Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great Irish Bake Off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭memorystick

They should have used Stork!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

wyrn wrote: »
    Oh no, I feel so sorry for them.

I know I'm not a baker but I would have thought a swiss roll would have been fairly basic (outside of the extra details). All of the swiss rolls were terrible. I'm sorry to all the contestants but I'm really doubting the standard of baking here. I understand being under pressure for the technical but it's only a swiss roll. It's not something that no one has ever heard of before like in GBBO.

It's just cream - just whip it. Not under or over. Just whipped cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I like the look of the Baileys cake that Louise the Stork lady made! Bet it tastes great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I made a better swiss roll for my junior cert home ec practical!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Paul's "applause", hahaha!

I'm loving the comedy. It's a shoddy shoddy production. Great work tv3 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

They were bad alright.

But I hate the way Paul talks to them like they're a load of 14 year olds in school who just weren't arsed to do some huge homework project over a bank holiday weekend.

Paul Hollywood would have some sort of sympathy with them. This lad is a bit of a prat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Ah lads and these are the best bakers from everyone you went for the show ...what in the name of God were the ones who did not make onto the show like....
    That's was not a hard bake,shocking to be producing that muck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Red Kev wrote: »
    They were bad alright.

But I hate the way Paul talks to them like they're a load of 14 year olds in school who just weren't arsed to do some huge homework project over a bank holiday weekend.

Paul Hollywood would have some sort of sympathy with them. This lad is a bit of a prat.

In fairness, Paul Hollywood would have sent them all home and then quit baking forever if he'd seen those swiss rolls.

Yes you were second out of a big load of rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I get the impression from watching GBBO and the French equivalent that the contestants practice a lot in the days between the weekends. This crowd's attitude to it is so odd though, like its just a huge laugh. The conferring drives me insane too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Who are they trying to cod ....letting on it's done over the two days...the whole production is a joke..

I get the impression from watching GBBO and the French equivalent that the contestants practice a lot in the days between the weekends. This crowd's attitude to it is so odd though, like its just a huge laugh. The conferring drives me insane too.

I think the Irish one is on a much tighter schedule though. I don't think they have a week between episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

harr wrote: »
    Ah lads and these are the best bakers from everyone you went for the show ...what in the name of God were the ones who did not make onto the show like....
    That's was not a hard bake,shocking to be producing that muck...

A friend of mine got to the last 36. She wouldn't have gone on it anyway for family reasons, but she said they were looking for certain people and personalities rather than the best bakers. She is afabulous baker, but knew she wouldn't get through as she's not the best at interacting with the camera.

There were better bakers than her at the audition who didn't get through, and worse ones who did.

If you look at the people, they are almost the same as GBBO.

We have a granny, young working mother, gay fella, modern man, very young female, etc etc.

Blame TV3.

Yer wan who won the technical is some way better than the others.

Shredded Wheat and chocolate!!! Oh no

I think the Irish one is on a much tighter schedule though. I don't think they have a week between episodes.

Oh OK, that makes a lot of sense. No one seems to have improved at all really in the last fortnight.

A friend of mine got to the last 36. She wouldn't have gone on it anyway for family reasons, but she said they were looking for certain people and personalities rather than the best bakers. She is afabulous baker, but knew she wouldn't get through as she's not the best at interacting with the camera.

There were better bakers than her at the audition who didn't get through, and worse ones who did.

We have a granny, young working mother, gay fella, modern man, very young female, etc etc.

Blame TV3.

Yes I think Clare is miles ahead than the others. And she seems to be taking it seriously.

Blame TV3.

Eh they're some labels you've got there!!! Gay fella???? And you know that how?? (and who even cares!)

harr wrote: »
    Who are they trying to cod ....letting on it's done over the two days...the whole production is a joke..

I reckon it's an episode a day - morning the tech challenge, afternoon the showstopper.

One episode done Saturday, Another episode on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Yes I think Clare is miles ahead than the others. And she seems to be taking it seriously.

Definitely, and up until this week I thought Cathy was up there too. This definitely isn't her week so far.

:mad:
    What's with all the healthy stuff??? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

The ideas are great but it's in the execution that it all goes t*** up!

Oh dear James you didn't really sell it there

Definitely, and up until this week I thought Cathy was up there too. This definitely isn't her week so far.

Is she making the healthy chocolate this week? With the "super foods"

What are you doing here?

I'm doing a big mess Anna.

Oh lovely.

• Advertisement

Surely the box element is crucial, given the title? Odd decisions being made...

Is she making the healthy chocolate this week? With the "super foods"

Yep, that's her. I can't see the Shredded Wheat nest looking that good.

Yep, that's her. I can't see the Shredded Wheat nest looking that good.

And it's some muddle of flavours too

I'm having a vodka. I was going to have a hot chocolate to go with chocolate week but this show has driven me to drink.

Wash your hands contestants!!

• Advertisement

Why do they even have microwaves with grill settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Microwaves have a grill setting????

Not looking great. Again.

Why didn't Sandra pipe the faces on?!

Why do they even have microwaves with grill settings?
    wyrn wrote: »
    Microwaves have a grill setting????

yeah a lot of modern ones are grill/oven combos. But Toto W is right why do they have them??

I assumed she would pipe on the faces given how she was describing them, then she knifes them out!

I assumed she would pipe on the faces given how she was describing them, then she knifes them out!

Shockingly bad.

Neil you little smarty pants!

Neil's box reminds me of the maths set tin pencil cases we had in school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Absolutely ridiculous that you don't have to make the box. Either you all bring boxes or you all make boxes.

• Advertisement

Clare's looks great, she's going to win today I reckon

Clare is definitely star baker this week

OK Fíonnadh should be heavily penalised for completely ignoring the name of the challenge, i.e. a BOX!

No box is a joke. It was called the selection box showstopper, no? Clare has to get the star baker.

If you don't present a box you need to be sent home. It won't happen though because just like in GBBO they don't seem to care whether people follow the brief or not.

Absolutely ridiculous that you don't have to make the box. Either you all bring boxes or you all make boxes.

Well said.

OK Fíonnadh should be heavily penalised for completely ignoring the name of the challenge, i.e. a BOX!

And Neil bringing one

The jewelry box doesn't seem right at all to be honest.

Clare is definitely star baker this week

Which one is Clare? :o The redhead?

• Advertisement

This is a joke. I thought the brief for chocolate week bake is to have a chocolate box. feel a little duped. It's pretty bad that quite a few brought in a box instead of making one

Advertisement