3 miles being pelted by hail! It was a really nice race all the same, lovely scenery, also kudos on the goody bag with a proper nike dri fit technical tee and chocolate.

And btw I don't want to take away from the organisers and volunteers who, as usual, did a great job in such difficult conditions. If they knew it was going to be held up they probably should have pushed out the start time back so at least everyone could have kept warming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

any news of winners / times yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Tomas Fitzpatrick 1st
    Sean Hehir 2nd

• Advertisement

All the above is spot on really....the delay was quite short really in the grand scheme of things, and it was due to a funeral so no-one should be wiggling fingers at the organisers, and lets be honest...if it wasn't for the hail no-one would have cared about the delay.
    Once started it was kinda surreal to be pelted by hail for the first fews miles, but once we turned onto the country roads, the wind died down and the temp. rose.The runners after 75mins got another hail shower on the way back, but the hot showers and grub were spot on in the centre.
    My first time doing it and I can't believe how fast a course it is, gonna come back next year and give it a right old bash.
    Passed Maria Mc about mile 3/4 I think and she was being held up by a steward - she looked completely disoriented, i hope she's ok ( update anyone?)
    Was treating this as a training run , planning to do 7.30's, but following the crowd I found myself doing 7.15's and hung around with a local celebrity called Tony ( Come on Tony! - Good man Tony - Well done Tony ! Had some good banter with him )
    Pushed on from mile 8 to give myself a good sprint finish for mile 10 ( wicked fast last mile the course has ), crossing the line in 70.36. Think its a pb. :D
    Well done West Waterford AC, just organize the weather a bit better next year and I'll be back for sure :)

Mr.W~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

webpal wrote: »

I can't access this, does anyone have another link?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DAVID AKA MACKY

Some cracking times i see there considering the conditions.Cracking time by the winner in that wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Maria apparently taken to hospital with hypothermia. Hope she recovers quickly.

AK333 wrote: »
    I can't access this, does anyone have another link?

Try it again, the link is good alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great event today, well marshalled . The call outs at each mile on your times was very welcome. Lovely course, my 1st time doing it and loved it despite the weather.
    The start was unfortunate, but you can't really put a time on when a funeral will finish!
    The spread at the end was amazing, thanks to all the volunteers for putting so much effort in there.
    It's a pity it conflicts with Raheny 5m.

Well done all the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

jaysus I thought the misery of winter running was finished when I ran my last Cross Country race last month :)

Pity about the start, however the organisers (and the Gardai) knew about the funeral (even the night before surely) so they should have just announced a 15 or 20 minute delay to the start instead of drip feeding info on to us at the starting line.

Also the constant calling out for some lad to come to the starting area was a tad annoying, surely he knew he was due to be there at 13:00 so where the heck did he go by 13:10??

The hail was tough, I can see how the elite runners could seize up in those conditions, especially after standing still in the cold and rain for over 10 min prior. I have a bit more meat on the bones so I was OK :D

One last observation, middle of winter, belting rain, howling winds and a Minister of our esteemed Government was wearing sun glasses :rolleyes:

Overall a good day with some character building thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

One last observation, middle of winter, belting rain, howling winds and a Minister of our esteemed Government was wearing sun glasses :rolleyes:

Not the 1st time I've seen a cowboy with a gun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

Was there really a funeral?...What was the story with this James Veale character, what was he at, he must have been having a cup of tea in the back of a van somewhere..That PA announcer was fairly annoying

Besides the fact that I couldn't feel my hands for the first 3 miles, it turned out to be a great race with a big PB for me too.

Advertisement