Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great Irish Bake Off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Tracy was the real star there....

No surprise it's Khade....:(

Oh, we're on a double night next week folks!....

Book the telly now!!...:)

Thank God I have the house to myself!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Tracy's cake! Wow! I like her a lot, she seems lovely :) totally deserved to be star baker!

Crumpets wrote: »
    Tracy's cake! Wow! I like her a lot, she seems lovely :) totally deserved to be star baker!

I really like her too Crumpets....:) - She comes across as a lovely person.

Her cake was beautiful.

I wasn't mad about Poppy's, the blue is not my favourite colour in a cake, but I want her to do so well next week!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Yes, there is something really nice about Tracy, very sincere, and her cake tonight, wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love Khade. He has a great personality. But it was time for him to go. Biddy annoyed me when she was getting in his face saying 'truth'. That's something a child would do. She really seems to love when people mess up.

Tracy's cake was awesome. I love her. Alex's cake was cool too.

Shane isn't being edited that well. He's not coming across well at all. (Or maybe he's like that in real life.)

Sad to see Hazel go. Nice to watch someone with a lovely bubbly personality. She'll be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

Feck1ng raging :mad: I went to watch tonight's show on the player and it was a 2 minute interview with Hazel following her elimination. Gobsh1tes !!

Found the actual show elsewhere on the page, gonna have a look and then have a read of the thread.

jos28 wrote: »
    Feck1ng raging :mad: I went to watch tonight's show on the player and it was a 2 minute interview with Hazel following her elimination. Gobsh1tes !!

Ah, I hate that jos!....:(

Hope you are having a nice summer though!.....:) xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

Thoroughly enjoying the sunshine GSW until the rain came today :( I suppose it saves watering the plants though. Hope yours is going well

Pressure was really on tonight, unusual to see Poppy struggling. Tracy's cake (and kitchen) was amazing. Such attention to detail, a worthy winner. I love Shane, he has a very droll sense of humour and is so creative.
    So sorry to see our Boardsie go :(:(. We'll miss you Hazeler but I'll be sure to check out your blogs on a regular basis.
    Definitely going to make pear tartin this weekend, gonna cheat with shop bought pastry though :D Did someone say there is a double episode next week - No Wednesday night yoga for me if that's the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just caught up!
    Sorry to see Hazel go, the tartes tanin all looked to be of fairly similar quality so must have been a close one and difficult to judge. Interested to see a true 'blind tasting' for the first time.
    It was Khade's time to go; I wonder if he would have progressed further given more positive reinforcement and encouragement instead of being chided and told off like a 4 year old, but we'll never know :P
    Tracey's showstopper was outstanding, thinking outside the box (excuse the dreadful pun!)
    She and Alex are now my favourites (seeing as we no longer have a Boardsie in the running :( )
    Two shows next week, we'll all have to clear our schedules! I'd say it's between Tracey and Alex to win now, but Shane could rise to the challenge too, it's all to play for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Ah, Khade's footie stadium is not great....:(
    I didn't expect it to be anything but cr@p. Once I heard about his idea I knew he was set to fail. Idea itself it's not great - too many small details, most stadiums aren't attractive pieces of design and simply they're for playing games not for baking them ;) just google "stadium cake" - pure ugliness.
    So far I've seen 3 attempts to make stadium cake on The Great Bake Offs and they all have been failures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Well done on getting so far hazel, you did great!

I loved Khade, he was so laid back. I get the impression he really didn't like Biddy and I don't blame him. I thought it for a few weeks but in this episode you could tell he was fed up with her, first with his answer when she was going "truth truth?!" (:rolleyes:) and then when she said something while judging his cake, he let out a big sigh!

I reckon Tracey FTW, and Shane second.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

Oh no!! Our boardsie is gone!! :(

Well done hazeler, you were great!! :D
    Ah, poor Haz........:(........

Hugs my dear girl!......xxx

You done good our dear Boardie!....:)
    cofy wrote: »
    You did yourself proud Hazel.... Hugsxxxxx
    LynnGrace wrote: »
    Yes, there is something really nice about Tracy, very sincere, and her cake tonight, wow!

Sad to see Hazel go. Nice to watch someone with a lovely bubbly personality. She'll be missed.

Thanks guys! I was proud of myself that day... Not my baking, that was rubbish, but proud of ME. So that pear tarte tatin was filmed 3 hours after me being taken out of the tent over my "little turn". I was told I could go back in and bake or forfeit my place (in a nut shell, they weren't that blunt about it!) After many panicked phone calls I said I would go in and give it my best. I had never made a tarte tatin before, or rough puff. I would usually avoid all the things that are that time consuming but I made it, tried my best and was sent home.

Being 7th/6th place consistently catches up with you I guess. :D but am proud of me for actually baking that day. Doesn't matter how rubbish it was.

Raging :mad: I didn't get to do my Cake though... the thing I am actually good at!! It was going to be a neapolitan checkerboard cake. Chocolate, raspberry and coconut with SMBC and a homemade waffle cone on top... I was going to present it like the icecream cone was melting on top of the cake and have chocolate ganache and sprinkles dripping down the side. In my head it looks fab... I'll make it someday!

