Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

competition and law

• 19-09-2013 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

It might sound silly and i'm not familiar with law (never really plan to brake it) but I wonder if I break some terms and conditions of competition can I be persecuted, fined and jailed?

For example if there is competition which is closed for employees of retail, and I enter it and win for example 2000e, but I work in retail, is it a theft?

Or if I can enter competition only once by terms and conditions but I enter it 50 times?

I know companies would try to avoid to go to court, easiest way is to disqualify person, but what if prize was already paid?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They can request that the prize is returned if you are found to be in breach of the rules. And, they can take you to court for it (civil case).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

There are situations where an act can give rise to an action in either the civil or criminal courts.

The answer to the question of whether a civil cause of action appears to exist is 'Yes'.

The answer to the question of whether criminal liability arises, for example under s.6 theft and fraud offences is 'unlikely'. It is especially unlikely if there were absolutely no safeguards against someone entering a competition 50 times. If there is any criminal liability, it is on the low end of the scale. In practice, the Gardaí would be likely to advise a complainant that this is a civil matter.

Advertisement