Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great Irish Bake Off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Delighted for Tracy she beat off some stiff competition from Shane:):) but Tracy was consistently brilliant throughout the competition apart from one bad week, and Shane improved consistently so it was hard to call who would win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

jos28 wrote: »
    Worthy winner but I feel sorry for Shane.
    To round off events and for a bit of crack - if you were to describe yourself as a cake, what would you be ?

To get the ball rolling I'd love to be a delicate Lady finger but in reality I'm more of a doughnut !

Black Forest.....

Full of booze.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

To round off events and for a bit of crack - if you were to describe yourself as a cake, what would you be ?

To get the ball rolling I'd love to be a delicate Lady finger but in reality I'm more of a doughnut !

I'm one of my very own brownies - a softie at heart but a bit rough round the edges, rather dark, with plenty of squidgy bits :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

Black Forest.....

Full of booze.....:D

:D:D:D

To round off events and for a bit of craic - if you were to describe yourself as a cake, what would you be ?

I think I would be a chocolate marquise cake.

cofy wrote: »

:)

the poster formerly known as cofy is now "Posh cofy".....:P

***gives little bow***

Very posh Cofy !

Very posh Cofy !

Not posh at all, quite messy to look at but tastes nice:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Now there's a thought.....

• Advertisement

That's not what Brendan O'Connor said......

Or so I heard.....:)

That's not what Brendan O'Connor said......

Or so I heard.....:)

I've tidied myself up a bit since then, !.5 stone:D:D

I'd be a macaroon......a complete pain in the hole ;)

I'd be a macaroon......a complete pain in the hole ;)

But you are all gooey on the inside:)

The poor 'ol Macaroon.......

The victim of bad press compliments of The GIBO......:(

I've tidied myself up a bit since then, !.5 stone:D:D

Don't go as skinny as him cofy!!!!.....:eek:

• Advertisement

Don't go as skinny as him cofy!!!!.....:eek:

There is'nt a hope of that happening. I am half way there with what I want to loose:)

I'd love one of Ali's sambos now but I'm too lazy to make one....

I must say I wasn't impressed by Bobblehead's pic of the famous Afternoon Tea...

What was Tracy glazing with the blow torch?

I don't know cofy, I'd like to have seen all of the sambos/cakes in slow motion....I got fazed by the amount of them all in less than ten minutes....

Hopefully they will be on the player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

That was great. Delighted that Tracy won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Anyone notice that Tracey said she'd only made macaroons once yet the vt of her family showed them sitting around the table eating macaroons!
    I wonder if they got prior notice of what was coming up to practice on.

It could've been a much better show with different judges.Paul was insufferable and Biddy just nodded away behind him. Have they not even noticed that these shows rely on judges playing good cop, bad cop a little?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well done to Tracey.... she deserved to win.

Am I the only one who died a little inside every time the word macaroon was spoken? They are a french creation and are called macarons (one 'o', silent 's'). Macaroons look completely different.

Macarons on the left, macaroons on the right.

4667904005_7ec6c3c92d.jpg

Yeah I watch too many cooking shows. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Googled "macarons" and "macaroons" and both times the same thing came up (pictures). Gosh, they're disgusting looking things!

Yep, I expected Paul to pronounce it correctly at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

dee_mc wrote: »
    http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/dee-mc/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-07/IMAG0355_zpsgk4bvvvg.jpg.html
    My humble effort :)
    Dulce de leche brownies, very dark chocolate brownie with pockets of caramel :)
    Paul would be happy that the centre is still gooey, but disappointed that the edges are a tad overcooked... Biddy would get a fit of giggles and mumble something about textures :D

And you would sit there groning thinking maybe if you just tried a little bit more than a nibble Biddy.. you'd have enjoyed it!
    How did Ali write all that up if it's a challenge - did she do it when it was announced or did she know in advance?

So we handed in Episodes 1-5 before we got there and then 6-8 when we got down there. But yes, all of the recipes were in by week 6.
    Am I the only one who was glad Ali's macaroons didn't work out great as she'd done a course in them.......

Haha! There's always that one person you love to hate on a show right? Being a viewer (and setting aside, knowing Ali like I do,) I would have so been... now that'll learn you! But she's a super baker and so I can't feel like that! :D
    Where was this filmed I like what they did with the marquee

Filmed in Tinakilly Country House in Co. Wicklow. The tent is the same as last year, they just filled it out with more props and stuff, so it does look better this year.

