Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great Irish Bake Off

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Lily is on live twitter chat after the show #AskLillyGIBO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

It's a sponge cake with some pineapple on top. If they don't know how to make a basic sponge without a recipe then they shouldn't be there.
    When you put it that way, it seems simple. I don't know, I thought there was something more to it.

Maybe Paul is expecting the pineapple rings to be cut to a certain mm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Product placement is just unreal. I hate the taste of margarine in bakes, being forced to use it instead of butter because of sponsorship is a bit of a joke.

Is Pineapple upside down cake not very retro and a little bit naff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Neil's spiel about not taking it seriously until now...and then he makes one cake and walks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Lily is on live twitter chat after the show #AskLillyGIBO

I don't do the twitter machine Baby....

Let me know if if it explodes...................;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I see extra cherries being used in between pineapple slices... Paul won't stand for that, he'll probably pick them out and fire them across the room and stamp his feet in a tantrum...

Claire's looks great.....oh James' does too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

They've stork coming out the woozoo and they are still sticking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Product placement is just unreal. I hate the taste of margarine in bakes, being forced to use it instead of butter because of sponsorship is a bit of a joke.

I hate margarine. Butter all the time in my baking.

• Advertisement

Lisha wrote: »

The smell of it Lisha...

It reminds me of when we were poor as a child....:o

Meant to say earlier, the sample cake Lily and Paul tasted looked rather dense! Most of the bakes so far have looked better

Margarine is cooked up in a Chemistry Lab. Butter all the way for me.

Are you supposed to caramelise pineapples in frying pan first or not?

The blonde girl from Limerick did well there - how did her Pecan cake go down with the judges?
    In fact most of them did well considering the challenge

Thus bake tested your composure?
    Wtf??

Fionnadh comes first after getting all the tips from James...

Fionnadh is too smug for my liking

Wtf??

Next week there'll be a challenge to test their deportment, probably :D

• Advertisement

Neil will probably go. I think Paul doesn't like him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I think they'll send Sandra home but it should be Clare for not following the brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Wtf??
    Composure and endurance - yeah right Paul.

I could have judged that lads............

Just saying....

I like a nice cake.

It'd be interesting to see the judges have to bake along for the technical under the same circumstances and ingredients and recipe... I think that'd show the judges up a fair bit.

Cathy really wants to do well in this I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

And the least bad baker this week is....

Hope Clare pulls it back together next week. Not too gone on Cathy to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

dee_mc wrote: »
    The blonde girl from Limerick did well there - how did her Pecan cake go down with the judges?
    In fact most of them did well considering the challenge

I'm going to tip her to win it.

Claire was the worst one today, she should have gone. Didn't do the first challenge, 6th in the second one.

Didn't want to ask earlier but what was the spoiler in the tabloids?

Neil will probably go. I think Paul doesn't like him

I'm surprised it's Sandra. Aw I'll miss her. I liked her.

• Advertisement

My top 3 at the moment are Claire, Cathy and James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I think Emer is very good as well, she's very consistent and the judges always seem to love her flavours.

Turtle_ wrote: »
    I think Emer is very good as well, she's very consistent and the judges always seem to love her flavours.

Which one is Emer?

Maybe I have her name wrong! The strawberry blonde girl from Limerick. She's at the back of the tent.

Didn't want to ask earlier but what was the spoiler in the tabloids?

As I posted earlier, I didn't see last week but I saw this tonight and it was online dated yesterday...:confused:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/watch-great-irish-bake-off-drama-as-contestant-flees-the-tent-in-tears-after-macaroon-messup-34221957.html?ffdddfddf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭phormium

I haven't made a pineapple upside down cake since about 1980, not a very interesting cake, tinned pineapple and glace cherries were very fancy in the 80s. Oops, sorry glacier cherries as per the recipe in the break from Louise Lennox for Stork :) Does anyone proof read that stuff, surely she knows they meant glace cherries.

phormium wrote: »
    I haven't made a pineapple upside down cake since about 1980, not a very interesting cake, tinned pineapple and glace cherries were very fancy in the 80s. Oops, sorry glacier cherries as per the recipe in the break from Louise Lennox for Stork :) Does anyone proof read that stuff, surely she knows they meant glace cherries.

