Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Treacy Dungarvan 10 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

Enjoyed that today. It was a lovely course and very well organised. Great spread afterwards too. I wasn't too bothered about the delayed start, you have to stand around for longer in some bigger races, it was unfortunate that it was cold. At least we were underway before it really pelted down, and it cleared up after 20 odd minutes. Once it did i thought the conditions were almost ideal, the wind wasn't too bad and was certainly better than it being too hot! Just under 69mins by my watch, which was good for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Cracking fast course new shiny pb of 70:45. Great spread afterwards couldn't really fault the race, delayed start wouldn't have been an issue only for that hail shower which was beyond everyone's control.

Finding real chocolate (Twix) in the goodie bag was heaven sent other RD's please note us runners do like some self indulgence when we finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Was there really a funeral?...What was the story with this James Veale character, what was he at, he must have been having a cup of tea in the back of a van somewhere..That PA announcer was fairly annoying

Besides the fact that I couldn't feel my hands for the first 3 miles, it turned out to be a great race with a big PB for me too.

Yes there was a funeral and a pretty tragic one at that. Young man died suddenly and his family wanted funeral to pass his home which is quite understandable. Every time you get to stand at start of a race you should consider yourself lucky. Don't give out about a few minutes hold up. As for James Veale the man is a legend and the driving force behind west waterford and the 60+ events they organise every year. If he was held up it was something important for the race. He was probably on the go from 4.30 this morning and he also put in a good time for the race too. Finally big shout out to the 70 minute pacers one of whom stood in at last minute. They were spot on throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Cooldog

What's the story with the results, is there some sort of glitch usually be up by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dathai c

This is what I understand...There was a funeral today. The funeral cortege passed by close to the start. The Gardai do not allow the roads to be closed to the public (this is why cars were snaking through the crowd before the start). The Gardai wanted the funeral cortège to clear before the the race started, hence the delay. I imagine the race organisers were having on-going discussions with the authorities about the start.

The hail was a pain at the start for sure, but conditions were very nice once the weather cleared. For once, the wind was at our backs for the last 2 miles.
    €20 entry + 15 minute delay in exchange for a Nike Dri-Fit tee, fantastic organisation, and a fab spread afterwards. More than fair I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Cooldog wrote: »
    What's the story with the results, is there some sort of glitch usually be up by now.

they're up..

http://www.dungarvan10mile.org/results.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

After a heavy week of training this was never going to be an A race. I would have given it a good go otherwise but number 1 priority was being able to run tomorrow and have a good run out. Had cycling arm warmers on. Had a few people ask if they could buy them. I did enjoy the race but the delay of the start could have been avoided. If there was feedback given about the 5 min delay then further feedback should have been given about the missing guy. Was a good training session for under 63 mins. Didn't murder myself as there was not much point. I was frozen even though I had a tracksuit on until 12:55. Men's showers was a bit crazy. Was right last year. TBH they should have an extra men's changing room with showers though I won't complain as having showers is a great plus. I have never been disappointed with this race as they do try to get everything right. They were close 2 years ago only that some farmer spilled a load of oil at 3 miles on the road. Its a small town and they will just need to double check that there is no match/mass etc on at that time next year and tbh the race needs to take precedences. Its not ideal. I do think though that the great club that is west waterford will learn from today and have next year even better.

RE: Maria, I feel for her. I saw another lad getting the royal treatment with someone putting a big jacket over him to keep him warm. Possibly giving out space blankets to the mile timers next year might be a good idea in future for anyone that drops out due to the time of year. This would be very cheap as they would be hardly needed. All in all you can't fault them.

Anyone else just getting into a test page when they try this link?

rom wrote: »
    After a heavy week of training this was never going to be an A race. I would have given it a good go otherwise but number 1 priority was being able to run tomorrow and have a good run out. Had cycling arm warmers on. Had a few people ask if they could buy them. I did enjoy the race but the delay of the start could have been avoided. If there was feedback given about the 5 min delay then further feedback should have been given about the missing guy. Was a good training session for under 63 mins. Didn't murder myself as there was not much point. I was frozen even though I had a tracksuit on until 12:55. Men's showers was a bit crazy. Was right last year. TBH they should have an extra men's changing room with showers though I won't complain as having showers is a great plus. I have never been disappointed with this race as they do try to get everything right. They were close 2 years ago only that some farmer spilled a load of oil at 3 miles on the road. Its a small town and they will just need to double check that there is no match/mass etc on at that time next year and tbh the race needs to take precedences. Its not ideal. I do think though that the great club that is west waterford will learn from today and have next year even better.

