Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house offer

Options
  • 19-09-2013 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me, I've just received a phone call from council saying a house has become available in my area of choice would I be interested in it, I've said yes and she's said there's lots of interest do u know what way it works and will there be loads getting the same call as me????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

I would say you are been told nicely if you don't take it someone else will jump on it.

You may have to be interviewed to see if you are a suitable tenant and they may be showing to a few different people, I wouldn't think all at once though.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mrsp08

I would say you are been told nicely if you don't take it someone else will jump on it.

You may have to be interviewed to see if you are a suitable tenant and they may be showing to a few different people, I wouldn't think all at once though.

Usually I've heard of people being shown a house and they either day yes r no.... I've never heard of the coucil showing lots of people how do they decide who gets it, I know in Englabd they do that but I've not heard it done in Cork.... Plenty of prayers & fingers crossed as it's def what I want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Mrsp08 wrote: »
    Usually I've heard of people being shown a house and they either day yes r no.... I've never heard of the coucil showing lots of people how do they decide who gets it, I know in Englabd they do that but I've not heard it done in Cork.... Plenty of prayers & fingers crossed as it's def what I want :)

My partner and I applied for a house and like you we got a phone call saying a house came up in the area where we wanted and we accepted it. A while later we received a letter saying we had been approved. Not long after we had a viewing and were happy.

KKkitty wrote: »
    My partner and I applied for a house and like you we got a phone call saying a house came up in the area where we wanted and we accepted it. A while later we received a letter saying we had been approved. Not long after we had a viewing and were happy.

I'm super excited but scared of being let down, I'm on holidays til Wednesday so the lady is coming out to me Thursday... She asked me is it something I'd be interested in I said it would be a dream I'd take it right away but she did say well I'll see u Thursday but know there's others being considered so that's what deflated me but I've never heard of others being considered....Unless they can't say oh he can have it until I meet with them and they see my circumstances r still the same etc if nearly fly home today to find out lol

I'm super excited but scared of being let down, I'm on holidays til Wednesday so the lady is coming out to me Thursday... She asked me is it something I'd be interested in I said it would be a dream I'd take it right away but she did say well I'll see u Thursday but know there's others being considered so that's what deflated me but I've never heard of others being considered....Unless they can't say oh he can have it until I meet with them and they see my circumstances r still the same etc if nearly fly home today to find out lol

There was around 4 or 5 other people in for the house we got. Get in touch again with the council if you wish saying you'll take the house. As far as I know no one else that was in for my house received a call either.

• Advertisement

There was around 4 or 5 other people in for the house we got. Get in touch again with the council if you wish saying you'll take the house. As far as I know no one else that was in for my house received a call either.

My Mum has said they can't tell me it's mine until they talk with me, but that I got the phone call to see if I'm interested that they only deal with one applicant at a time... I'm just so scared that they've changed rules overnight lol ten couples turning up to view house together lol I said to her oh my God I'll take it and she said u might be lucky now but I need to speak wit u first eeeeekkkkkkk Thursday seems so far away lol

My Mum has said they can't tell me it's mine until they talk with me, but that I got the phone call to see if I'm interested that they only deal with one applicant at a time... I'm just so scared that they've changed rules overnight lol ten couples turning up to view house together lol I said to her oh my God I'll take it and she said u might be lucky now but I need to speak wit u first eeeeekkkkkkk Thursday seems so far away lol

Hope you can relax til then so lol. Is that pretty much the only house in that area that's available now.

Hope you can relax til then so lol. Is that pretty much the only house in that area that's available now.

It's a private estate out the country side they gave me the name so it's by my parents so I'm hoping wishing praying it's mine for the taking it'd be a dream come true....

It's a private estate out the country side they gave me the name so it's by my parents so I'm hoping wishing praying it's mine for the taking it'd be a dream come true....

The best of luck. Really hope you get it. Fingers crossed for you. I know how you feel now.

The best of luck. Really hope you get it. Fingers crossed for you. I know how you feel now.

Thank you so so so so much xxx

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

OP, can I ask you roughly how long you've been on the list for?

snubbleste wrote: »
    OP, can I ask you roughly how long you've been on the list for?

Five & half years... 6 years march 2014

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's a while. Congratulations on the offer!
    Hope things work out for you.

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's a while. Congratulations on the offer!
    Hope things work out for you.

