Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great Irish Bake Off

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Oh man these cakes look woeful as well so far!!!

Interesting those raspberry things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Fionnadh's cake is ambitious

That meringue hand actually looked good

10 mins left! :eek:

They don't seem near that stage at all

Ok I think some of these look better then I thought they would

Sandra and Clare look like they have done well

Is Cathy's scary??? It is more autumnal than Halloween.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The monster is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Some of these cakes seem really small

• Advertisement

Oh jeez here come the bad ones

Oh Damien. Oh dear.

Keep Damien!

Maybe nobody is going? Because Ailish has gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I enjoyed that bit of back and forth there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Better than the coffee cakes ,but not show stoppers by any means...

What!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭memorystick

Damien lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

amdublin wrote: »
    Maybe nobody is going? Because Ailish has gone.

Yeah, I thought that too. Ailish is out because is ill. So why all the suspense at the end?

Jesus, it's borderline comedy this. Looking forward to next week already !

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought that too. So why all the suspense at the end?

Jesus, it's borderline comedy this. Looking forward to next week already !

Anna's timing seems off. The suspense at the end was a tad overdrawn

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Ah, now the cakes aren't great!

The big green ghost was brilliant, but the rest were hit and miss.......

Paul going on about the tempering nearly had me nodding off........fair play to the lad form coming back at him about the hurling "pull harder"............

Gave me a laugh anyway........... :) ...

What sort of mixers are they using did anyone notice? They look like Kenwoods?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I will be on with my review in the morning :( my laptop has died but you can see my extensive one on Snapchat right now if you boardsies use it. Username chongwill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

amdublin wrote: »
    Dee you should enter next year!

I would make a cream pie i week one ad mash it in Paul's begrudging face.
    I would not stand up well in the judging process to be honest, I'm a fairly decent baker but I don't like the style of judging in the programme so I wouldn't put myself in the position!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

Ok here we go…

The technical was a great idea. I think coffee cake was a really good option here. Especially seeing as they are had added elements like ombre, full icing coating and kisses in presentation. This cake was text book. It was cake 101… It’s a coffee cake. Paul was right, will they think it simplistic and get caught up in execution? Yep!! Why did so many of them fail? Lets’ start with basics, they knew they had three tins to get six layers… You need to under-mix before you separate, then add your differing strengths coffee and then mix the batter to fully mixed in three bowls BEFORE you put it in a tin. This way you avoid over mixing which will hamper your rise and give you a dense cake. This isn’t new information they should all have known this. It disappointed me that this was one of their mistakes.

Clare’s cake was the best. Truly and sincerely hers looked better than Lilly’s. Speaking of Lilly’s, Paul’s comment that it wasn’t his “cup of tea, or coffee” was appalling. They are supposed to be a united force, I don’t care he didn’t like her technical, he’s not to flippin’ say it. And then had the cheek to plamas her in the parlour holding up that cross section… which by the way, did anyone else cringe? Like seriously if we handed up a cake as unevenly layered and iced, we’d have been shot at dawn. It wasn’t a great looking IMO, but then she set the bar there and many of them still couldn’t even reach it. I am going to make this one myself this week.. I will let you know how I get on. I want to make sure I am not missing some point..

Now the showstoppers all in theory and pictures looked amazing!! I loved their ideas and the imaginations were fantastic… The minute Darina opened her mouth about spider eggs I knew she was being set up to fall. It was awful and I felt so bad for her. She clearly is a good baker, otherwise she wouldn’t attempt so many elements, but she just couldn’t pull it together. The coffin was a great cake, just a little small and simplistic in decoration but I like the chocolate coffin. Ther was some good tempering there! Fondant is not my thing, at all, so those that attempted it, fair play. That tent is hot. But honest to god, to say that church was anything other than shocking was ridiculous. The lads personality is fab, but his cake was not. NO ONE PUTS FONDANT ON IN STRIPPED SECTIONS… I mean seriously? Clare again showed her skill here. She is clearly competent at multi-elemental cake making. Her piping was beautifully neat, the meringue ghosts and spun sugar were great and she pulled out in front last night! The rest… I was left underwhelmed.

