Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert help please ! need 585!

• 19-09-2013 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Really need help , notes , helpful websites ,advice etc. about the following subjects
    1) Chemistry 2) Biology 3)Business 4)French 5)Maths 6)English 7)Irish 8) LCVP

I'm hoping to get at least 585 in Leaving Cert 2015 and need all the help I can get. I know Im in 5th year but i need to start doing a bit. Would be really grateful for any help or notes for future topics ill be covering.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Calm down take a deep breath it's not the end of the world right now and it's only September. In my opinion you are better off doing your own notes for starters e.g. bullet points, write down defintions etc.. as you'll learn more and it will be very helpful for yourself. However you must find out what is your learning style as this will benefit you a lot. They are many learning styles like aural and visual.

Take this questionaire to help you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/keyskills/extra/module1/2.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LeavingCert help for 2015

Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I'm in the same boat! Only I do art instead of LCVP. I don't require that many points but would be interested in hearing of any tips or strategies that you guys may have. Cheers!

I know this isn't what you guys want to hear but it is really a personal thing that you find out for yourself.
    I studied each individual subject in different ways. For biology, I would read the notes I had already from my teacher and do an exam question but for English and Irish I would always make notes.
    You need to see what works for you in each individual subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pajc

drop lcvp. waste of time IMO. max u can get is 70 points and if you are going for points this high you probably wont use it for points. im going for similar points and find the extra study time very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I agree re dropping LCVP - our daughter is dropping it next week after only doing it for 3 weeks - just remember only 6 subjects are counted for points. She needs over 500 points too so we all sat down and realised that her time is best spent studying her 7 subjects. The school is facilitating supervised study periods while LCVP is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MichaelFzHD

Hi I'm in 5th year right now and I'm aiming for high points as I want to study medicine. How much should I study this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 McKejo

I am starting out in fifth year and struggling with biology, which I need to get a B in.
    Is anyone willing to sell me their notes from last year ?

Any ideas ? Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You've a much better chance of getting your B if you make your own notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP you are safest with the subjects which require no thought. The subjects my teachers used to say are get the book and just ****ing learn it. I got an A1 in Geography in a learn with just learning an essay book off by heart. I didnt use a text book once. I didnt predict. I just learned all 80 essays perfectly. The same can be done with economics and business.

OP can I ask do you want to do business and Law in TCD. Because I heard its not all what is cracked up to be.Its literally a law degree and a business degree. Not law based on business. I imagine the UCD course is better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Your best option is to make your own notes. In everything.

Not only is it a handy way of studying by forcing you to look up, analyse and understand the core points of a topic but it also means in the future the notes you have are comprehensive and user friendly.

For subjects like Chem, Bio and Business that are more fact orientated this is done by taking a topic, reading, re -reading and hi-lighting the most important parts of any material. You then break up the hi-lighted parts into your own easy to use format, writing it down in a way you understand fully.

For subjects like English and Irish (Literature) this comes from taking a core topic in your pieces and formulating your own interpretation of it into core points with the aid of your teacher or other material that can add to your point.

Subjects like French and Irish (Language) this comes from learning of handy and often used vocab, comprehensive practice of your tenses and their syntaxes and by learning handy phrases that are used colloquially (Ar mhuin na muice, Um Gott es willen) and the like.

For oral I cannot stress enough that you must be able to confidently speak the language. Its not what you say, its how you say it. A student that sticks in a flashy phrase in an otherwise janky exam will come of as someone chancing their are with one or two good phrases. The student that sticks to the basics with coherency and fluidly will come across as natural and well versed.
    How do you do this? Bar a trip to the Gaeltacht or France you talk to your classmates, siblings and even yourself. I spoke to myself in German for months, I thought to myself in Irish. Listen to tapes to be more receptive to the language and to become better at distinguishing words.

For maths its all practice. All practice. I'm in college and its still all practice. No easy way about it.

Sorry for the wall of text. I'll help in any way I can :)

Advertisement