Part of the reason I don't eat cherries ever.....ever...

The plasticine of the tubs....

Ugh, the plastic puddings...:(

My mum used to make pineapple upside down cake in the early nineties when we were little and even then it was presented as something really basic... hard to get wrong... lining the tin is the most difficult bit really!
    Using margarine and displaying it as product placement is a new low for GIBO though, tacky as all hell!

Okay, so my mum has actually decided that she wants a pineapple upside-down cake made for her book club. Anyone have any tried and tested recipes?

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Okay, so my mum has actually decided that she wants a pineapple upside-down cake made for her book club. Anyone have any tried and tested recipes?

I'll have a look at my All In The Cooking books for ya, proper retro book for a proper retro recipe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I gave up, a sponge for the tech challenge and the chat is still bugging the **** out of me...I know the bakers can only do what they are asked to.
    Also the out door clothes over the aprons it looks shocking and dirty...

dee_mc wrote: »
    I'll have a look at my All In The Cooking books for ya, proper retro book for a proper retro recipe :)

Right so nothing in All In The Cooking or our ancient Hamlyn cookery book (one of Mary Berry's earlier works) but here's the recipe we used in the nineties, from a Good Housekeeping book first published in 1962 :)

150g/6oz butter or block margarine
    50g/2oz soft dark brown sugar
    227g/8oz can pineapple rings, drained
    2 glace cherries, halved
    100g/4oz caster sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    175g/6oz self-raising flour
    30-45ml/2-3 tbsp pineapple juice or milk

1. Grease and base line an 18cm (7 inch) round cake tin. Cream together 50g/2oz butter and the brown sugar and spread evenly over the bottom of the tin. Arrange the pineapple rings and cherries on this layer in the bottom of the tin. * From memory, that size tin would only fit 4 pineapple rings!
    2. Cream together the remaining butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the beaten egg, a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour, adding some pineapple juice or milk to give a smooth dropping consistency, then spread the mixture on top of the pineapple rings.
    3. Bake in the oven at 180 C (gas mark 4) for about 45 minutes. *I'd imagine you could reduce that temperature to 165 or 170 if you're using a fan oven!
    4. Turn out onto a warmed serving dish and serve warm. *Also lovely cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭memorystick

And that's news!

I was having a look at what people on Twitter have been saying about tonight's show and having read this (and what Chong said earlier in this thread) I feel terribly sorry for Clare now. I still think that she should have realised when she was deciding what to make that macarons didn't suit the brief but the she's not entirely to blame.

https://twitter.com/clareryanrydane/status/668543951075418112

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I don't know. Do you really need someone to specifically tell you that biscuits aren't a cake? :confused:

I don't know. Do you really need someone to specifically tell you that biscuits aren't a cake? :confused:

I totally agree, but why did the show let her go ahead with it if they have told people (Chong) in past seasons that they had to choose something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Only caught the show for the first time tonight. Right person eliminated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Poor Clare looked a wreck by the end of the show. i felt really sorry for her. Glad she was not eliminated - though she did come close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Bloody hell. Thank god for this thread, I've just started reading it. I had been watching GIBO the last few weeks (have never watched it or the English version before, I'm a Masterchef kinda gal) but holy mother of god ... Is this show just a piss take or is it supposed to be a serious competition? Most of the bakers on it seem useless, like they just picked a few randoms who happened to be in the vicinity on the day they started filming. Which ties in with what another poster said here that they were picking people based on "personality" rather than baking skills (of which they have little). That's such a joke - it's not like X Factor where they need personality as well, this is just a show about baking! Aghhhhh.

It really gives off a vibe off a bunch of school kids in a Home Economics class, just plodding along and then all helping each other! What was that about?! And then the (excuse the pun) icing on the cake was when yer man from Dublin rocked up with this big feck off jewellery box for his chocolate selection box!!! And then Paul saying "oh of course if the box was made out of chocolate that would be stepping up a level" :rolleyes: I have zero respect for Paul after this. The whole thing is just a farce. I actually feel sorry for the contestants because it's just cringeworthy tv now, I just feel embarrassed for them.

Sorry, rant over! Glad I got that off my chest :pac:

Advertisement