Not forgetting poor Ailish.. Oh wow! I know too well how it feels to be taken out of that tent by paramedics. My heart was pounding for her and I couldn’t really watch someone else going through it! I wish her all the best for the future, making that decision not to come back in is not an easy choice to make…

Over all I was disappointed last night.. I think the judges and Anna were very scripted. I have met Lilly in person and been at demos and she is very likeable and natural. They were very forced last night and I will say it agin, let Anna ad lib. She would be so much more fluid in natural conversation and I think you’d get a richer show…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Very good review and I agree with you on all points... Especially When the judges cake was so poorly made and presented..the show is way to scripted for my likening .. Can't take to Paul at all,he seems very condescending . Lilly is likeable and seems genuine

• Advertisement

Good morning everyone,

So I enjoyed this week's episode but my overall problem is the show seems like it's cobbled together. They have made the set look nice, hired in a suitable replacement for Biddy, the surface of the show looks great essentially. Although upon closer inspection the actual show, the heart of it is a mess.

The technical this week was dreadful for many reasons (I am being quite pedantic I know please bear with me):

1) The judges cake was awful. It was so badly iced on the top with the coffee icing kisses.
    2) The layers were all over the place and uneven. This is the judge's cake for christ sake, it should be perfection.
    3) The snotty remark ( and this is editing ) Paul made pre tasting the cake saying he does not like coffee cake. Then cuts in and tastes it, in front of Lily's face it is delicious and she can stay. That in itself is dreadful editing.
    4) The majority of cakes were badly made, which was disappointing, basically we were shown the disasters.
    5) Some of the cakes were not shown or tasted in the technical.
    6) They supplement the heart of the show for advertising, it's actually ridiculous.
    7) Last one is just me being picky, they make an adult cake when a 17 year old is baking it... I know I know I am being a knob that one.

Next up the Showstopper.

There were some excellent ideas here but by now I am getting annoyed at Paul's condescending attitude.

They cut to Damien, he is making tempered choc, and Paul questions his knowledge about tempering making the poor lad look like an idiot. That is extremely poor in my opinion, the audience get it, you work for a 5 star hotel and work for chocolate brand, do not make the contestant look a buffoon give him a chance.

Some of the showstoppers were good, especially Claire's, Cathy's and imo Sandra's cake. My main gripe is the lack of technical criticism given, its either "nice", "moist" or "great flavour". Why can't the actual bake (remember it is a bake off) be critiqued. I find it so frustrating, and you know you can say "Will turn off if you don't like it" I do like it however, I love the format and I want to see our Irish bakers succeed and show our UK counterparts we are just as good as them. No matter what however our show because of our close proximity to the UK will always be compared to the original.

I also believe there is a complete lack of allowed practice, the UK have so long to prepare for all shows where as I know from my experience it was nearly as small as two weeks if I remember. If the contestants had say 8-10 weeks practice I would bet the majority would produce stunning bakes. At the end of the day in the main you can go on Twitter and people are ripping the p"ss outta of the bakes its completely unfair, I said it last week the production want disasters rather than perfection. That in itself is a complete 180 on the heart of what the show should be imo.

Finally, I felt sorry for Ailish it is nerve wracking, but I strongly believe they should have sent someone home this week. You can tell me it is because it was too close to call, it wasn't, this is not week 6 where the bakers are really getting close in skill. There was a number of bakes this week that should have seen someone go but like last year with Hazel, no one went home as Hazel fell ill ( sorry to be reminding you Hazeler :) ).

I will continue watching and reviewing, and if you want to see me give my thoughts on Snapchat, my snaps will be live till 9pm tonight I think.

Sorry for the ranty review..

Will

Snapchat User: Chongwill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The show is an embarrassment compared to the UK one. Paul is an absolute knob. He's gotten less and less likeable with each series.

Not eliminating anyone was such a cop-out. They should have "saved" that for a week when people were actually impressive and the standard was high.

The show is an embarrassment compared to the UK one. Paul is an absolute knob. He's gotten less and less likeable with each series.

Not eliminating anyone was such a cop-out. They should have "saved" that for a week when people were actually impressive and the standard was high.

Could not agree more with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Chong wrote: »
    Could not agree more with this.
    Theres a strong chance this lot will be sh1te every week though :o

Thargor wrote: »
    Theres a strong chance this lot will be sh1te every week though :o

I hope not :(

• Advertisement

I had a chat with the "serious" bakers today in work and I have to tell you, the comments were a bit too blunt to post.

