Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Irish Bake Off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Clare did well

Kathy's cake is a bit too "Harvest Festival" Cake for me. It doesn't really say wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Kathy has to win in presentation alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Kathy's cake is a bit too "Harvest Festival" Cake for me. It doesn't really say wedding.

Depends whose wedding it is. Looks class IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I know Cathy's is very hippie-ish, like all of her baking all along, but I think it's she's the clear winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Paul went on a bit too Emer, she knew that it didn't meet the requirements on appearance. OTT in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Not a lot of people know this but my wedding cake - all four tiers - was dropped on the way into the kitchen by the hotel staff...........Lol!! it was served with cream and some sort of goo to hide the crash.......

Just saying........It was grand on the day!!...

True story!!.....

Worthy winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Well I'm glad about that, she was on a different level to Claire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Whoooohooooooo! Well done Cathy!

• Advertisement

In fairness Cathy was the best on the day.

Good for her.

I think this series should be seriously reconsidered..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Cathy shine with her flavours !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

I think this series should be seriously reconsidered..............

........the judges are ridiculous with zero personality - far too deadpan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Kathy won on the cake.

Claire the most consistent over the series, but just wasn't good enough on the final challenge.

Pity about Emer.

Best of luck to Kathy in whatever business she opens.

Somewhat mad, chaotic series. The Fawlty Towers of baking shows, but I tnink I like the car crash nature of it.

Roll on GBBO. September 2016. Only 250 sleeps till it all starts again.

1966 wrote: »

I'd like a Masterclass, 1066.....If you're judging you have to come across with the knowledge and show us novices how?...;)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I feel for anyone who Sky Plussed the show: the recording cut off seconds before they announced the winner!

Bloody X Factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Red Kev wrote: »
    Kathy won on the cake.

Best of luck to Kathy in whatever business she opens.

Already up and running https://www.facebook.com/cathyscakesnbakes/

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

1966 wrote: »

Imagine if they had Adele Twink King (who, to give her credit, is a dab hand at the aul cake-making) as a judge....that might make us wish for Lilly to return.

Or maybe not.

I saw a clip of Brenda Costigan on TV recently - think she was on with the young lad who looks about 14 but who got married this year - Donal Skehan, is that his name? Well, Brenda had a bit of oomph about her - she'd have an opinion and wouldn't be backward about coming forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Well I had it on "record" and the show cut off before the end due to overrun of X-Factor. I found X-F so boring I fast-forwarded through most of it. Never warmed to Louise - in X-F. Sorry for diversion - back to bake-off!

I was ready to throw up watching all of that head/face/neck scratching, hair pushing, licking thumbs, fingers. I didn't see hand-washing in between.

Kathy's cake looked very artistic and well constructed. Clare seemed to be the "cleanest", tidiest worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Did not think much of any of the bakes this week, Kathy deserved winner ...why would anyone think 3 choc / blueberry cakes would be stable enough to stack without using any supports ...surely they had practiced this last challenge...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Eyepatch wrote: »

I was ready to throw up watching all of that head/face/neck scratching, hair pushing, licking thumbs, fingers. I didn't see hand-washing in between.

Watched very little, this time around, but this was my exact reaction tonight. Ugh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm happy with that verdict, worthy winner.
    Next year, if they make another series, I want Louise Lennox as the regular judge, and a different guest judge each week to set a challenge... so Neven Maguire could get them to make something 'nice' using Coole Swan, and Rachel Allen could get them to make something 'mmm perfect' using Irish ingredients, aaaaand Susan Jane White (I think that's her name, she writes for the Independent and has a book out) could set a 'free from' or health conscious challenge, and one of the biddies from the ICA bootcamp could have them make something awful involving offal...
    I'd watch that series :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TracysKitchen

Red Kev wrote: »
    Final night !!

I hope Emer wins it, followed by Kathy, then Claire.

Claire has to be favourite, she's probably learnt from her mistakes, but will she crack again under pressure ?
    She reminds me of the banker from Kerry who won it last year, something not totally likeable about her.

Ouch! 😪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

New to this thread. I was one of the unfortunate ones that had recorded it….stupid bloody X-Factor!

I think Cathy was a worthy winner, but I would like to be invited to Emer's house the most! :D I thought what her friends said about her baking was very touching and she is lovely.

I liked Lily a lot. Anna though? So stiff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

sadie06 wrote: »
    New to this thread. I was one of the unfortunate ones that had recorded it….stupid bloody X-Factor!

Same here! I'm mad!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Anyone watching "Celebrity" version on tonight?

The cookies look like doorsteps........

honeybear wrote: »
    Anyone watching "Celebrity" version on tonight?

Ooh I forgot about it, hope it's recording!

dee_mc wrote: »
    Ooh I forgot about it, hope it's recording!

Are you off enjoying yourself dee?..

Happy Christmas hun! XXX gsw

• Advertisement

Are you off enjoying yourself dee?..

Happy Christmas hun! XXX gsw

We're having early Christmas Grey, getting a bit of practice in for next week!
    Looking forward to celeb special and of course the reactions on this thread!

Advertisement