Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spicy Squash and Apple Chutney

Options
  • 19-09-2013 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

Just tried the chutney I made yesterday and it's great (if I do say so myself!) so thought others might like to give it a go.
    The beauty of this one is that it can be eaten straight away: even after only 20 hours or so, this tastes mellow and gorgeous (yes, even the vinegar-hating mother loved this one!). Because of the shorter boiling time and smaller quantity of vinegar, it only lasts 6 months or so.
    I've posted the recipe as-is, but added my notes in pink as it's vague in places.

Makes 2kg/4lb 8oz (4 500g jars)
    Prep time 20 mins (35 mins for me!)
    Cooking time 1 hr 5 mins approx. (varies depending on pot size)
    Ingredients
    4 tbsp. rapeseed/vegetable/sunflower oil
    2 large onions, finely chopped (I blitzed them in the processor)
    I fat red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
    100g/4oz piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly shredded (I used a microplane grater)
    15 cardamom pods, bashed open
    2 long cinnamon sticks, snapped in half
    1 tbsp. black mustard seeds (I couldn't get these, so omitted)
    2 tsp cumin seeds
    4 fat or 6 smaller garlic cloves, peeled and sliced (I sliced the garlic v thinly but did not chop it, as the chutney should be quite chunky and rustic :))
    1 kg/2lb 4oz butternut squash or pumpkin flesh, peeled and cut into sugar-cube size pieces (NB this is prepared weight; I used 2 medium butternut squash)
    3 Bramley apples (approx. 500g/1lb 2oz), peeled and cut into sugar-cube size pieces (Do use Bramley apples, as it's important that the apple pieces should break down to make a nice base for the other ingredients)
    1 tsp ground turmeric
    500g/1lb 2oz light soft brown sugar
    300ml/half pint cider vinegar
    2 tsp salt

Method
    1. Heat the oil in a large preserving pan (your largest heavy based pot) then gently fry the onions, garlic, chilli, cardamoms, cinnamon, mustard and cumin seeds together for 5 minutes, until the spices are aromatic.
    2. Stir the garlic, squash and apples into the onions, then cook for 10-15 minutes more, until the onions and apples are soft and the squash yields a little here and there (this step took around 22 minutes for me).
    3. Stir in the turmeric and sugar and let it melt around the vegetables. Simmer for 5 minutes- this process almost candies the chunks of squash, so that it doesn't entirely break down during the next step.
    4. Pour in the vinegar, season with 2 tsp salt, then bring the chutney back to a simmer. Cook, stirring regularly, for about 30 minutes or until the apple has cooked down to make a squishy base for the chutney, with chunks of tender squash here and there, and a little syrupiness at the bottom of the pan- you don't want the chutney to be too dry as it will thicken as it cools.
    5. Spoon the hot chutney into sterilised jars and seal. (I used a heat-proof plastic jug: easier than a ladle as it's quite thick and chunky) The chutney can be eaten straight away, or left to mellow in a dark place. You can store it for up to 6 months.

Delicious with goats cheese or cheddar and nice crunchy crackers. Very pleased with this one, next on the to-do list is Mango chutney!

Advertisement