I'd love to know the process to qualify for this years challenge.

Do you actually bake for a panel?

For my season:

Process was this :

1)Submit lenghty application
    2)Do 2 phone interviews
    3)Do 1 face to face interview with 2 judges, home economist and produced. Describing a bake you bring in.
    4)Live audition where you are given a technical challenge.

Thargor wrote:
    Theres a strong chance this lot will be sh1te every week though

And if they aren't, the show will be edited in such a way as to focus only on their mistakes anyway.
    As Will/Chong has pointed out above, the fatal flaw of the series is that they seem to have gone for more of a bitchy, Come Dine With Me style than the familiar, feel good comaraderie GBBO style that keeps people watching and enjoying the show.
    I was trying to decide last night who I would prefer to see in Paul's place in the judging role, and sadly the answer I came up with is 'virtually anyone'.

I reckon there are plenty out there who could replace him.

Id have Catherine Leyden and Lilly just as a starting point, it does not need to be a bloke and a female judge.

I reckon there are plenty out there who could replace him.

Id have Catherine Leyden and Lilly just as a starting point, it does not need to be a bloke and a female judge.

We've been saying Catherine for ages Chong on this thread, I wonder if she doesn't want to do it? She would be perfect - down to earth with enough personality to be truthful without the plamassing.....It's a competition after all!

Paul is very pedantic about the "sweets" as I'd call it, but you really do need a proper baker there too in the judging process who calls a spade a spade.

I really think you need a bit more talent too....I can't believe this is the best on offer with no disrespect to the competitors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

On the whole, disappointing compared to last year. The talent is not as good. I like the new judge. She is straight-forward and down to earth. Anna Nolan is a treasure.

We've been saying Catherine for ages Chong on this thread, I wonder if she doesn't want to do it? She would be perfect - down to earth with enough personality to be truthful without the plamassing.....It's a competition after all!

Paul is very pedantic about the "sweets" as I'd call it, but you really do need a proper baker there too in the judging process who calls a spade a spade.

I really think you need a bit more talent too....I can't believe this is the best on offer with no disrespect to the competitors...

It's simple he is not a baker, he is a pastry chef and even though they are so close in profession they are gulf apart.

It's simple he is not a baker, he is a pastry chef and even though they are so close in profession they are gulf apart.

Don't we know it, he reminds us every episode.

A good decent baker with half a personalty would put dropkick Paul into the goalposts of life.

I'm not liking the editing of this so far either. Poor Ailish was made to look like she was off to the operating table for major surgery...

I'm not liking the editing of this so far either. Poor Ailish was made to look like she was off to the operating table for major surgery...

When they said she was away for treatment I was like 'Give her a bit of cake! She's probably just wrecked and her blood sugar might be a bit low!' They made it sound like such a ... well I can't spell that word so I'll say pavlova, ye know what I mean!

Don't we know it, he reminds us every episode.

A good decent baker with half a personalty would put dropkick Paul into the goalposts of life.

The thing it is not his fault but he has been shoe horned in to this role to be fair. Anyone would jump at the chance at the mention of such an opportunity. For me though they have the man playing a role and a strange role.

He is amazing, his work is incredible but it does differ to a baker imo, he is on another level to a baker it would seem. That is why it does not suit this show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

The thing it is not his fault but he has been shoe horned in to this role to be fair. Anyone would jump at the chance to mention the opportunity. For me though they have man playing a role and a strange role.

He is amazing, his work is incredible but it does differ to a baker imo, he is on another level to a baker it would seem. That is why it does not suit this show.

I'd tend to agree, he lectured me in College. He's an unbelievable pastry chef (and a cracking baker btw), he's just not suited imo. Paul Hollywood for GIBO ftw!

Oh completely he is an unbelievable baker but his skill level is geared in a different direction, if that makes sense.

If you pitted Hollywood vs Paul Kelly, and said make X, I would suspect they would turn out very different results.

That is not a bad thing, but the show is flat out baking, what Paul does is intricate amazing patisserie.

the show is flat out baking, what Paul does is intricate amazing patisserie.

Nail on head there Chong....

I hope you're doing well in your career, it seems like ages ago you were in Arnotts! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Oh completely he is an unbelievable baker but his skill level is geared in a different direction, if that makes sense.

