Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Irish Bake Off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

cofy wrote: »
    Sorry Johnjo - that was my fault. I opened the thread in the wrong forum:o:o. I'll bake you a cake to make it up to you, it might not be as good as many of the cakes seen tonight:(

That's charming, I didn't get any offer of a cake all night!....:D:D:D:P

And I bet your sponge was a million times better than that Special K goo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

cofy wrote: »
    Sorry Johnjo - that was my fault. I opened the thread in the wrong forum:o:o. I'll bake you a cake to make it up to you, it might not be as good as many of the cakes seen tonight:(

Oh no worries, i wanted to watch this tonight but i was out, must catch up on it on the player. Didnt mean to be a stickler:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

That's charming, I didn't get any offer of a cake all night!....:D:D:D:P

And I bet your sponge was a million times better than that Special K goo!

You will get to choose your cake. How about an after eight cheesecake? I promise you can have your cake and eat it.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭carrick79

I've just watched and I was impressed with the standard of baking during the cupcake stage, it was way better than I expected. But the show as a whole was a bit of a let down unfortunately.

The judges were annoying and way too nice. No showstopper!!! I mean, come on. WTF :eek: It was really slow and boring. I sky plussed it, thank God, don't think I could handle all the ads otherwise.

Also, the technical challenge instructions included oven temp and time etc. The British version keeps these instructions as basic as possible to test the bakers skill. I'm not a baker but give me a full list like they had I'm sure I could make a decent fist of it.

And I miss Sue and Mel :o:o

I was happy that Laura got the boot though, her confidence going into the technical challenge set her up for a major fall :D

I'll probably watch again next week but unless it improves dramatically then I can't see myself sticking around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Morning all answering questions the cooking club if you want to ask and if I can answer :)

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    No no, in fairness Chong, your cakes looked great, especially your Black Forest cupcakes.

And I'm not knocking you; I think you're going to do very well because I can see you have a passion for it.

I'm slating the Irish version of this show; the whole thing is just very lacklustre and the judges are not criticising blatantly badly produced cakes.

There's just no atmosphere for me so I wont be watching but I do sincerely wish you all the best!

I hear you FussyOnion and I understand where you are coming from. Even as myself a contestant I would be thrown by the format and setting. I guess everything on our show was on a tight budget unlike some other countries who would be funded by the state like the Beeb for example.

I think judges wise, Biddy has to try and play a part in some way but Paul in fairness to the man has been plucked from obscurity to be on the show, and as the show progresses I am sure he will grow in to the role. The man is a gent and a genius. I think the show needs a little time, so please Fussy dont give up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

I am a GBBO fan, and I watched this last night.

Overall it wasnt as good as the GBBO, but it wasn't too bad either. I do think Tv3 and most irish cooking shows need to invest a bit more money into it. Get the guys proper mixers, some some decent bowls. Like those blue plastic ikea bowls are rubbish for baking in as the plastic is to light. Also get the guys some proper mixers. Dont have to be huge expensive kitchen aid ones.

Also what I liked about the GBBO was that they also give you the history of the baking that's gong on in the episode.

Paul and Biddy needs to be more critical, its no point them liking everything, even in the cupcake round they didn't really have anything critical to say about anything, even some of the cakes that looked a mess. Then in the technical challenge and the cake that was not baked it was hardly mentioned. Anna Nolan wasnt too bad, I wonder was she trying to be like Mel and Sue or if she actually is a bit funny.

The impression I got was that they were all given full instructions on what to do in the technical challenge, where as in the GBBO the guys are given basic instructions and they have to go back to their baking knowledge to try and work out how long to cook things or the methods required for making the cake etc.

Also what was the obsession with the crunch layer!

The adds did annoy me tho.

the-ging wrote: »
    I am a GBBO fan, and I watched this last night.

Overall it wasnt as good as the GBBO, but it wasn't too bad either. I do think Tv3 and most irish cooking shows need to invest a bit more money into it. Get the guys proper mixers, some some decent bowls. Like those blue plastic ikea bowls are rubbish for baking in as the plastic is to light. Also get the guys some proper mixers. Dont have to be huge expensive kitchen aid ones.

