Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Issues (booting from disk)

Options
  • 19-09-2013 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

I have a live CD Im trying to boot from.

It works perfectly fine in laptop-1

I cant get laptop-2 to boot from it

I can however let laptop-2 boot into windows and then open the disk from there and look at all the files on it.

Obviously the BIOS is set to boot from the CD Drive

When you restart the machine the CD spins up and spins for a good 10 seconds like its going to work but then finally it gives up and boots from the HD instead.

I burned a new CD (with different burning software and a different live linux distro and new CD straight from packet) and its the exact same thing.

Im seriously baffled with this. Any input would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

When it is starting up the just after it checks the ram the should be a message at the bottom of the screen saying press F1 or F9 to go to setup.
    That will take you to where you can check if it is setup to start from CD.
    Did you name the burned CD the same name as the other one.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

Dodd wrote: »
    When it is starting up the just after it checks the ram the should be a message at the bottom of the screen saying press F1 or F9 to go to setup.
    That will take you to where you can check if it is setup to start from CD.

You mean the boot order in the BIOS..? Yeh thats already set to boot from the CD first and then harddrive second..

Dodd wrote: »
    Did you name the burned CD the same name as the other one.?

I didnt put a name on the CD at all. I just left it blank. Would that effect it? I might just burn another one now and put a name on it and see what happens.

I'm not up to date on PC,s but the name used to effect it because it would be looking for D:\(win something )\startup.
    So the wrong name and it won't find the startup file.

Windows 8 peice of $hit, after spending over 2 hours messing with this I finally figured out that Windows 8 prevents you from booting from live disks as a security feature. Bunch of a$$holes. And apparantly depending on what BIOS you have, you could be in for a world of pain trying to get your CD's to work.

Right, so problem 1 is solved. The live CD is booted up.

Problem 2 is the live CD cant see the harddrive.... well, it can see the recovery partition. But thats it. It thinks the recovery partition is the full disk. No doubt, this is another Windows 8 security feature.

This is going to be a long night.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Check this out, might be of some use to you.

edit: Your live CD OS might not be able to understand GPT. This is just a guess.

• Advertisement

TskTsk wrote: »
    Check this out, might be of some use to you.

edit: Your live CD OS might not be able to understand GPT. This is just a guess.

You're right on both counts. That link appears to be whats the problem alright. And as you say, the live CD hasnt a clue what GPT is.

I'll come back to it tomorrow. Its waayy too late for this messing.

Since the laptop 1 works ok you could switch HDD,s if compatable and install on that then put it back in laptop 2 and update drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Is it a Windows 8 laptop? Disable UEFI secure boot/enable legacy boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

SEE
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=270351

. This one explains it quite well:

Basically, you need to disable "Fast Boot", disable "Secure Boot". Once you disable Secure boot, you should be able to change from UEFI OS to CSM OS which enables us to boot from CD again.
    is there a boot from usb option? in the bios menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihVJMuYbN5U
    boot from cd win 8 .
    what model is your laptop ,eg sony 670t

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

• Advertisement
Advertisement