Khade is such good fun and was edited really badly the other night- he's not a nuisance like they made him out to be. His baking, like mine, was average and it was his time to go. But he is so much fun, they tent will be very quiet!

Tracey is amazing. That Kerry girl has it all going on. And she is as sincere and genuine as she is portrayed. I really like her.

Shane is a smart arse with a very dry sense of humour but he's is such a nice guy. He was in my audition and from that moment I knew we'd be besties!! Lol! He is an incredible baker with flavours and ideas that always come together even though they sound really random and off the wall. He' edited as this, snap retorts, one word, no small talk type guy but he's very genuine and helped me out on more than one occasion so I will not have a bad word said against him you hear!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well done Hazel, you did yourself (and us) proud!

Didn't realise that the tart was done 3 hours after your turn - that's nuts. Did they shoot the whole series over 2 days? :)

^^^

I was just about to ask that! So they tell Khade to practice and then criticise him "the following week" (i.e. later that day) for not taking on board what they said :eek:

I can understand it being a lot more cost effective to shoot it all in a few days but god I can't imagine how hard that is on the contestants.

Mr E wrote: »
    Well done Hazel, you did yourself (and us) proud!

Didn't realise that the tart was done 3 hours after your turn - that's nuts. Did they shoot the whole series over 2 days? :)
    ^^^

I was just about to ask that! So they tell Khade to practice and then criticise him "the following week" (i.e. later that day) for not taking on board what they said :eek:

I can understand it being a lot more cost effective to shoot it all in a few days but god I can't imagine how hard that is on the contestants.

oh yeah the whole thing is shot over 4 weeks so it's a day or day and half filming per episode. It's CRAZY!! 4-5 days a week on set. 10-12 hour filming days.. is it any wonder people get the way they do!

Remember I said previous you can't change you mind about recipes, ingredients etc.. that's all part of it and in Khades case yes, he did one bake that night and then the following morning got up and baked his stadium cake.

So the day was Morning- Bagels, second half of Ep 5. Then Pear tarte tatin, first half of Ep 6. And the following day second half of Ep 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's ridiculous. Totally ridiculous. I actually don't care that it's filmed in such a short amount of time, but it's totally unfair on the contestants to act like they've have a week off between each episode. The judges (Biddy) shouldn't be allowed to ask the contestants if they practiced if they haven't had time. They made Khade look like he'd sat on his arse for the entire week between episodes when really he either had a night or a few hours. Just be upfront about because it's unfair that people will watch it and think that the contestants haven't taken anything on board. They just wouldn't have the time to do that.

I can't believe you made that tart tatin 3 hours after you left the tent sick and they just acted like it was a whole week later. Ridiculous.

You could tell you weren't right in that episode Hazel...you didn't look well (no offence :)) and it kind of seemed as if the fight had gone out of you. You poor thing, must have been horrendous after feeling so unwell!

Does anyone know if the British show is shot like that as well or if they are really shot week to week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think I remember the BBC had a roaming tent (a different place each week?) - I think that points to it being more spread out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I think I remember the BBC had a roaming tent (a different place each week?) - I think that points to it being more spread out.

I watched series 1 of GBBO only last week and they had the travelling tent, madness :D I'm not sure if they did the same in series 2. I'd say the crew hated having to up sticks and move the whole thing every week. It does seem to have always been filmed over the weekend as some contestants had exams during the series (Ruby I think?).

Who thought it was a good idea to squeeze all the Irish filming in like that? Recipe (ha) for disaster, everyone looked exhausted doing the tarte tatin. Very unfair conditions and a detriment to the show. Film it in a studio if hiring pretty grounds for long is too pricey.

Well done though Hazel, you got so far and should be very proud of yourself.

I am looking forward to the last two episodes though!

Well done hazel!what an achievement (and your little boy is so adorable)

Cannot believe that that was filmed so soon after your turn. I'm not sure what I was expecting but def not that. Tracey's cake was unbelievable, like I can't understand someone having that skill...even with her amazing kitchen I'd still have trouble cooking an omelette. Really hope it's between her and Alex in the final.

Totally with the other posters on biddys comment to khade. Ugh

You could tell you weren't right in that episode Hazel...you didn't look well (no offence :)) and it kind of seemed as if the fight had gone out of you. You poor thing, must have been horrendous after feeling so unwell!

Does anyone know if the British show is shot like that as well or if they are really shot week to week?

Ah it was fine... I did look a state but that's what a shower and a blow dry your hair upside down while trying to hold it all together looks like I guess! It does bother me that people don't know the timelines but then I guess that's the nature of the show so what can I do! (come on boards.ie and make sure folk know!! ;))

I think that's the way too... deffo for the first few series as they have such a wide geographical spread that I think it comes to them. I'm not 100% on now though so don't quote me on it! :)

DON'T FORGET...