Couldn't agree more ging, the Ikea bowls are brutal, the glass one is not good for any sort of baking/mixing, it's to small at the botton, it's more of a fruit bowl (I have one), the blue are only good for whipping cream and the mixers look like the old Kenwood Chef my sister had in the 70's.....

Couldn't agree more ging, the Ikea bowls are brutal, the glass one is not good for any sort of baking/mixing, it's to small at the botton, it's more of a fruit bowl (I have one), the blue are only good for whipping cream and the mixers look like the old Kenwood Chef my sister had in the 70's.....

Its all relative really, I would mix what I make using anything available, fancy mixers, bowls etc are a nice to have in my opinion.

For the past 4 years I have used a 6.99 handheld electric whisk from tesco, still works and does the job. A true baker will be able to produce some good no matter what equipment they are provided.

Also as I just said on twitter your best implement for mixing is your hand especially when it comes to folding.

Chong wrote: »
    Its all relative really, I would mix what I make using anything available, fancy mixers, bowls etc are a nice to have in my opinion.

For the past 4 years I have used a 6.99 handheld electric whisk from tesco, still works and does the job. A true baker will be able to produce some good no matter what equipment they are provided.

Also as I just said on twitter your best implement for mixing is your hand especially when it comes to folding.

That's true for sure, I was the Ikea dream when it opened and I still go back to the Tupperware bowl I have for what seems like a hundred years!!:):)

I think though a new oven is difficult to gage, I've tried cooking in different houses and nothing ever comes out like at home!....I have mixer envy from all the productions I see on TV!!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

the-ging wrote: »
    Also what was the obsession with the crunch layer!
    I would assume that Special K had a hand in sponsorship, they had ads on during the breaks anyway.

One little thing that annoyed me was (and correct me if I'm wrong) that they didn't show the marks for everyone in the technical challenge and the ones they did award didn't go from 12 to 1, just random numbers.

It was confusing, especially when you're still trying to put a name to everyone.

For some reason that happened with the first one but not the second one I believe.

I didnt realise Special K were advertised during the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I was really excited at the prospect of a Great Irish Bake-Off. Unfortunately I found myself comparing most of the time with the GBBO.

For one thing, they seemed very cramped for space. Maybe, as some people leave, that will not be a problem.

I did find the contestants far too gabby with the judges. Most of them would be better say nothing because they mumbled their words, and speeded over whole phrases, so that you would think they left out parts of sentences.

Anna Nolan did well, IMO. She, as she admitted herself, was a little nervous at the beginning, but I think as time goes on, she will gain in confidence and improve all the time. I'm so glad she doesn't squawk the word "Bake!", as the do in the GBBO. I've always found that intensely irritating. Overall I think Anna did a very good job.

Re the judges, I agree with most of what has been said above. I like Biddy, as a person, but I do think she came across a bit BLAH as a judge. Am not impressed with the choice of judges. I think the producers needed to get people who already have a presence in the Foodie department on TV. Easier said than done, maybe!

I was impressed by the passion and commitment of the contestants. Pity about Laura! Maybe she was too young to be put under such pressure, despite her obvious talent as a baker.

Having said all of that, I will be watching every show. :) It's early days yet, and it is a first for Ireland. I'm sure as time passes, everybody will settle more into the show and become more at ease and confident with the format. Will be rooting for Will, of course!

Have actually saved my recording of the show, so that I can have a second look! Am so looking forward to next episode! :D

Chong, do you have any tips/advice on how to decorate cakes, or are there youtube vidoes or books that you could recommend?

I dont as it happens but can recommend two good sites for cakes etc

www.foodgawker.com

www.tastespotting.com

Oh and also Pinterest is great for decoration ideas.

Thanks Chong, these sites are brilliant, way you can save your favouite recipies its like have the best ever cookery book at your finger tips.

Have watched it a 2nd time. Amazing what you can see when you do that! The stars, for me are Anna Nolan and Judge Paul. Anna's diction is perfect - you can make out every word. Same goes for Paul.