Tracy won... simply delighted! Even though Shane was my favourite throughout, I was glad that Tracy won as her consistency was astounding! Ali was super on the day and rose to the challenge put before her but I don't think she had it like the other two did. Still, she presented a lovely afternoon tea, one I would have gladly tried...

There is one thing that bugged me about the final... we were all there waiting in the wings for them to come out. The judges did their thing, the guys came out and we all went back into the tent for the announcement of the winner and EVERY SINGLE ONE of the showstoppers had been eaten by crew. There were tidbits here and there left... family members saw, for the first time, the creations of their finalists like you and I all did last night! That's not really an anything comment but I think it's a bit rubbish that they weren't told to hold off on scavenging... Right? :confused:

Also Tracy wasn't presented with anything... not even a bunch of flowers? Surely the budget stretched to a bunch of flowers... like the GBBO get a cake plate. Tracy got a handshake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

hazeler wrote: »
    Haha! There's always that one person you love to hate on a show right? Being a viewer (and setting aside, knowing Ali like I do,) I would have so been... now that'll learn you! But she's a super baker and so I can't feel like that! :D

There is one thing that bugged me about the final... we were all there waiting in the wings for them to come out. The judges did their thing, the guys came out and we all went back into the tent for the announcement of the winner and EVERY SINGLE ONE of the showstoppers had been eaten by crew. There were tidbits here and there left... family members saw, for the first time, the creations of their finalists like you and I all did last night! That's not really an anything comment but I think it's a bit rubbish that they weren't told to hold off on scavenging... Right? :confused:

Also Tracy wasn't presented with anything... not even a bunch of flowers? Surely the budget stretched to a bunch of flowers... like the GBBO get a cake plate. Tracy got a handshake!

I liked the three finalists, but Tracy was my out-and-out favourite. There was something so sincere about her, as well as the fact that she came up with some fab stuff throughout.
    I was pleased that her macaroons were way ahead of Ali's. I liked Ali, but the bit about having done the course in macaroons...yep, I was a tiny bit pleased that they didn't look anywhere nearly as good as Tracy's, in the end.
    Sounds like the crew had a great time eating all the stuff. :(
    That's poor that the winner doesn't even get a bouquet of flowers, it would be better than nothing.

Anyway, overall, I enjoyed the show, all contestants should take a bow.

Thanks for the info hazel!!
    Really enjoyed this season, however they do need to get rid of the judges. Delighted for Tracey, I still can't get over her show stopper of the chocolate box to be honest!

I thought the ending felt a bit flat and couldn't put my finger on it. It was the lack of flowers/trophy for the winner ! Wouldn't have killed them to organise something. Thanks for pointing that out Hazeler

I thought the ending felt a bit flat and couldn't put my finger on it. It was the lack of flowers/trophy for the winner ! Wouldn't have killed them to organise something. Thanks for pointing that out Hazeler

Well said jos and also to Haz for letting us into that insight.

Every competition gets some sort of medal/trophy even from the egg and spoon race at sports day.

It was a shame there wasn't a gesture to the Winner......:mad:

It was great to get the gos Haz, thanks so much for that. You did yourself proud as did, indeed, all the other lads. Very best wishes for your baking future!...:) xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Does the winner actually get anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 TracysKitchen

During Bread Week, Paul mentioned that he loved goats cheese...so I added a sliver to my cucumber sandwich to curry a little favour...and torched it to get it a little melty ;-)

During Bread Week, Paul mentioned that he loved goats cheese...so I added a sliver to my cucumber sandwich to curry a little favour...and torched it to get it a little melty ;-)

Hearty Congratulations Tracy!....

You were a well deserved winner. I saw you on TV3 the other morning, you looked fantastic!...

It's lovely of you to come on Boards and talk to us!...

The best of luck with your baking, your "Bow" cake was fantastic!...

I'm delighted for you! GSW xxx :)

You were a well deserved winner. I saw you on TV3 the other morning, you looked fantastic!...

It's lovely of you to come on Boards and talk to us!...

The best of luck with your baking, your "Bow" cake was fantastic!...

Thanks for all the lovely things you guys have been saying...!

When I saw the technical questions and points I thought I should clear them up...dreadful to have an unanswered question hanging out there..!

The Chocolate Box was a wonder...to me as well as the viewers!! It was the first time I had made it in it's entirety and I can tell you the pre-bake stress was severe..!

IrelandAM was a blast and everyone remarked on the 'new hair' - in fact I just had it pinned back for the bakes because I was in mortal fear of presenting Paul with a black hair in his bavarois and being unceremoniously thrown out on my ass!