Thank you so much I'm just afraid of getting excited incase it falls thru, lady confused me saying 'so you're interested, but keep in mind there's loads in for it, oh I don't know hurry hurry Thursday lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thank you so much I'm just afraid of getting excited incase it falls thru, lady confused me saying 'so you're interested, but keep in mind there's loads in for it, oh I don't know hurry hurry Thursday lol

Afaik they only talk to one person at a time and only offer a house to one person at a time, They also would have a list of people who are eligible and suitable for that house in order of greatest need and will contact the person on the top of the list first. Only when that person says they won't take it or can't take it for whatever reason will they move to the next person on their list.

Best of Luck with it Mrsp08

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Afaik they only talk to one person at a time and only offer a house to one person at a time, They also would have a list of people who are eligible and suitable for that house in order of greatest need and will contact the person on the top of the list first. Only when that person says they won't take it or can't take it for whatever reason will they move to the next person on their list.

Best of Luck with it Mrsp08

It's how I've always heard of it like that...I'm just so scared to get excited because it's exactly what I want.... Eeeekkkkkk

Well I had the lady from council out, she asked me the ususal questions said she'd pass all the details on and that I'd hear end of October that there's alot in for the house :( Heartbroken to say the least I rang her yesterday she said decision hasn't been made yet and she couldn't tell me any more that it was out of her hands :( I said just say no so I can more on she gave me address of the house and I've fallen in love but why put someone through all this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

I found the council always hold back when it comes to giving out information. When I was getting my house they gave nothing away. I had to wait until I got the call telling me the house was mine. I took about 4 weeks from when I first spoke with them. I was so excited but I still wouldn't believe it until I had the keys in my hand and signed the dotted line.

Good luck OP, really hope you get it. Keep us posted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Good luck!

It is a call I dread as I am very happy where I am...

Pinklady11 wrote: »
    I found the council always hold back when it comes to giving out information. When I was getting my house they gave nothing away. I had to wait until I got the call telling me the house was mine. I took about 4 weeks from when I first spoke with them. I was so excited but I still wouldn't believe it until I had the keys in my hand and signed the dotted line.

Did any of you ever hear them say oh there's lots in for this house??? I've never, I told her look I'm really stressing out I can't sleep as she gave me the address of the house plus wrote her number down for me to contact her... So I left it a week and she said don't be worrying, I can't say no more, the decision hasn't been made but it's 2wks since I got the call surely it doesn't take that long :(:( she did say on the day here's my number and contact me My Mum said she wouldn't hav given me the number if I wasn't in wit a chance.... Also she said if the house is offered to u you'll receive a registered letter but if your not getting the house u'll hear nothing so it's really up in the air two more weeks that's 14 long days lol she gave me the address and it's perfect I shouldn't but I did ... I went up to view it... Perfect!!!!

• Advertisement

Pinklady11 wrote: »

Oh two more weeks to wait.... Why put me thru this lol I said please just tell me no she said u might be lucky thou lol that's teasing me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Count yourself lucky most post people are only getting offers of apartments lately

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Gatling wrote: »
    Count yourself lucky most post people are only getting offers of apartments lately

I think it is clear the op counts herself very lucky and also realises she might not even get it atall. Hate that kind of post... What purpose does it serve

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

dharma200 wrote: »
    I think it is clear the op counts herself very lucky and also realises she might not even get it atall. Hate that kind of post... What purpose does it serve

Somebabys says count yourself lucky you maybe getting house say over an apartment and you find issue

Seriously

Gatling wrote: »

Pointless post!!!!

I'm waiting to be offered I'm being considered I'll count this as a lottery win if I get this house!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

good luck:)
    I hope they are not getting your hopes up for nothing:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    good luck:)
    I hope they are not getting your hopes up for nothing:)

Oh so do I .... Lol
    Especially I told her I've been ill wit worry that just tell me if it's a no.... I'll get over it but the false hope is killing me wanting to be excited but scared too.... Why do this to a person all p's & q's are answered on application day over 3 years ago so why tell someone plus another few applicants also... Not nice but kinda exciting too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

They don't seem to care re people, just their rules.. So sorry you are being put through this.

Take a deep breath and go for a walk!

Rosier wrote: »
    They don't seem to care re people, just their rules.. So sorry you are being put through this.

Take a deep breath and go for a walk!
    So true she was a lovely lady if I don't get it, then it wasn't meant to be etc but just want to know lol

• Advertisement

Thank you so much I got it, tis mine HAPPY DANCE WOOHOO :)

Advertisement