RE: Maria, I feel for her. I saw another lad getting the royal treatment with someone putting a big jacket over him to keep him warm. Possibly giving out space blankets to the mile timers next year might be a good idea in future for anyone that drops out due to the time of year. This would be very cheap as they would be hardly needed. All in all you can't fault them.

I think it was a funeral today and this I feel should take priority over a road race every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Try this

Results PDF

• Advertisement

ger664 wrote: »
    Try this

Results PDF

Thanks ger664 but I am still getting a Test Main Page with no results.

http://pastebin.com/vCmBTPMy

I think it was a funeral today and this I feel should take priority over a road race every time.

My point is if the church/gaa etc are more aware of the race time then there won't be match or funeral ending at that time so there is no need to change the race. The race time is set. It is the biggest thing in Dungarvan adn Sunday mas can move for one day in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

Yes there was a funeral and a pretty tragic one at that. Young man died suddenly and his family wanted funeral to pass his home which is quite understandable. Every time you get to stand at start of a race you should consider yourself lucky. Don't give out about a few minutes hold up. As for James Veale the man is a legend and the driving force behind west waterford and the 60+ events they organise every year. If he was held up it was something important for the race. He was probably on the go from 4.30 this morning and he also put in a good time for the race too. Finally big shout out to the 70 minute pacers one of whom stood in at last minute. They were spot on throughout.

Well thats perfectly fine then, as I am not from the area I had no idea whether the the above was true or not, as I couldnt really hear the guy on the PA...Given the reason of the funeral then I have no problem with waiting an extra few minutes to run a race to allow it pass....

When you don't really know the situation I think its fair enough to ask a few questions as to why we had to stand in the freezing rain and sleet and not assume that there is such tragic circumstances...But as I say, perfectly acceptable reasons..I also have no idea who 'James Veale' is for the record!

The issue was with the "James Veale" delay. Would be nice to get a reason and not a ryanair/aer lingus reason. We were late leaving as the plane was late coming in.

My point is if the church/gaa etc are more aware of the race time then there won't be match or funeral ending at that time so there is no need to change the race. The race time is set. It is the biggest thing in Dungarvan adn Sunday mas can move for one day in the year.

it wasn't a Sunday mass, it was a funeral mass and I somehow doubt the poor family concerned nor the priest were thinking of a road race at the time.

While I agree with a lot of your points let's just drop the mass one, because it wasn't a simple case of Sunday mass delaying things.

I also get the 'test' page for the 'Winners' list, but the 'Full Results' page seems to be fine.

it wasn't a Sunday mass, it was a funeral mass and I somehow doubt the poor family concerned nor the priest were thinking of a road race at the time.

While I agree with a lot of your points let's just drop the mass one, because it wasn't a simple case of Sunday mass delaying things.

The mass was not the issue. We were told it was 5 mins. no problem. The problem was the guy getting to the start.

The mass was not the issue. We were told it was 5 mins. no problem. The problem was the guy getting to the start.

I was just correcting your previous post (#104).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The issue was with the "James Veale" delay. Would be nice to get a reason and not a ryanair/aer lingus reason. We were late leaving as the plane was late coming in.

He's the Chairperson of WWAC I believe and he was liaising with the Garda before he could give the starter the all clear to start the race.
    Not ideal to be left standing in the cold, but nothing WWAC could control, everything else was spot on, still one of the best on the Irish race calendar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    He's the Chairperson of WWAC I believe and he was liaising with the Garda before he could give the starter the all clear to start the race.
    Not ideal to be left standing in the cold, but nothing WWAC could control, everything else was spot on, still one of the best on the Irish race calendar.

Yes he is chairperson and from what I could see he was given the all clear by the Guards to start.

