Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Irish Bake Off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Cosmo2013

yeah Aoife should still be there.

ummm how did una stay? with the box? and the disasters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

yellow hen wrote: »
    Ok how the hell did aoife snd Barbara go and Una stay?????

Did Una win the technical? Maybe that saved her. I think without the third challenge judging is quite difficult and the results would be more fair if they had three things to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

dee_mc wrote: »
    Pleased for Stephen, but he was totally expecting it!
    Poor Barbara and Aoife, didn't expect Aoife to go- I thought Una was for the chop.

Yeah, you could see it was in the bag, Will's was next best!.......

I didn't think Aoife was for the bus at all!.......I loved her honey bees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Thanks for your support guys I really appreciate the kind words over the past few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Did Una win the technical? Maybe that saved her. I think without the third challenge judging is quite difficult and the results would be more fair if they had three things to go on.

Oonagh ranked high up in the technical so that must be what saved her despite the fact that she didn't even do the right thing in the show stopper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Another poor episode in terms of actual baking, the Mille-Feuille all looked rough as hell and then the croquembouche were at best average, people cheating by leaving inserts in place was just braindead. Paul might also want to attempt to learn how to pronounce the things hes asking people to bake, crow-com-bush wasnt a high point in the show. Overall another poor episode with unlikeable people abounding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Another poor episode in terms of actual baking, the Mille-Feuille all looked rough as hell and then the croquembouche were at best average, people cheating by leaving inserts in place was just braindead. Paul might also want to attempt to learn how to pronounce the things hes asking people to bake, crow-com-bush wasnt a high point in the show. Overall another poor episode with unlikeable people abounding.

Ouch Ben, that's a bit harsh, to me the contestants come across as a fun and likeable bunch: the challenges this week were tough and the time allowed seemed short, particularly for the profiteroles. These are amateur bakers working with basic recipes (often not the ones they're used to using) and in difficult conditions as they're surrounded by cameras, which must add to the pressure of the competition. We've all been critical of the format and the approach of the judges but your vitriol towards the show as a whole seems inappropriate.

Ouch Ben, that's a bit harsh, to me the contestants come across as a fun and likeable bunch: the challenges this week were tough and the time allowed seemed short, particularly for the profiteroles. These are amateur bakers working with basic recipes (often not the ones they're used to using) and in difficult conditions as they're surrounded by cameras, which must add to the pressure of the competition. We've all been critical of the format and the approach of the judges but your vitriol towards the show as a whole seems inappropriate.

I agree dee...

This is one of the few shows I've seen that people wouldn't tear each other throats out for a win.......It's a refreshing change.

I also think if the poster Ben read the thread he would see we have all made our opinions known.

Roll on Thursday and all credit to our fellow Boardie Chong, he is still one of the strongest canditates.

Go on Chong!!:):):)

I agree dee...

This is one of the few shows I've seen that people wouldn't tear each other throats out for a win.......It's a refreshing change.

I also think if the poster Ben read the thread he would see we have all made our opinions known.

Roll on Thursday and all credit to our fellow Boardie Chong, he is still one of the strongest canditates.

Go on Chong!!:):):)

So because youve had your opinions aired nobody else should? Its a poor show talent wise, thats obvious, doesnt interest me if everyone is all pally pally, if anything a show with interesting people with an edge would be far better. Its a poor substitute for GBBO but interesting from the point of view of how to get a successful concept pretty wrong. Hopefully they improve it, get new/better judges and maybe up the overall skill level, people shouldnt be struggling with custard and creme patt really at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

That's a good price for the Kenwood mixer in Harvey N's - 249E

That is the one I got to replace the hand mixer, it's very handy it has a blender and a food processor, the mixing bowl is a good size. I've had it for almost 6 months now and it gets a lot of use. I would recommend it.

cofy wrote: »
    That is the one I got to replace the hand mixer, it's very handy it has a blender and a food processor, the mixing bowl is a good size. I've had it for almost 6 months now and it gets a lot of use. I would recommend it.

I'm going up on Monday to have a look at it cofy. It looks like a good price all right. Thanks for that. I have a separate Food P so I really only need it for my "intended" future baking plans!...;)

I just thought it was a good bargain when I saw the ad on the interval for the show. Thanks for the feed-back.