If you pitted Hollywood vs Paul Kelly, and said make X, I would suspect they would turn out very different results.

That is not a bad thing, but the show is flat out baking, what Paul does is intricate amazing patisserie.

Completely agree with this

Neil is a bit of a character.....I'll try the coffin some day I suppose!...;)

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/my-great-irish-bake-off-halloween-showstopper-1.2411950

I don't really remember the Phantom being in a coffin though?....He was in a boat for a while all right!!

For my season:

Process was this :

1)Submit lenghty application
    2)Do 2 phone interviews
    3)Do 1 face to face interview with 2 judges, home economist and produced. Describing a bake you bring in.
    4)Live audition where you are given a technical challenge.

My season was:
    1. Online application
    2. Phone interview
    3. Online Q&A interview
    4. Phone interview
    5. Bring your bake to face to face with Biddy, Paul, and two producers.
    6. Live audition with technical.

I'm not sure what the format for this year was but I know they had trouble getting sponsorship and delays in getting applicants also.

I don't necessarily think that the all the bakers are bad.. I think the edit is awful and it is showing them to be bad.. as opposed to mediocre vs good vs great.. I really do think that as we lose people the standard will come up. Like Clare and Cathy have some brilliant ideas, Clare clearly showed she can deliver, now she has to keep on delivering.

What gets to me, (and I don't know if it's the same for Chong) but stuff that we got chastised for last year, being left through this year.. And I know that's down to editing too, but I think each season needs to be a better version of the last. The episode on Sunday was not better than any of my season and I am going to say season one also. I'm not sure I am making sense either, but I just think it has to get better.

Next week is bread.. My nemesis. I am looking forward to this.. :D

hazeler wrote: »
    My season was:
    What gets to me, (and I don't know if it's the same for Chong) but stuff that we got chastised for last year, being left through this year.. And I know that's down to editing too, but I think each season needs to be a better version of the last. The episode on Sunday was not better than any of my season and I am going to say season one also. I'm not sure I am making sense either, but I just think it has to get better.

Next week is bread.. My nemesis. I am looking forward to this.. :D

Then they come out with nuggets pre screening each year saying the standard is far far better. I guess they have to flog it, at the end of the day its nowhere near GBBO, it is simply a vehicle for selling advertising especially flour and margarine.

Sorry that sounded cold but I think that's what it is, the dynamic is not there of the original show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Good morning everyone,
    <...>1) The judges cake was awful. It was so badly iced on the top with the coffee icing kisses.
    I don't blame her. she has a small baby and other two kids running around at home. I bet she made it at home keeping one eye on that naughty bunch.
    <...>5) Some of the cakes were not shown or tasted in the technical.
    have you tried watching american version of the bake off? :pac: I put it on last night (youtube) and I was like OMG-WTF? honestly, if you blink at the wrong moment you miss how the bake looks like, it's that fast. Half of the bakes weren't shown or tasted. Paul Holywood is in it but that doesn't help...
    hazeler wrote: »
    Ok here we go…

The technical was a great idea. I think coffee cake was a really good option here. Especially seeing as they are had added elements like ombre, full icing coating and kisses in presentation. This cake was text book. It was cake 101…
    <...> I am going to make this one myself this week.. I will let you know how I get on.
    <...>
    Thanks for the baking tips Hazel.
    Is it just me but I can't find the recipe for coffee cake on GIBO website? I could be just me, blind bat..

j@utis wrote: »
    I don't blame her. she has a small baby and other two kids running around at home. I bet she made it at home keeping one eye on that naughty bunch.

have you tried watching american version of the bake off? :pac: I put it on last night (youtube) and I was like OMG-WTF? honestly, if you blink at the wrong moment you miss how the bake looks like, it's that fast. Half of the bakes weren't shown or tasted. Paul Holywood is in it but that doesn't help...

Is it just me but I can't find the recipe for coffee cake on GIBO website? I could be just me, blind bat..

HAHA and that is why they cancelled the US Bake Off, abysmal viewing and overall mess that it was.

• Advertisement

j@utis wrote: »

I couldn't find it either... but I also gave up looking pretty quickly because I know they (TV3) will tweet the link at some stage.

I want to bake coffee donuts though.. they are kind of the same thing right? :D

Advertisement