I was just correcting your previous post (#104).

fair enough. getting notice of a 5 mins delay at 12:50 was fine. It was unfortunate that the weather changed so bad as we wouldn't be talking about it if it hadn't. Was at a race last weekend that was delayed 30 mins but the weather was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Anyone else just getting into a test page when they try this link?

Got this as well....just right click the results link and "open link in incognito window" and its fine.

Enjoyed the race today, brutal weather for the first two miles but eventually it turned out to be a decent day for running. Tough having the feet soaked after a mile with all the surface water but I made a good choice wearing the gloves today.

Ya the start been delayed wasn't ideal in the weather but I think in this instance they had a very valid reason which I fully understand and have no problem with...they did announce the reason fairly clearly what the hold-up was over. As for James Veale, won't forget his name in a hurry, got a good laugh with all the jokes been cracked on the starting line about it...apart from the brother who didn't see the funny side.

Great standard today considering the weather...2 runners under 50mins and the likes of Sergiu only 5th. Always look forward to the final mile here, its a great run in if you have anything at all in the tank.

Another great race by Waterford AC...Now roll on Mallow, hopefully a bit better weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mylifetoday

IMO...there have been some frustrating comments in relation to the delayed start & some very inappropriate comments made in relation to the delay at the start of the race today... some (in hindsight) have acknowledged that as they now know the reason for the delay, they appreciate that we are fortunate to be able to run..... I am a west Waterford AC member.... and I am asking those who have posted negatively about the race... consider the above... There is another race for you... leave go you frustrations of the day....please acknowledge the good of the race. (From one runner to another)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

[QUOTE=..... I am a west Waterford AC member.... )[/QUOTE]

I had a rubbish race due to lack of fitness not the course/weather so I won't comment on that. Two things I would like to mention, any chance you could start the race at 11am? Personal preference, I prefer morning races and 2, ask some of the fast runners to leave a few buns for us slower ones! :D

AK333 wrote: »
    I had a rubbish race due to lack of fitness not the course/weather so I won't comment on that. Two things I would like to mention, any chance you could start the race at 11am? Personal preference, I prefer morning races and 2, ask some of the fast runners to leave a few buns for us slower ones! :D

Well done... you finished(Anyone who runs 10 mls is not rubbish:))...
    BUT.... What you sow(training) you reap(buns)

11am start... :eek:

Webpal...Your post was the first after race post...Frustration/cold/travelled to race?? probably... There was a funeral which delayed the start... ..... James Veale is Chairman of WWAC and he was liaising with Gardaí on when to allow race to start... Hope you had a good run... and .. please edit your post ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Webpal...Your post was the first after race post...Frustration/cold/travelled to race?? probably... There was a funeral which delayed the start... ..... James Veale is Chairman of WWAC and he was liaising with Gardaí on when to allow race to start... Hope you had a good run... and .. please edit your post ??

Please, edit your post? mylifetoday, you need to relax. People are actually allowed to have negative opinions of the way a race start is managed (regardless of the reasons)

You've posted on several threads now about this perhaps time to take a deep breath and calm down(and stop trying to self mod the forum)

@mylifetoday repeat after me: "I am not a mod, this is a public thread where people can express differing opinions".
    Oh, and stop sending me PMs asking me to edit my posts also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Races being delayed due to funerals, in particular, is not unprecedented. Even the Dublin City Marathon has been delayed, on more than one occasion, by up to 20 mins, due to funerals.

West Waterford AC are one of the leading lights, and one of the most progressive (if not the most) in race organisation. They will, as I'm sure they always do, review yesterday's event.

As a fellow race organiser, we always try to anticipate what might go wrong - you *CAN'T* cover them all. You just hope there aren't major problems.

What happened yesterday? Well we set off at 1:13 (according to my watch anyway :rolleyes: ). In my book, thirteen minutes isn't a massive delay, given yesterdays circumstances - the tragic funeral.

If the sun had been shining, there probably would have been very few complaints. Unfortunately the weather wasn't kind.....but it was forecast - we all knew about it and some wise souls were very well attired for the elements -and we were lucky that the race wasn't on 12 hours earlier. Clearly, the main problem was the weather.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks to West Waterford AC for a great day...apart from the hail & cold! My first time doing this race and managed to hit my target time, in spite of my fingers being frostbitten for the first few miles - left my gloves at home...Doh!

Advertisement