Double episode this week. Tonight and tomorrow night at 9pm sharp! Semi final and final...

I CANNOT wait to talk to y'all about it! :D

hazeler wrote: »
    DON'T FORGET...

Double episode this week. Tonight and tomorrow night at 9pm sharp! Semi final and final...

I CANNOT wait to talk to y'all about it! :D

I've cleared the diary, looking forward to a double whammy of baking-related drama this week! Hmm maybe I should bake something in preparation... :D

dee_mc wrote: »
    I've cleared the diary, looking forward to a double whammy of baking-related drama this week! Hmm maybe I should bake something in preparation... :D

Oh do! and post it here... I am making shortbread! Easy peasy and perfect with a cuppa :)

• Advertisement

hazeler wrote: »
    Oh do! and post it here... I am making shortbread! Easy peasy and perfect with a cuppa :)

Oh yum! I might leave the baking til tomorrow and just have some ice cream tonight... mmm ice cream :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I'm going to be late home, but fingers crossed, I will catch the second part of tonight. I will be glued to the tv tomorrow night.

Oh yum! I might leave the baking til tomorrow and just have some ice cream tonight... mmm ice cream :)

I bought the Lidl ice-cream maker the other week dee.....:) I'm all set! What type would you like??....:):)

I bought the Lidl ice-cream maker the other week dee.....:) I'm all set! What type would you like??....:):)

Butterscotch please!
    Mmmm I made that when I first got my Lidl ice cream maker... It's a dust-gatherer now! Must dig it out at some point!

Butterscotch please!
    Mmmm I made that when I first got my Lidl ice cream maker... It's a dust-gatherer now! Must dig it out at some point!

I have loads of gadgets that fill that description!!...:D

"Must Haves".....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

:D I'm well prepped for tonight: chocolate-beetroot cake done, cooled and sliced, kettle filled, I only need to adorn myself in ikea apron and I'm all set!
    anyone want to guess how many times we're gonna here the words "I've never done this in my life" from the contestants tonight? I say minimum twice :D

j@utis wrote: »
    :D I'm well prepped for tonight: chocolate-beetroot cake done, cooled and sliced, :D

Sounds gorgeous j@, I love beetroot....:)

I'm holding the fort on my own so instead of eating a load of cake alone I'm settling for a nice chilled glass of vino....;)...or maybe two....:D

Woohoo, off we go! All aboard!

Let's Roll dee!!....:)

Let's Roll dee!!....:)

Swiss roll?
    :D

Swiss roll?
    :D

:eek:

You're a bold girl.....:p

Ooh one of the girls is making popping candy, looking forward to seeing it!
    Edit: Of course, it's Poppy! How did I forget, Poppy candy!

I have great time for Poppy, she did this in the midst of her exams, that's some achievement alone!....

Tracy's Bomb sounds lovely..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

just after turning on, whats the brief for the 1st challenge

Birdsong wrote: »
    just after turning on, whats the brief for the 1st challenge

Summer dinner party dessert. Biddy wants lots of fruit, and fruit she is getting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

The way Tracy was making the ice-cream was cool :o pun intended :o

Uh oh! Gin & Tonic jelly!.....

God, I hate that Sherry trifle wheeled out for years.....Bleugh.....:(

Uh oh! Gin & Tonic jelly!.....

God, I hate that Sherry trifle wheeled out for years.....Bleugh.....:(

Oh yum, gin and tonic jelly sounds amazing! I had dinner at an award winning restaurant during the week (my life is very exciting) and had cider jelly as part of a dessert, amazing, and a Hendricks G&T with cucumber, yuuuum! Maybe I need to make G&T&Cucumber jelly, experiment time....

Oh yum, gin and tonic jelly sounds amazing! I had dinner at an award winning restaurant during the week (my life is very exciting) and had cider jelly as part of a dessert, amazing, and a Hendricks G&T with cucumber, yuuuum! Maybe I need to make G&T&Cucumber jelly, experiment time....

I have partake'd of that libation myself dee..........deeeeelish!!!.....:D

You're very posh with your "award winning" Restaurant!!...:)

I don't see Ali in the final.....Tracy, Alex and Shane I think....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Not a good time to be watching this, just as the weight loss is going well, I will probably end up trying to lick the television screen!

I have partake'd of that libation myself dee..........deeeeelish!!!.....:D

You're very posh with your "award winning" Restaurant!!...:)

Haha, yea it's a very casual spot but lots of awards! http://www.wildhoneyinn.com/
    Not my usual Monday night, in fairness!

For the size of those fridges the freezer looks very small....

Haha, yea it's a very casual spot but lots of awards! http://www.wildhoneyinn.com/
    Not my usual Monday night, in fairness!

That looks gorgeous dee.....hope you had a lovely meal!...:)

Tracy's Bomb looks like a giant Baked Alaska...

• Advertisement

Oh, I'd love a slice of Poppy's cake!

It looks really lovely.

Is Paul being a bit pedantic regarding the dust on the sides?......maybe...

Advertisement