Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Irish Bake Off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Pang wrote: »
    There needs to be more life in the show and also in Paul. He seems very nice but he could have been tougher. There needs to be more challenges.

Contestants in Britain seem more aware who the judges are,
    and when presenting their bakes seemed to show this,
    here it was too informal/palsy walsy-no sense of fear ....if ya get my drift......

I wonder do we have more high profile judges who would have worked better??

Darina Allen????(just a suggestion!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'm not sure the Judges have the "presence" like a Mary Berry or the Silver Fox....

They are quite placid about the whole "This is a competition" thing.......

It's a bit like your neighbours judging your cake in the cake sale.......

There needs to be more life in the show and also in Paul. He seems very nice but he could have been tougher. .

He's no Silver Fox I give ya that............

I'm not sure the Judges have the "presence" like a Mary Berry or the Silver Fox....

They are quite placid about the whole "This is a competition" thing.......

It's a bit like your neighbours judging your cake in the cake sale.......

presence was the word I was missing!

The judging of the technical challenge was weird. Why didn't they rank them from 12 to 1 rather than jumping to random numbers? Didn't make sense.

They told us who was 11th, then 12th, then we jumped to 2nd and 1st. Really confusing :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Underwhelming is the word I would choose to describe the show overall after tonight.

I think that you were very kind.

I haven't watched the UK one but I'm afraid I had to bow out after the cupcakes because they had lost me by that stage.
    Definitely didn't make me hungry either. All the cupcakes looked like the kind of muck you have to politely endure at kids parties. I expected to at least be impressed with what they produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 storatory

That genoise cake looked really hard, fair play to them, I wouldn't have a clue, felt sorry for that young girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

What's the show stopper? (I've never seen the British version.)

storatory wrote: »
    That genoise cake looked really hard, fair play to them, I wouldn't have a clue, felt sorry for that young girl.

I hope she is proud of herself, she was great at 17 to go there, good for her..:)

She will take away with her a great experience out of this I'm sure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I had to laugh at this.
    17 year old, start of show:
    "I hope I can just prove to everyone that I shouldn't be judged by my age"

End of show:
    "I think I did really well for my age".

:pac:

She did well, in fairness to her. I'm not a big cupcake fan but a lot fo work went into hers.

Overall, the shows lacks the drama of the British one and the lack of a showstopper is sorely missed.

The product placement and ads were annoying too, even though I get tv3 has to pay for this somehow.

I did like the ad for foundation:
    "No cake for me!"

• Advertisement

What's the show stopper? (I've never seen the British version.)
    On any given week, say "bread week" or "cake week", etc, they are given free reign to do a show-stopper piece. Usually given 4 hours to make something very elaborate and decorated and individual to them. It really gives people a chance to shine.

If the Irish version continues this format, all the contestants will always be making pretty much the same thing as each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

As far as I know, there's only going to be a show stopper every second week (only 2 challenges every show, they'll rotate them), because of the need for ads.

I only saw the second half of the show. Their cakes all looked terrible.

Anyone else think the title (The Great Irish Bake Off) is a little weird - I always thought that "The Great British Bake Off" referred to Great Britain?

Eeden wrote: »
    Anyone else think the title (The Great Irish Bake Off) is a little weird - I always thought that "The Great British Bake Off" referred to Great Britain?
    Yeah, it doesn't sound right.

I was trying to think what would sound more natural but couldn't come up with anything.

I dunno, Bake-off Ireland?

But they may have had to purchase the name as part of the GBBO's brand. They're using the same music and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Two challenges every show is not going to add much spice to the show. I'm uber disappointed to hear this.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It was all a bit pedestrian and the judges were way too soft, rather than instilling mild terror like Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood do. There was absolutely no tension building up in the show, and only having two challenges probably means that this will continue to be the case. Given all the build-up, TV3 really needed to do better than this, even if it meant making it a 90 minute show to get the third challenge in. I can't see myself watching this for too much longer unless it improves dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

It would be great if there was a website with all the recipies they are using.

cofy wrote: »
    It would be great if there was a website with all the recipies they are using.

tv3 said they'd have them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Thy should definitely have made it a 90 minute show, like they did with the Apprentice. It means you have as much as the UK version, and time for the ads too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Absolutely CRINGED watching this pile of tripe tonight.