Aw well done Tracey!was delighted you won. Still can't get over your chocolate box show stopper!amazing! What's next for you?

Oh and fab kitchen by the way...lot of kitchen envy on here :)

Aw well done Tracey!was delighted you won. Still can't get over your chocolate box show stopper!amazing! What's next for you?

Basking in the glory at the minute which should last another day or so hopefully..! I have started to put my recipes on my website/blog and that needs a little work but I'm going to go gently and see what the next few months bring...
    Oh and fab kitchen by the way...lot of kitchen envy on here :)

The kitchen is my haven and the heart of my home...it's fab, but not because of the look of it...!

Honestly, it was a cheap as chips as it's all MDF. I designed it myself on the back of a napkin and found myself an amazing kitchen maker who could see into my head, take the picture and build it - FineDesigns here in Killarney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Congrats on the win! It became quite apparent that you were a level above the rest as the series went on.

jimmii wrote: »
    Congrats on the win! It became quite apparent that you were a level above the rest as the series went on.

Thanks Jimmii, I wouldn't underestimate the talent of the 11 others, and didn't when I was baking because any of them could have taken me out in the right circumstances...brilliant gang, we'll miss the craic in Camp Bake Off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Thanks Jimmii, I wouldn't underestimate the talent of the 11 others, and didn't when I was baking because any of them could have taken me out in the right circumstances...brilliant gang, we'll miss the craic in Camp Bake Off!

So happy that you won Tracy, very well deserved. Best of luck in whatever the future brings you. Delighted for you :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

Ahhhh Tracy!! Welcome to boards!!! So happy you're here! :) the craic at camp bake off was mighty alright, pity we couldn't do that and get paid!! That kitchen would be some laugh! Doubt we'd ever get a tap done however!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Congrats Tracy! I really enjoyed the programme, thought all the contestants were great, you were my favourite to win.
    You have a lovely family too.

I hope winning GIBO is the start of an amazing future for you.

Hi Tracy,
    Welcome to Boards. congratulations on your win. You were truly a deserving winner. Put all us amateur bakers to shame. Bask in the glory as long as you can. you earned that spot.
    Love your kitchen too. May you have many hours of fun in your lovely kitchen with your lovely family. Please post details of your blog here so that we can follow your progress and perhaps attempt some of your creations.
    Up the Kingdom !!

The Chocolate Box was a wonder...to me as well as the viewers!! It was the first time I had made it in it's entirety and I can tell you the pre-bake stress was severe..!

That is just seriously, seriously impressive. Congratulations on the win, Tracy. It's lovely to see such a nice person with such amazing talent winning. I'm super jealous of your kitchen.

Please post details of your blog here so that we can follow your progress and perhaps attempt some of your creations.

You'll find my recipes on TracysKitchen.ie including the ones from the show...have fun!
    Up the Kingdom !!

Up the Kingdom indeed...what a win yesterday...I almost felt sorry for our Cork brethren!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Congratulations, Tracy. I've just checked out your blog. It is amazing!

Tracy delighted to see you on boards. Many many congratulations on your well deserved win, and thank you as well for the details of your website, it is fab, your molten chocolate pots are definitely a must try, as well as many other fab recipies you have given.:):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just bumping to remind people that the Christmas Masterclass of the Great Irish Bake Off is airing this week, Wednesday 17th, at 9pm on TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zenbuffy

The applications for 2015 show close on February 8th. Any budding bakers thinking of applying?

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/its-everyones-ideal-job-corks-lilly-higgins-on-judging-the-great-irish-bake-off/726414/?ref=yfp

Just saw this article now, I don't know the new judge Lilly Higgins, but I'm glad Biddy and her nervous giggle have left the building!

Roll on the 2015 GIBO!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭yellow hen

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/its-everyones-ideal-job-corks-lilly-higgins-on-judging-the-great-irish-bake-off/726414/?ref=yfp

Just saw this article now, I don't know the new judge Lilly Higgins, but I'm glad Biddy and her nervous giggle have left the building!

Roll on the 2015 GIBO!! :)

Sister of Maeve Higgins, the comedienne. She's actually very quirky and personable although I wouldn't have thought she would have enough credibility to be a judge yet. Looking forward to this.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Sister of Maeve Higgins, the comedienne. She's actually very quirky and personable although I wouldn't have thought she would have enough credibility to be a judge yet. Looking forward to this.

:D

I must be living in the ark!!...the Higgin's family has passed me by!

Ah sure, we'll give her a whirl!...:)

I'm glad Anna is on-board, she is perfect for the bake off..

• Advertisement
Advertisement