Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work being done on apartment upstairs

Options
  • 19-09-2013 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Hi all..

My head is wrecked.. I'm in a rented property and their is one apartment above mine that's also rented..

Their getting work done the last 2 weeks but some days it's lasting up til 10 at night.. Is this allowed to happen up until this time at night?

I wanna knock in but the gf keeps stopping me.. Before I knock in I just want to know do I have any rights.. I don't mind people getting work done to their place but it's going on ages now and from 8am in the morning.. I work nights so thats my sleep time lol..

Any help appreciated cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I *think* that the law on this is that work can be carried out between 7am and 11pm, but Im not 100% sure about the timing.

First thing that I would be doing would be to get onto your landlord to get in touch with the management company about the noise and see what they have to say. Id be amazed if the complex didnt have rules prohibiting noise after a certain time (usually 9pm).

Unfortunately for work carried out during the day Im not sure what you are going to be able to do. Its unfortunate that you need to sleep during the day but they have to be permitted to carry out the work sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

djimi wrote: »
    I *think* that the law on this is that work can be carried out between 7am and 11pm, but Im not 100% sure about the timing.

First thing that I would be doing would be to get onto your landlord to get in touch with the management company about the noise and see what they have to say. Id be amazed if the complex didnt have rules prohibiting noise after a certain time (usually 9pm).

Unfortunately for work carried out during the day Im not sure what you are going to be able to do. Its unfortunate that you need to sleep during the day but they have to be permitted to carry out the work sometime.

Thanks for your input.. I don't mind it happening during the day I understand that.. Evening time is what bugs me the most.. Especially when it's hitting 10pm..

I will ring up my landlord.. Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

There are general legal rules but in the case of an apartment (which would be even more limited) it could be different check the house rules, via your landlord. I doubt very much it allows for work to take place up until 10pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Generally no noise disturbances after 11pm. However permission is also need for structural changes to apartments. If there for two weeks until 10 pm it must be some refurbishment

Any apartment complex that I have exprienced would have rules prohiting noise much earler than 11pm; usually 9pm or 9.30pm at the latest would be in the rules. 11pm would be entirely unreasonable in an apartment complex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

djimi wrote: »
    Any apartment complex that I have exprienced would have rules prohiting noise much earler than 11pm; usually 9pm or 9.30pm at the latest would be in the rules. 11pm would be entirely unreasonable in an apartment complex.

Our development states it's 11pm, as per the Lease Contract.

Fair enough; Im sure everywhere is different. 11pm is excessive in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

My apartment complex is also 11pm. It's unfortunate op but it at least they stop at 10pm. Some people wouldn't give a **** and keep going til 12 and then you have to get involved. If it's been 2 weeks, it must be a big enough job. Best thing to do would be to pop up and have a polite word about it. Ask them how much longer would it take before they are finished.

Always best to keep nice at first tho. Wouldn't want a falling out when they might be finished in a day or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Their getting work done the last 2 weeks but some days it's lasting up til 10 at night.. Is this allowed to happen up until this time at night?
    Pop up and ask what they're doing.

Sounds like they've been given a deadline, and need to have all the work done by then; it's possible that the last tenants have moved out, and a lot of work has to be done before the next tenants, and as time is money, the LL of that apartment probably wants it done as quick as possible?

Advertisement