I am a huge fan of The Great British Bake-Off and had high hopes for our own version.
    So where shall I start with this monstrosity?

Firstly, who the HELL are these judges? Seriously, get rid of them.

Anna Nolan is desperately dull and brings nothing to the show.

When the judges were tasting the cakes and saying "I like this", the contestants could be heard saying "Do you like it?"
    Irritating.

The judges hadn't a CLUE how to judge; I was embarrassed for them.

They said every cake was delicious or moist (how many times can you use the same word?!) and they didn't give anyone a bad word.

Most of the cakes were a mess and I couldn't believe it when no comment was made on some of them.

The judges also failed to give their opinions on 90% of the cakes' appearance.

Paul was doing most of the talking; that Biddy woman was just gurning along with him, repeatedly talking about the CRUNCH.

They need to take a serious look at the flawlessly put-together British Bake-Off and start again.

Also, those "Sophie Morris from Kooky Dough" excerpts after each ad were extremely irritating.

All in all, this was a travesty and that's me done watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Just watched it online, still had to endure the ads. Wasn't really impressed by the standard of baking bar one or two. They showstoppers is definitely missed as it really separates the wheat from the chaff.
    If the judges are just going to tell everyone they are great week after week, whats the point. Thats the best part of GBB, when you see their little faces light up like a beacon cos Paul and Mary liked their bake.

• Advertisement

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Just watched it online, still had to endure the ads. Wasn't really impressed by the standard of baking bar one or two. They showstoppers is definitely missed as it really separates the wheat from the chaff.
    If they judges are just going to tell everyone they are great week after week, whats the point. Thats the best part of GBB, when you see their little faces light up like a beacon cos they Paul and Mary liked their bake.

Totally agree.
    It was almost like the judges were afraid to criticise.

That Biddy one was uber annoying; she has absolutely no personality and hardly spoke at all, except to say how much she liked the crunch.

Most of those cakes were diabolical but they got praised.
    This whole thing is just embarrassing really.

Can't wait for Tuesday to see how it's really done on BBC2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Lads any questions I will help tomorrow allay some of your thoughts if I can on the Cooking club thread.

Chong wrote: »
    Lads any questions I will help tomorrow allay some of your thoughts if I can on the Cooking club thread.

Fair play to you Chong, the very best of luck to you!....:):):)

Least support my travesties come on Fussyonion :)

Thanks you so much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Well done Will/Chong!

Judges WAAAY too nice for my liking. There wasn't enough critique! How are the bakers supposed to learn and improve and how am I supposed to enjoy the show without the bitch comments about poor bakes, doughy textures and under-proving (I know we're not on bread yet but ye know what I mean!!!)

Chong wrote: »
    Least support my travesties come on Fussyonion :)

No no, in fairness Chong, your cakes looked great, especially your Black Forest cupcakes.

And I'm not knocking you; I think you're going to do very well because I can see you have a passion for it.

I'm slating the Irish version of this show; the whole thing is just very lacklustre and the judges are not criticising blatantly badly produced cakes.

There's just no atmosphere for me so I wont be watching but I do sincerely wish you all the best!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I think this should be on the reality t.v forum, dont get me wrong i love my food and i i have a very sweet tooth.

I think this should be on the reality t.v forum, dont get me wrong i love my food and i i have a very sweet tooth.

See the start of the thread JJ, it's on its way to the Reality TV thread!....:):)

I was starving after watching those cakes......and the cupboard is bare as they say......:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Sorry Johnjo - that was my fault. I opened the thread in the wrong forum:o:o. I'll bake you a cake to make it up to you, it might not be as good as many of the cakes seen tonight:(

Advertisement