Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone try Pinergy yet??

Options
  • 19-09-2013 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

I signed upto Pinergy this week and they fitted the key pad this morning. The whole thing looks pretty simple and straight forward. Just looking for anyone that has it for a while and would you have any tips on it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

If you buy a simple energy monitor and put it in the kitchen it will show you what you are using in real time and by default you will constantly check the usage on screen and be cutting your overall usage but you will not need to feed the meter. The cost will be repaid in a couple of months based on the rental cost of the Pinergy keypad.
    It is simply a pre payment scheme and you have to rent a monitor.
    If you need to control your usage by a pre payment method then why not put X € into an account each week by Direct Debit to pay the bill rather than pay a company to do it for you?
    If you check the energy saving tips on their website you can see how to make savings day to day for free!
    If you find it hard to put a little aside each month for household bills then I doubt you will be able to make any savings using this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

You're in a contract now so it's academic but I continually find it amazing that people willing pay more for something in an effort to save money on it! When your contract is up,get an owl monitor and tell pinergy to shove their keypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

No-one knows anyone else's specific circumstances unless they originally state them. The main advantage of pre-paid meters for people who for one reason or another switch to one is no disconnection or reconnection fees & of course the fact that they are never cut-off once they have credit & even if they are as soon as they buy credit they are instantly back on without any fanfare. No hefty deposit required & no bank charges for unpaid direct debits or energy provider fees for late or unpaid bills is another plus.

We just have to assume that the OP had a good reason, or reasons of their own to change over.

The earlier advice to the OP to buy an energy monitor isn't at all helpful, as there is a built in energy monitor on pre-paid meters, so it would be a complete waste of money for them to fork out on something they already have.

OP, the usual tips of using appliances such as washing machine, tumble dryer & immersion water heater during night rate hours, as well as switching off anything that you don't need to be on, are probably the only tips that you'll get. By keeping an eye on your meter in terms of usage & consumption you will probably find that you will become more frugal in your consumption & become generally more aware of how much electricity you are using. You will probably save more than the 37cents a day charge for meter rental or whatever it is by doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

mod edit.

Content removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cdarcy89

I have just moved to a house where there already is Pinergy or Prepaypower already installed. I don't know much about either system and both websites spin out all the potential benefits (not surprising).

I'm just wondering what have peoples experiences of these systems been. Are they beneficial or more money efficient?? I haven't had to pay an installation fee so I don't need to worry about that.

What would an average weekly cost be? Would €20 euro per week for example be enough or would this completely trial and error? I see that usage can be tracked from day to day, week to week, month to month etc. but that isn't really much help. I was looking to average a specific amount per month for the sake of keeping to budgets and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thread closed.

I've closed this thread for the time being.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement