Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corner lintel

Options
  • 19-09-2013 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

Anyone had a custom corner lintel made?

I need one roughly 4m x 4m. Any idea of a ball park cost?

Just need the lintel. Support posts are in place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

concrete or steel?

Contact Killehsal or double L (concrete and steel), steelite or keystone (steel) and you should get a price very qucikly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

kkelliher wrote: »
    steelite or keystone (steel) and you should get a price very qucikly

Am waiting on both! Was just curious of the ball park. Are we talking 600 or 1800 lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

john_cappa wrote: »
    Am waiting on both! Was just curious of the ball park. Are we talking 600 or 1800 lol!

I would be thinking somewhere around the 1-1400 myself but it comes down to loading and size of steel

kkelliher wrote: »
    I would be thinking somewhere around the 1-1400 myself but it comes down to loading and size of steel

Thanks. I was guessing 1000-1200 would be average. Loading is small. Two courses of blocks and a flat roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would think if your location will allow the use of a typical light weight design, the cost would be down to 600 to 700. If it has to be made from heavier steel section, you would be looking at 1200 to 1500.
    Ive found steelite good but seemingly unwilling to come up with any kind of specials whereas keystone always in my experience come up with a solution - often using much heavier section, but a solution none the less.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    I would think if your location will allow the use of a typical light weight design, the cost would be down to 600 to 700. If it has to be made from heavier steel section, you would be looking at 1200 to 1500.
    Ive found steelite good but seemingly unwilling to come up with any kind of specials whereas keystone always in my experience come up with a solution - often using much heavier section, but a solution none the less.

A light solution is all that is needed I think. There will be 5 points of support. One at the corner, a post half way in each direction and then where it rests on the block leaf.

Keystone are sending out their local rep to the site for a look to see where the posts are positioned relative to the cavity and walls as they are coming from the foundation before they price it.

I rang steelite and the guy told me use the online order form. Not really helpful to be honest but we will see what the come back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Why not buy a length of steel and have someone weld it on site it will cost way less than half the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

650gs wrote: »
    Why not buy a length of steel and have someone weld it on site it will cost way less than half the price

Bumping this thread.

I'd like to know the answer to this and had anyone done this. I've a couple if corner lintels needed for my own extension and was shocked at the prices ( similar to above ).

So if anyone has alternative solutions to a premade one I'd like to hear it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭893bet

Pretty awkward to that for a double leaf corner lintel. Would you engineer stand over someone welding it on site? especially if it has to hold a lot of weight above?

I think mine cost around 850. From either keystone or steellite. Can't remember which. Was fairly large. 4.5 x 4 metres. Double leaf, insulated cavity etc.

Can't see it being much cheaper buying the steel and paying someone to faff around on site making it up, not to mention the structural risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

893bet wrote: »
    Pretty awkward to that for a double leaf corner lintel. Would you engineer stand over someone welding it on site? especially if it has to hold a lot of weight above?

I think mine cost around 850. From either keystone or steellite. Can't remember which. Was fairly large. 4.5 x 4 metres. Double leaf, insulated cavity etc.

Can't see it being much cheaper buying the steel and paying someone to faff around on site making it up, not to mention the structural risk.

^^^^^^ this

Factory built will cost less.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Not just "someone" - get a qualified, ticketed, insured structural welder to weld it correctly on site.

AND get a structural engineer to design and detail the structure and provide working drawings to said welder.

It will not be cheaper to do it correctly on site.

Advertisement