So because youve had your opinions aired nobody else should? Its a poor show talent wise, thats obvious, doesnt interest me if everyone is all pally pally, if anything a show with interesting people with an edge would be far better. Its a poor substitute for GBBO but interesting from the point of view of how to get a successful concept pretty wrong. Hopefully they improve it, get new/better judges and maybe up the overall skill level, people shouldnt be struggling with custard and creme patt really at this level.

That's a matter of opinion. I merely pointed out there were different levels of criticism of the show during the thread but posters seem to enjoying it for the most.

I, for one, hope there is a second series and, hopefully, address the shortcomings.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Loving the show! Editing is woejus! There's been a couple of weeks they've only shown positive remarks about the person who is kicked off. Tv3 might think they're making it all mysterious, its just making it annoying!

Re previous post ben.schlomo, I'm in no way saying you're not entitled to have and express an opinion; my issue was your use of the word 'braindead' in relation to the contestants, and your suggestion of 'unlikeable people' abounding. It all seemed a bit personal, which is what I felt was inappropriate.
    It's the first series of what I hope will come to be an even better show: yes there are problems and no it's not identical to GBBO, but I expect the standard of contestants and judging will improve with time.
    I consider myself an accomplished and creative baker but I must say, I would never have had the courage to apply for this show, partly because of the unpleasant, personal comments I would potentially be subjected to by posters such as yourself. Fair play to those who did apply :)

Re previous post ben.schlomo, I'm in no way saying you're not entitled to have and express an opinion; my issue was your use of the word 'braindead' in relation to the contestants, and your suggestion of 'unlikeable people' abounding. It all seemed a bit personal, which is what I felt was inappropriate.
    It's the first series of what I hope will come to be an even better show: yes there are problems and no it's not identical to GBBO, but I expect the standard of contestants and judging will improve with time.
    I consider myself an accomplished and creative baker but I must say, I would never have had the courage to apply for this show, partly because of the unpleasant, personal comments I would potentially be subjected to by posters such as yourself. Fair play to those who did apply :)

Re the braindead comment, it was meant as a description of the idea of leaving the stabilising centre in the croque, as for unlikeable people, yes there are unlikeable people on it,like most tv shows. You are quite clearly to sensitive a soul for it if you are offended by it but im sure your baking skills would improve it.

Re the braindead comment, it was meant as a description of the idea of leaving the stabilising centre in the croque, as for unlikeable people, yes there are unlikeable people on it,like most tv shows. You are quite clearly to sensitive a soul for it if you are offended by it but im sure your baking skills would improve it.
    Yea as I said, I wouldn't apply for such a show as I wouldn't like being bitched about by strangers- if that makes me a 'sensitive soul', I'm ok with that!
    I'm done derailing the thread anyway, apologies other posters, back on topic now I guess :)

Nice shirt Will!
    Very open challenge this week, 'my life in a cake' sounds fun!

I'm a bit late dee, what's the challenge please??........:)

lol, just saw your post, any special ingredients??....:):)

A cake that represents your life 'journey' - 3 hours.
    Will is doing a chiffon cake, dutch colours on the outside with blue red and white icing, and green and gold on the inside.
    MaryAnne is making a frasierre (sp?) cake
    The blonde girl is doing macaroons, chocolate cake AND a cake with champagne.
    And Stephen is telling you what he's doing right now!

• Advertisement

Stephen is bluffing his socks off by the sound of it!......

Thanks for that dee!!............:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

GO WILL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Missed the whole of part 1.

Gwan Chong!

Ah, the rose is beautiful!........

Not liking the marker faces!........

Stephen's doesn't look as polished and... 'finished' as I expected

I think Oonagh's is a bit random?

God, Biddy talks some manure.........

Looks like Oonagh is a bit mean with the filling in the macaroons but as always they're loving her flavours... now, cmon Will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Will, I'm a huge fan and wish you into the final but that was alot of food dye in one cake!

• Advertisement

Ah go'way Stephen, dowels without boards! Stephen doesn't look like a frontrunner for a change, Maryanne's finish is excellent this week

Advertisement