You can see by Paul that he really is looking into the results. The cake is his creation, and he's taking no prisoners as regards standards. It seems like Biddy, with all due respects, is just there to taste and have a laugh. "How's she cuttin'?", etc. Unlike Mary Berry, who is meticulous, re the results, and has created a lot of the recipes to exacting standards, you don't get that vibe from Biddy. Having said that, I have bought Biddy's book on "Foraging", and have enjoyed it. Let's see how things go next week.

Re Laura, watching it for a second time, you can see how she set herself up for a fall. Self-confidence is great, but a little humility, wouldn't have gone amiss! :p

Also, what I noticed, was the terrible selection of bowls and utensils, which others here have remarked on already. Especially the bowl they used for beating the egg-whites - it looked ridiculous! It seemed like there were areas in the bottom of it that the beater would not reach.

Having said all of that, I must admit I enjoyed it just as much 2nd time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

I'd agree with many of the sentiments expressed here. I accept that it's never going to match up to the UK version. I was enjoying the show until I realised that the showstopper challenge had been dropped, leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Apparently the technical bake and showstopper challenges will be alternated, so one of these will be included every second episode. It doesn't seem like enough to judge the contestants on.

The Special K thing seemed amateurish.

The judges seemed a bit bland, I thought Anna Nolan was ok though. Will be recording in future to skip the irritating Kooky Dough ads.

Yes, I was quite amazed that they would use a brand name, such as Special K in a recipe. It would be different if you were reading the recipe off the packet! I've never had Special K, so don't know what it's like. Couldn't they just have said "corn-flakes"? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Yes, I was quite amazed that they would use a brand name, such as Special K in a recipe. It would be different if you were reading the recipe off the packet! I've never had Special K, so don't know what it's like. Couldn't they just have said "corn-flakes"? :rolleyes:
    Nah, corn-flakes wouldn't provide that all important CRUNCH because they don't have the incredibly high sugar content of Special K :)

• Advertisement

dee_mc wrote: »
    Nah, corn-flakes wouldn't provide that all important CRUNCH because they don't have the incredibly high sugar content of Special K :)

I avoid these and similar products for that very reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I enjoyed it, on the whole. It wasn't nearly as good as GBBO but it was never going to be, it was always going to be less polished. It's still watchable though.

I reckon it will improve as the presenter/judges get into their stride. The lack of a show stopper was disappointing though. They could easily make it 90 minutes to counteract the ads. It's hard to judge them on cupcakes (which are relatively easy) and one technical challenge (which looked hard!).

My friend is getting married at that venue next year too so I enjoyed having a goo at the marquee :)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, on the whole. It wasn't nearly as good as GBBO but it was never going to be, it was always going to be less polished. It's still watchable though.

I reckon it will improve as the presenter/judges get into their stride. The lack of a show stopper was disappointing though. They could easily make it 90 minutes to counteract the ads. It's hard to judge them on cupcakes (which are relatively easy) and one technical challenge (which looked hard!).

My friend is getting married at that venue next year too so I enjoyed having a goo at the marquee :)

Hehehe I am actually off to check it out this weekend as a wedding venue for my own wedding :) You would think I know but taking herself and family there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Hehehe I am actually off to check it out this weekend as a wedding venue for my own wedding :) You would think I know but taking herself and family there.
    Congratulations.

That is hilarious. You have to pick it now!

That's hilarious! Hopefully when you get there it doesn't make you feel stressed!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    That's hilarious! Hopefully when you get there it doesn't make you feel stressed!

Believe me I am so nervous that it will :)

Congratulations Chong, I hope ye have a fantasic day. Will it be you or your dad making the wedding cake?:D

Hehehe I will be making the cake but my mum is gonna do a layer too. My dad will give his supervision :)

Believe me I am so nervous that it will :)

Aww, enjoy the venue hunting anyway. My friend is v excited to be having her wedding there :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Yet ANOTHER cookery show on TV ......................

Advertisement