Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have tips for new Computer Science Graduates looking for their first jobs?

• 19-09-2013 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I'm going to be finishing up my MA in a Computer Science Program around December. As such I would like to get myself in to the job market as quick as possible. Would anyone here care to share any tips on getting a leg in? I've been taught and I would probably be strongest at PHP/MySql and would like to move towards project management.
    Additional skills:
    C, C++, MySQL+ database design, CSS, HTML, PHP, Java, Network Administration, Systems Analysis, Management for Info Professionals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭micosoft

the5thace wrote: »
    I'm going to be finishing up my MA in a Computer Science Program around December. As such I would like to get myself in to the job market as quick as possible. Would anyone here care to share any tips on getting a leg in? I've been taught and I would probably be strongest at PHP/MySql and would like to move towards project management.
    Additional skills:
    C, C++, MySQL+ database design, CSS, HTML, PHP, Java, Network Administration, Systems Analysis, Management for Info Professionals.

As a technology hiring manager....

You need to stand out from the crowd.

Presuming you have a two pager CV absolute tops with no spelling mistakes. Assuming no experience specify all grades and detail projects.

Make sure your LinkedIn profile is perfect. Make sure you have a decent looking photograph on it.

Have a twitter account and throw in one or two tweets a month and follow a couple of interesting coders/tech companies.

Have a couple of projects done that show your technical competence. This is critical and shows both initiative and technical ability.

Try and have something running on AWS or Azure. The future is Dev Ops.

If Project Management is your thing you'll need to get a couple of years in but I'd worry about that later.

When applying or roles do write a relevant cover letter - plenty of examples out there on how to write them. Do specify why you want the role with the specific company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Im working in the IT industry in Australia.
    Plenty of money to be made over here.

If you want to go down the PM route I think you should spend a few years in a technical role. It will give you a better understanding when you become a PM.

If your thinking about down under, pm me , we always have something going for the right candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is the money in OZ same as Ireland for IT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

the5thace wrote: »
    Additional skills:

Are you looking for a coding job and then moving into project management, or are you thinking of going straight into project management?

If you're going for coding jobs, put together your past projects in a Github account. Then employers can see what skills you have.

As for project management, what kind of it are you looking into? The more technical one like product management or more organizational one like coordination of work between staff? For the first option, I'd advise to put together a few project management frameworks. For example, you could take a project that you have done in college, and put together a detailed plan of testing it, deploying it and tracking its progress with your own written tools and Google Analytics.

For the second option, you will really need experience. An alternative to that is to start your own company and try to get a few people to work for you.

Important note: I'm basing these pointers on my own experience in the area of software development, but I am mentioning industry-standard ways of proving your skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

beauf wrote: »
    Is the money in OZ same as Ireland for IT?

More IMO, especially contracting. Depends, I've a family over here so rent is expensive, but if you were a single lad over here sharing a room, jesus you'd make some cash.

Only wish I had come over here sooner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 the5thace

HillFarmer wrote: »
    More IMO, especially contracting. Depends, I've a family over here so rent is expensive, but if you were a single lad over here sharing a room, jesus you'd make some cash.

Only wish I had come over here sooner

That's interesting. Recently I have read so many threads speaking of the exact opposite. Most importantly that there aren't enough job opportunities and that the living expenses are too high to make it worth it. Especially if you are living anywhere central.

I would however be very interested in seeing If it would be possible gaining employment there.

My plan most definitely is to get a few years of experience in coding first and learn the ropes of the industry. Managing the workflow between staff is definitely what I would eventually want to get in to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

At the moment a work placement, grad programme or internship or freelance work the only thing other than grad or entry level jobs. Be sure to have online profile or projects and coding done from college or previous jobs. Open source type project jobs or contract work be handy. Have examples of projects and expand on them when in interviews.

Best of luck!

Advertisement